Ios 6 maps

• Posted: 19 September 2012 01:42 PM

Has anyone downloaded ios 6 and played around with the maps?
    I have seen some photo comparisons of the goog maps on ios 5 and 6. ,, and statlite view ohitos if ios 6 seem horrible ....Is this true?

See link below

http://9to5mac.com/2012/09/19/apple-releases-ios-6-to-the-masses-now-available-over-the-air-to-ios-5-users/

Posted: 19 September 2012 02:47 PM #1

I just installed IOS6 and I do not see what is shown on 9to5mac.com. Would help if I knew exactly where they were looking. At my current location in central Florida, it looks just fine even fully zoomed in.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 19 September 2012 02:52 PM #2

Intruder - 19 September 2012 02:47 PM

I just installed IOS6 and I do not see what is shown on 9to5mac.com. Would help if I knew exactly where they were looking. At my current location in central Florida, it looks just fine even fully zoomed in.

Do u mind writing a little about your impression of the maps….  Are they nice.. Good search…. Detailed steet name/  info etc on maps…?

Please let us know.. As this is my one and only concern about ios 6!
    Thank you

Posted: 19 September 2012 03:20 PM #3

Well, first quick look at it, the vector-based maps look really good and download quickly. Search seems to be pretty quick. I tried the “iphone repair” search that was noted in the 9to5Mac article (stating that it didn’t work for a variety of reasons), and it found an iPhone repair shop near me almost instantaneously, so that article is in error. As far as street names, I searched for my home address (which is in a new development) and it found the address correctly, but the map did not have the names for any of the streets in the development showing. The satellite view is also about 2 years out of date. Did the same search for my work location and viewed the satellite view and that photo is about 2 years out of data also. By comparison, Google Maps sat view of my neighborhood is about 7 months out of date. Same for my workplace.

Hope this helps.

Signature

• Posted: 19 September 2012 03:43 PM #4

Intruder - 19 September 2012 03:20 PM

Well, first quick look at it, the vector-based maps look really good and download quickly. Search seems to be pretty quick. I tried the “iphone repair” search that was noted in the 9to5Mac article (stating that it didn’t work for a variety of reasons), and it found an iPhone repair shop near me almost instantaneously, so that article is in error. As far as street names, I searched for my home address (which is in a new development) and it found the address correctly, but the map did not have the names for any of the streets in the development showing. The satellite view is also about 2 years out of date. Did the same search for my work location and viewed the satellite view and that photo is about 2 years out of data also. By comparison, Google Maps sat view of my neighborhood is about 7 months out of date. Same for my workplace.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much…
    Definitly helps

U give it tumbs up or u think google map should also be an option?

• Posted: 19 September 2012 04:52 PM #5

I just installed ios6 on iphone 4s

The maps are great..
    Search is great

Level of zoom goes way beyond goog maps.. ( i am comparing goog maps on my ipad to ios6 maps on iphone 4s)

On some zoom levels goog has more info and street names.. But only in some zoom levels.
    Ios6 has all details, crisp clear when zoomed in enough.

Satellite views are crips and detailed .. 
    Satalite full 3d view are mindblowing
    In have full 3d for where i live..( burbank studio city, in la area). I can zoom down to almost rooftop level( no quite but close)
    I can fly through and over the streets like a bird.. Full detail crisp like a photo… Unreal
    In many ways makes up for lack of street view which i love and will miss…  But it is not a full substitute!

I am blown away by it… And no longer concerned about the ios maps as i was before testing it and only having read articles.

I am sure it will evolve as time goes by… But it is fantastic.

Panorama cam is mindblowing too… A 2 yearold can do it… Results are unreal.. And even more mindblowing They are instant!

That is it.. That is all i have played around with so far

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:51 AM #6

I put iOS6 on my iPodTouch. No 3D, but that’s not unexpected with the A4 chip. Maps do load quickly. Map view I can zoom in just as close as GM. Satellite view in my area (Vancouver Island) is terrible. GM lets me zoom in to my house enough to see individual shrubs in the yard, moss streaks in the roof, and sunroofs in neighbors cars. With the new MapsApp I see a blob where my house should be. Cars are nearly invisible blobs in the dark image and general blobbiness of trees and houses. The image is also quite old. GoogleMaps shows my house with changes I’ve made in the last year. Maps.App still has the previous owners motor home in the driveway.

