OT:  iPhone 5 accessories/recommendations thread

Posted: 16 September 2012 11:28 PM

I think the very fact that I’m setting up this thread means I’ll be buying an iPhone 5 in the very near future…:lol:

Anyway, for those of us looking into some add-ons or cases/screen protectors for their new iPhone 5 - feel free to post recommendations or questions here (for those “early adopters” looking for vendors with a good history) or reviews (once the iPhone 5 and said accessories actually ship).

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 17 September 2012 12:34 PM #1

Zagg.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 17 September 2012 01:01 PM #2

I’ve actually used just about every brand of clear/shield screen protector, and the $2 ones from Amazon have worked just as well as the $20 name-brand ones.

There’s a trick to applying them, and while everyone has their own proven method, mine involves spraying slightly-soapy water on the “sticky” side of the shield *and* spraying it on my fingers, too. It’s the latter part that made all the difference, and I can now put those things on in my sleep. wink

As for cases, that’s gonna be tough out of the gate. It usually takes vendors a little while to get their case designs just right (i.e. it’s near-impossible to do based on specs alone and takes an iteration or two before it “just works”). So… I think we’re all in the ‘naked iPhone 5’ boat for the near future. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 20 September 2012 02:02 AM #3

Dave Hamilton - 17 September 2012 01:01 PM

I’ve actually used just about every brand of clear/shield screen protector, and the $2 ones from Amazon have worked just as well as the $20 name-brand ones.

There’s a trick to applying them, and while everyone has their own proven method, mine involves spraying slightly-soapy water on the “sticky” side of the shield *and* spraying it on my fingers, too. It’s the latter part that made all the difference, and I can now put those things on in my sleep. wink

Wow. You are a geek, aren’t you? LOL

Posted: 20 September 2012 07:14 AM #4

DawnTreader - 20 September 2012 02:02 AM

Wow. You are a geek, aren’t you? LOL

Hey, it’s in my job description. LOL

Signature

Posted: 20 September 2012 12:29 PM #5

I’ve used screen protectors, but they really detract from the experience. I’m usually much happier when I remove the screen protector than when I get it.

A better approach to protecting the screen is to get a case that extends out from the screen a bit, so that when the phone is upside down on a flat surface, the only part touching is the case, not the glass (like my phone is right now). I’ve had my iPhone 4 over 2 years now, and barely notice any scratches on it (it’s had a case on the whole time).

Bigger question for me is how to get adapters. I pre-ordered my iPhone from Apple a week ago (due tomorrow—my confirmation email was received at 3:24 AM EDT), and even then they were sold out of the adapters. I’ll probably be braving the crowds tomorrow morning, not for an iPhone, but for an adapter and another cable.

[ Edited: 20 September 2012 12:32 PM by mlvezie ]      
  • Posted: 20 September 2012 12:38 PM #6

I hope they come up with an iPhone 5 bumper. IMO, it is minimal, provides medium protection to falls, but the best thing is that it elevates the screen/back a mm or so off the surface.

I do agree that the latest iPhones don’t need screen protection.

Posted: 20 September 2012 05:36 PM #7

I’m talking to quite a few iPhone users and their not upgrading because of the smaller connector. They think Apple is ripping them off with the 30 dollar adapter that they will have to purchase for all there accessories.
    I don’t have that many accessories so its not an issue for me but I can see their point of view.

• Posted: 21 September 2012 01:53 AM #8

Infohunter - 20 September 2012 05:36 PM

I’m talking to quite a few iPhone users and their not upgrading because of the smaller connector. They think Apple is ripping them off with the 30 dollar adapter that they will have to purchase for all there accessories.

Purchase one (short) adapter, plug it into the iP5 and then surely you can plug your new phone into any of your old accessories?

• Posted: 22 September 2012 02:35 AM #9

jecrawford - 21 September 2012 01:53 AM

Purchase one (short) adapter, plug it into the iP5 and then surely you can plug your new phone into any of your old accessories?

One adapter can go a long way…

The other issue to consider is all new Apple iOS devices will use the new connector. An adapter purchased today will be in use for quite some time if one owns a bevy of older accessories.

Posted: 22 September 2012 11:48 PM #10

I don’t have that many accessories so its not an issue for me but I can see their point of view.

It will rapidly become a non issue, but inertia is a strong force.  Part of the problem of Apple’s desire for secrecy means the accessory makers are left in the dark wether that is cases or connectors.  I’m sure the folks doing car integration are feeling the most spite but it is safe to say that we have a bunch of pissed off engineers.  That said they suddenly realize they have a whole new market for all the folks needing the new connector and from an engineering view it is a better interface .  An all digital interface allows the pins to be dynamically assigned based on the connection so we have lots of good, but short term the transition sucks, especially for the folks who built their system based on the old interface.

• Posted: 24 September 2012 02:59 PM #11

I got the iphone5 Friday and found that Sam’s Club has Ballistic brand black color case that is a shell gel and drop protection for only $19.99. Even though Sams does not have the iphone5 yet to sell they got the cases in. Just ask the clerk and they will pull it out of stock for sale.

Posted: 24 September 2012 04:12 PM #12

I’m definitely on both sides of this fence, given that I’ve got *so* many cables and gizmos with 30-pin connectors on them, including all of my *other* iOS devices.

Still, after I plugged that Lightning connector into the iPhone 5 the first time, I was happy about the change (and willing to deal with the transition period and cost). It’s *such* a better connector. First, it’s reversible, meaning you can plug it in either way and don’t have to fumble in the dark trying to figure out which way is up. Second, it’s so much more solid than the micro-USB connectors out there. I have some battery cases for older iPhones that use those, and with daily use those things get loose and wear out in a year or so. I don’t feel like that will be the case with the Lightning connector.

So, yep, I just received my spare Lightning to USB Cable from Apple (for $30, thank you very much!), and I’m sure I’ll buy quite a few more of these in the next several months, along with a couple of 30-pin-to-Lightning adapters, as well. Change is fun, isn’t it? wink

Signature

• Posted: 02 October 2012 04:33 AM #13

Are u saying that people who have invested in the apple ecosys and accessories which can easly add up to 1k$+ have a problem spending 30 bucks for an adaptor?