can i run mountain lion? (Please move to Geek Gab)

Posted: 27 September 2012 03:32 AM

So, I was minding my own business on the Apple website, trying to order a non-existent iPhone 5 (at least non-existent in and around Cleveland, OH) when I read that I’d need OS X 10.6.8 or higher in order to sync the elusive device with iTunes. Well, that made me gulp! You see, I have zero idea how old my much-loved MBP 2.16 GHz Core 2 really is. It’s been out of warrantee for years. However, since its only annoyance is a bulging battery, (Yeah, I know I need to get that fixed), I haven’t worried about it. That is, until now.

I fretted and thought about chewing my fingernails only to realize, “Aha! I have a whole Earth-sized plethora of Apple gurus at my disposal. Why don’t I high tail it on over to MacOb and see what the denizens there have to say?” And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I am posting on this board which, I might add, is far more difficult to find after the new, and generally much-better and prettier, format change.  MacObs, you’ve never let me down before, so please don’t spoil your record. Can my MBP run Mountain Lion and, therefore, sync my much-anticipated iPhone 5 once Apple, Inc. gets around to building enough to send one my way?

On a related note, I’ve donated my 700 MHz eMac to my computer-challenged uncle. Although it has, I think, 640 Mb RAM and will run a hack of Leopard, I want to get it back up to speed with a copy of Tiger. The problem is that I never bought Tiger nor put it on any of my machines. They all went from Panther to Leopard. Does anyone know where I might find a copy of Tiger that hasn’t been loaded with viruses that will hack into the Pentagon and launch our remaining nukes at our own cities?

Thanks, folks. I know that someone will help a fellow Machead out in a pinch. I really, really do love the new design and colors. I just wish someone had considered putting an icon in the menu bar for forums as opposed to putting the text on the bottom of the page with all the other minutia. But that’s just me.

[Edited out what might be considered an ill-advised, though thoroughly truthful, good-natured compliment concerning the man in charge.]

If a moderator or administrator would move this thread to Geek Gab, I would be appreciative. I can’t seem to get an answer in this section of the forum.

[ Edited: 29 September 2012 12:48 AM by MacTad ]      

Posted: 29 September 2012 05:01 PM #1

As far as I can tell, your machine was discontinued in mid 2007 (if it is type ID MacBookPro 2.2), or late 2006 (if it is type ID MacBookPro 1.1). You can find out the type ID under “About This Mac” and get the system info.

In any event, according to Apple, Mountain Lion will only run on Macbook Pros released since mid-late 2007. So, it doesn’t seem that it will work on your machine.

As far as Tiger is concerned, eBay or a Mac User’s group would seem to be your only options. Or Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002G71T0/lowendmac00-20

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 30 September 2012 02:44 AM #2

I apologize for the formatting. I can’t seem to get paragraphs to separate unless I insert a line break and quoting, at least in preview mode, doesn’t seem to indent or change to a noticeably different color of font or background. Perhaps this is part of the frustration I’ve briefly read about. Whatever the case, I’ve tried to make quotes a tiny bit more obvious.

Intruder - 29 September 2012 05:01 PM

As far as I can tell, your machine was discontinued in mid 2007 (if it is type ID MacBookPro 2.2), or late 2006 (if it is type ID MacBookPro 1.1). You can find out the type ID under “About This Mac” and get the system info. In any event, according to Apple, Mountain Lion will only run on Macbook Pros released since mid-late 2007. So, it doesn’t seem that it will work on your machine.

Thank you so much, Intruder, for moving the thread and for helping me with figuring out when my beloved MBP may have been made. It is a 2.2 model, but I have no idea when it was manufactured. It would appear to have been made in mid-2007. The trick is figuring out whether it was before the model’s cycle ended or after. Based on recollection alone, I’m going to guess it was before. That’s because this is actually a replacement for a MBP that I tried to have repaired through AppleCare, but since Apple couldn’t fix it, they gave me the one closest to the old model I’d sent in.

I think Lion will work, but I’m not sure about Mountain Lion. I think it will work, but I’m not sure. What ticks me off is that I’m going to have to get a copy of every freakin’ OS Apple has distributed to catch up. There’s no way of simply buying the needed, current version. So, I’m going to try eBay and hope I can get better pricing than Amazon.

Intruder - 29 September 2012 05:01 PM

As far as Tiger is concerned, eBay or a Mac User’s group would seem to be your only options. Or Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002G71T0/lowendmac00-20

Again, eBay is calling my name, dangit. Oh well.

Posted: 30 September 2012 11:01 AM #3

These are the models that are compatible with ML, by model identifier:

iMac 7,1 and later
    MacBook 5,1 and later
    MacBook Pro 3,1 and later
    MacBook Air 2,1 and later
    Mac Mini 3,1 and later.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 30 September 2012 09:06 PM #4

Intruder - 30 September 2012 11:01 AM

These are the models that are compatible with ML, by model identifier:

iMac 7,1 and later
    MacBook 5,1 and later
    MacBook Pro 3,1 and later
    MacBook Air 2,1 and later
    Mac Mini 3,1 and later.

I’ve just purchased a new copy of Snow Leopard on eBay for $91.40 inc. shipping. That price still stings—and not in any way that’s even remotely good.

I’ve also just peeked at the Apple Store online. According to their estimates, I won’t get a phone for three to four weeks. I am debating whether or not to place the order online or keep bugging my brick and mortar Apple Store. Theoretically, the three to four weeks the online store is claiming is a very conservative estimate. After all, this is a company that routinely under-estimates its stock guidances only to beat everyone’s expectations. It’s in their corporate DNA. Therefore, maybe, just maybe, that’s what they are doing now.

Whatever the case may be, I am so over this continual under-stocking of new and wildly anticipated products. I have resigned myself to the need to buy at least two new Macs within the next nine to twelve months. I’m waiting for the iMac refresh that’s coming down the pike any month now, but probably in November. I suspect there will be a rush on those as well. I love Apple to its core, (pun intended, sort of), but this is enough to make a person scream. If I, a regular consumer, feel this way, how do business clients who have mission critical deadlines feel? This crap is just bad for business no matter how it’s sliced. (That was an unintended pun.)

Posted: 01 October 2012 07:14 AM #5

Just FYI, the system requirements for the iPhone 5 list 10.6.8 as required to sync.  10.6 is Snow Leopard, not Mountain Lion (10.8).  Your MacBook Pro should be able to sync with the iPhone just fine.