the “what are you listening to right now” thread..

• Posted: 16 January 2003 02:12 PM #31

Right now? The Corrs, a European pop-type group. Very good music though - not like the sludge that gets passed off as “pop” in the US. (They’re almost unknown in the US, incidentally - they’ve stated that whereas they’re mobbed in England, they can walk in the streets of New York without any harassment. smile )

Thank you Apple for making the iPod. Brightens my day to be able to listen to my music, my way, whenever i want. raspberry

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

Posted: 16 January 2003 02:55 PM #32

I got The Corrs Talk On Corners album shortly after its release. I’ll end up getting In Blue at some point, but they definitely bump up against the border of my pop sensibilities, so it’ll be during one of my pilgrimages to the used store (which is not a bad thing, a good percentage of my CDs come from there smile )

Now listening to Donovan, Get Thy Bearings.

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 16 January 2003 03:05 PM #33

[quote author=“someToast”]I got The Corrs Talk On Corners album shortly after its release. I’ll end up getting In Blue at some point, but they definitely bump up against the border of my pop sensibilities, so it’ll be during one of my pilgrimages to the used store (which is not a bad thing, a good percentage of my CDs come from there smile )

In Blue is rather pop-like, moreso than Talk On Corners, I think. Try to find Forgiven, Not Forgotten - that’s probably my favorite of their three US releases so far. It also has the wonderfully peppy violin instrumental Toss the Feathers. Yeah, yeah, I know, too much info at once. :D

As a note, Gadget (the iPod) is now playing Enya’s The Memory of Trees album. Next up will be some synthpop, probably. smile

Jason

Signature

• Posted: 16 January 2003 08:22 PM #34

iTunes is playing Vienna Teng’s debut album “Waking Hour” through my headphones.  I never would have heard of this except I happened to wake up at the right time last Sunday for a bit on NPR (long story, read my blog for more details).  Highly recommended.

http://www.viennateng.com/

• Posted: 17 January 2003 01:45 AM #35

PJ Harvey - Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea
    PJ Harvey and Jon Parish - Dance Hall at Louse Point
    Sonic Youth - Dirty

(Yes, I know I’m showing my age here raspberry )

I’ve had this (there’s no other word for it) Polly-Jean Harvey obsession since I was fifteen. Great music, wonderful woman. I still think To Bring You My Love is her best album. Every one in a while, I listen to one of her albums. They get better and better the more I listen to them.

Sonic Youth is another of my all-time favourites. Goo, Daydream Nation and Dirty are in my all-time top twenty list.

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 18 January 2003 04:28 PM #36

Audioslave-cochise on radiostorm (itunes stream)

Signature

A Mac Daddy in a new level.

• Posted: 18 January 2003 04:38 PM #37

[quote author=“someToast”]I got The Corrs Talk On Corners album shortly after its release. I’ll end up getting In Blue at some point, but they definitely bump up against the border of my pop sensibilities, so it’ll be during one of my pilgrimages to the used store (which is not a bad thing, a good percentage of my CDs come from there smile )

used rocks! when i lived in L.A. (3 years ago) i used to make a weekly pilgrimage to a used music store, Rockaway Records. by far my favorite place to be for music.

Signature

A Mac Daddy in a new level.

Posted: 21 January 2003 07:18 AM #38

[quote author=“DeKU”]used rocks! when i lived in L.A. (3 years ago) i used to make a weekly pilgrimage to a used music store, Rockaway Records. by far my favorite place to be for music.

There’s just something soothing about the constant background click-click-click of disc-flipping. I start to get the shakes if I haven’t been there in two weeks.

I like my local Cheapo because being a former Best Buy building it’s huge, has a great selection, and is open until midnight 365 days a year. smile

<ObOnTopic>
          Ryan Adams - Gonna Make You Love Me
    </ObOnTopic>

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

• Posted: 22 January 2003 10:52 PM #39

Noel Gallagher - Teotihuacan

• Posted: 22 January 2003 11:12 PM #40

[quote author=“David Nelson”]Noel Gallagher - Teotihuacan

Off the X-Files sound track, or off his album (if he has one)?

I recall it from the X-Files soundtrack. I don’t remember what it sounds like, but I remember I liked it. smile

Currently: Roundabout from Yes. I’ve been getting to listen to a lot of Yes tonight, including some songs I’ve never heard before (such as Machine Messiah, off Drama).

Jason

Signature

Posted: 22 January 2003 11:43 PM #41

[quote author=“JVarner”](such as Machine Messiah, off Drama)

Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums. It’s an odd one in the sense that that particular band line-up (with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downs having replaced Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman) only recorded that one album. Incidently, I saw them on that tour. Machine Messiah is a great song! smile

Mine? Well it would be The Supernatural Anaesthetist by Genesis from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 23 January 2003 08:23 AM #42

[quote author=“bweels”]Mine? Well it would be The Supernatural Anaesthetist by Genesis from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

A great album, though I don’t listen to it too often anymore.  I was a huge Genesis fan in the early 90’s, buying all the old albums, but I guess I burned out eventually.

Right now, I’m playing completely random songs, and giving them star ratings.  I only started giving ratings last night, and I have 1091 songs right now, so it’ll take a while!  Tool’s “Schism” just started playing, hmmm, I think I’ll give it 4 stars.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 23 January 2003 10:22 AM #43

[quote author=“JVarner”][quote author=“David Nelson”]Noel Gallagher - Teotihuacan

Off the X-Files sound track, or off his album (if he has one)?

It’s from the X-Files CD. smile

• Posted: 24 January 2003 06:47 AM #44

Sigur Ros - Svefn G Englar

Signature

Colin

• Posted: 24 January 2003 07:57 AM #45

“Pretty Vacant” - The Sex Pistols

(Rather appropriate, given this morning’s meeting)

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde