Forum Design feedback time

• Posted: 17 September 2012 04:40 AM #16

I just had a Eureka moment

Please make he new engine look exactly like the old one..

Posted: 17 September 2012 05:00 AM #17

Downunder, I feel like everything in your first post has already been addressed by Dave and me. That’s not intended as a flippant answer, but I don’t see continually rehashing some of these things to be particularly useful.

In the spirit of moving on, we have a new site design. The forums exist as an extension of our overall branding, and thus need to match the look and feel of the new design.

We provide them as a service.

I think the edit error you received was because the post double posted. I deleted the second one almost immediately, and you may have inadvertently been trying to edit that one and received an error because the post no longer exists.

We haven’t seen other instances of double posting, but will be on the lookout in case it’s a bug.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 17 September 2012 05:06 AM #18

thanks Brian yes i had a problem posting as my post did not appear the first time

Also In the spirit of moving on I cant add anything more to the requests list besides
    putting these Urgent job on top your list..

Being able to find the last post quickly , and remove all the excess empty space

Posted: 17 September 2012 08:33 AM #19

Ok, seems we had a nice dust-up last night. I’ve forked this discussion, so that the discussion between AFB and TMO has its own thread, keeping this one clean for the actual list of changes. I just need it to keep me sane as we iterate through this list of suggestions, addressing what makes sense in the order we can do it. If a newly-suggested fix gets implemented before your earlier-suggested fix, don’t sweat it—some of these things are just easy to do quickly, and we’re splitting resources on this one until we can get full focus back on the forums, which will be a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 17 September 2012 09:07 AM #20

Ok, it seems as though in the merging and moving that happened last night, my post about the *fixes* that we did on Saturday night got deleted?

Anyway, we did two things.

#1 - We added navigation to the top of each thread view as well as the bottom. Hopefully that helps you (I know it helps me!).

#2 - In the interest of better functionality AND on tightening up white-space we cleared up a LOT of the wasted link space in the poster-info box to the left of each post. That should keep shorter posts from taking up more than their amount of vertical space.

Working on more today, too.

Thanks, all.

Signature

Posted: 17 September 2012 09:26 AM #21

And with that, most-requested-functionality-fix #3 has been implemented: We’ve added links to the latest activity (and poster) in the topic rows.

Hopefully that helps, too!

Signature

• Posted: 17 September 2012 10:34 AM #22

Fix the goddamn login bugs.

I’m not logged in. But I go to login, and I’m already logged in. Back to the page, which now shows me being logged in. Compose a post, submit it, now I’m told that I have to provide username & password, and my post is gone unless I remembered to select all & copy before submitting.

That is bush league. The design, well personal tastes vary and so on. But you rolled out this change with the most basic functionality broken.

Posted: 17 September 2012 11:43 AM #23

The login bugs are a bit more… esoteric (not the impact of them, but the testing of them).

We have (just now) rolled out a fix that I believe will help. Or at least is on the road to making things better. We won’t know for a couple of hours as login timeouts and cookie timeouts all make their way forward, but… I think this may do it. Please do keep us posted, and we’ll be testing, too.

Signature

Posted: 17 September 2012 04:14 PM #24

Good news. Based on our testing here the login bug we were able to reproduce is now fixed. Please do let us know if you continue to have any problems with it, of course.

Signature

Posted: 17 September 2012 06:21 PM #25

Why does the Login button in the blue bar show my avatar and username when I’m reading articles, but just say “profile” with the generic white head-and-shoulders icon when I’m reading the forums?

Posted: 17 September 2012 06:34 PM #26

mrhooks - 17 September 2012 06:21 PM

Why does the Login button in the blue bar show my avatar and username when I’m reading articles, but just say “profile” with the generic white head-and-shoulders icon when I’m reading the forums?

That’s one of those things that drives me crazy, too. The short answer: it’s an ExpressionEngine thing. The long answer: We have a workaround in mind, but obviously there are more important things to squash.

Logins sticking now for everyone? I think we’ve gotten that one squashed.

Signature

Posted: 18 September 2012 09:07 AM #27

Just a quick update—we tweaked the CSS this morning to rid us of some of the bonus white space in the threadview, but it will require a force-refresh of at least some of your browsers to load the new CSS. Option-reload (or Cmd-Opt-Reload for you keyboard shortcutters) should do it on your Mac in Safari or Firefox.

Chrome requires a Shift-reload (or Cmd-Shift-R) to grab it.

[ Edited: 18 September 2012 09:12 AM by Dave Hamilton ]

Signature

Posted: 20 September 2012 11:13 AM #28

Good morning, all—Just a quick note that we’ve added (or perhaps repurposed) the avatar in the header as the private message notification box. It will let you jump right to your inbox at any time, and if you have new/unread messages, it will tell you that, too.

Give it a spin, let us know what you think.

Thanks!

Signature

• Posted: 20 September 2012 09:00 PM #29

When the new format came out, it seemed like a triumph of glitter over substance. 

The major issue for me was the amount of whitespace, especially vertically.  It would be a bit like reading a report that was triple spaced.  One would just have to flip pages just to get a glimpse of the whole.  The whitespace issue was most troublesome in the postings, and somewhat at the topic level.  There has been some improvement since all the rants.  In my view, some more tuning needs to be done.

Three small ideas regarding spacing:

Top level:  The left column of the list of threads is blank.  Put the
          Page: ( 1 2 3 … 6 )
    On the same line as the title so more threads can be seen on one page?

Individual posts: Eliminate the blank line at the bottom of each post, since the following post has plenty of spare room at the top, as
      Posted: 14 May 2012 2:39 PM #47
    on the right effectively act as a blank line.

Signatures:  Some signatures have several blank lines within and this gobbles up space, especially for frequent posters with long signatures.

Posted: 21 September 2012 03:18 PM #30

Just now I was commenting in a forum then went to another tab to check something. When I returned to the forum I found that all of my text was gone. I don’t know if that is something from iOS and Safari or something at your end.

I am still having login problems in iOS, Safari crashes. To login I need clear cookies and data. I get logged out after a period of time.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster