Ios 6 maps

Posted: 24 September 2012 04:16 PM #16

I’m curious to see where they go with this. I never relied much on Google Maps on my iPhone, but when I did, I *needed* it. For me, I used it mostly for walking and/or public transportation. My guess is that’s what *most* people used it for simply because it couldn’t do turn-by-turn. So Apple gives us this solid turn-by-turn GPS app but took away the function everyone likely used it for. Seems like an odd choice, but that’s what Apple’s all about: starting up the steamroller and doing what they know is right, iterating as they go.

So yeah, I’m curious to see where we are with this in about 12 months. In the mean time, I’m very happy that NAVIGON added “Urban Guidance” to their nav app (and it integrates well with Apple’s Maps app, too). So at least I’ve still got something. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 28 September 2012 10:26 AM #17

I’ve only used it a few times, but I’m not a huge maps user. I didn’t care about not having turn-by-turn because I like reading maps, so we used Google maps pretty much just when traveling. Apple maps seem pretty accurate so far, the satellite data of my house (in Rochester NY) is actually within a few weeks of the Google data. I can tell because luckily they both have shots of my sons big swing set in the backyard under construction, and I can see the boxes in my yard. :)
    I’m hoping the vector-based maps will provide superior printed versions; Google really sucked in this area. And I’m going to find out how easy it is to add changes to Apple maps. I’m in charge of the maps at the University where I work, and trying to get something changed with Google is a real pain. It took me weeks to convince them that there wasn’t a lake where a building is!
    Hearing everyone’s comments makes me feel like upgrading my 4S now.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 28 September 2012 01:58 PM #18

I use Google maps a lot on my iPhone4 to quickly look up the location of a nearby business by name or type (e.g. office supplies, gas station, Starbucks, whatever).  So the accuracy of the Point-of-Interest database is important to me.

I have a loaner iPad at work I just upgraded to IOS6.  I checked to see if it could find the nearby Apple Store at 679 N Michigan Avenue here in Chicago.

First of all, the icon and pin are on a building across the street on the even-numbered side.  In Chicago, all north-south streets have even numbered buildings on the west and odd on the east.  Very basic, and they got it wrong.

But it gets worse:  Not only does it have the pin on the wrong side of the street, but the details for the entry indicate that the address is in Evanston, IL (suburb immediately north of Chicago).  If you click “Directions to Here”, it does show you the highlighted map with directions to that address in Evanston (which also has a Michigan Avenue, but it is a different, residential street there).

If they can’t even map their own Chicago flagship store, how can I trust the rest of their database?  Based on the accuracy of mapping the Apple Store, I will definitely hold off on upgrading my iPhone4 to IOS6!!

A friend told me they partnered with Yelp for a lot of the POI data; if so, that was a big mistake!

[By the way, I did submit an error report via the build-in tool in the IOS Maps application.]

• Posted: 28 September 2012 04:42 PM #19

I am liking the Maps app.

Yes there are errors, but then there are still a lot of errors in google maps also.

I have been actively making corrections on errors in my location. Mostly location pin in wrong location, names not consistent etc.

The satellite views, expecially for my area are newer than what is on google maps.

I have also found in the few direction searches I have done (in my area, and for a trip coming up next weekend) that ios map directions were better than google maps directions. Google would have us going 80 miles on small 2 lane state highway, apple maps show two routes that are better. One is Interstate all the way and the other is interstate part way and exiting interstate 1 exit earlier than google maps show and having 10 miles on 2 lane US Highway and 60 miles on 4 lane US Highway. Much better that what google was showing.

So I’m happy so far, your mileage may vary, but remember Google has had 10 years of inputs to their data base and still have glaring errors. Apple is just starting and will get better, probably faster than anyone expects.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Posted: 17 October 2012 04:10 PM #20

I don’t use maps a whole lot on my iPhone, but the new iOS 6 maps haven’t let me down yet. Personally I like it.

Posted: 28 November 2012 11:21 PM #21

I don’t see what all the fuss is about either.I’ve used the app maybe 15-20 times and it never failed.  Like the multiple routes. The pin location is in the middle of the street outside my house-about 50 ft away from me.  When i used it to find a restaurant i wanted to drive to, it led me eight to it. It’s found every business I have put in. I don’t use it for anything else so I’m not seeing any shortcomings.

Signature

pbg