Overall accuracy seems on a par with GM in my area at least. Satellite view is much worse. I miss street view. (Was that available on the iOS5 MapsApp? I’ve used StreetView but I don’t remember if I’ve used it on my iOS device.)

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:53 AM #7

Any idea where Apple got their satellite data? Much seems to parallel Bing.

Signature

• Posted: 21 September 2012 11:02 AM #8

I have held off upgrading to iOS 6 because of the maps. I live in a big city (Chicago actually) and rely on the Maps app a lot to find my way around. Even a slight inaccuracy is a big deal. Seeing that example of the guy who tried to find a Manhattan address and Apple Maps showed him Brooklyn was enough to make me wait until Google releases a maps app on the App Store. (Assuming they will.)

• Posted: 21 September 2012 01:05 PM #9

Nonsuch - 21 September 2012 11:02 AM

I have held off upgrading to iOS 6 because of the maps. I live in a big city (Chicago actually) and rely on the Maps app a lot to find my way around. Even a slight inaccuracy is a big deal. Seeing that example of the guy who tried to find a Manhattan address and Apple Maps showed him Brooklyn was enough to make me wait until Google releases a maps app on the App Store. (Assuming they will.)

I just played around the chicago are… Chicago has full 3d rendered maps.. Looks incredible!
    I cant test for accuracy… But looks great.
    Where i live, burbank,studio city , LA i have had zero inaccuracy problems.

Plus on standard view i can zoom more than i can on goog.

Posted: 21 September 2012 01:49 PM #10

No accuracy problems on this end. The 3D images look very Papier-mâchéish and was thinking Ellen Carlier was used by Apple…

• Posted: 21 September 2012 02:37 PM #11

[quote author=“Winky Dink” date=“1348249755”. The 3D images look very Papier-mâchéish and was thinking Ellen Carlier was used by Apple…

If u mean patchy…. Mine are like a photograph.. Crisp clear…in most areas i have checked out!

Posted: 21 September 2012 10:43 PM #12

I actually live in Japan and have upgraded my 3GS to iOS6.  Specifically about iMaps(Maps) - it isn’t very accurate here in regards to my current location.  Even if I put in my specific address, the ‘pin’ is nearly 1/4 mile away. Beyond that, the app works.  But Google maps and even Bing maps is better for my location via Safari.

I hope it improves.

As a sidebar,  iOS6 on a 3GS works fine.  It feels ‘snappier’ than iOS5.  BUT, both versions really push the 3GS hardware.

• Posted: 22 September 2012 12:44 AM #13

I installed iOS6 on my iPad 2 and iPhone 4. On both the speed maps are rendered is fantastic. More so on the iPad than on my “old” iPhone. I have not discovered any errors when mapping places an streets in southern Ontario.  Satellite view in the iPad is great, but not so great on my iPhone. When mapping routes I am presented with 3 choices, which is great.

I really don’t know what all the fuss is about. It is a perfectly useful application, which will get better with future updates.

• Posted: 22 September 2012 02:31 AM #14

The new Maps appn. is not accurate in the UK. My post code seems to have been truncated. My location info’ says I am in Sale when in fact I am 3 to 4 miles away in Altrincham.

Needs some work to sort this out!

Posted: 24 September 2012 12:38 PM #15

Well, I finally updated to iOS 6, so I could see the damage. I use a dedicated turn-by-turn GPS for driving, so I don’t need to rely on the iPhone maps.

What Apple got right:
    Cloud over my area in Google maps is gone.
    Speed is impressive.
    All roads present and accounted for, appears to be accurate in my community.

What they got wrong:
    Almost no POIs for the city, compared to Google.
    Some locations seem slightly “off” (I.e. it swapped my location and the Greyhound station the other day: looked like i was sitting in the parking lot and the busses ran from my apartment, green “park’ designation is off by a couple road-lengths, bleeding into the neighbouring community.)
    Map changes to black and white just up the road.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.