the “what are you listening to right now” thread..

• Posted: 24 January 2003 09:52 AM #46

[quote author=“bweels”][quote author=“JVarner”](such as Machine Messiah, off Drama)

Drama is one of my favorite Yes albums. It’s an odd one in the sense that that particular band line-up (with Trevor Horn and Geoff Downs having replaced Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman) only recorded that one album. Incidently, I saw them on that tour. Machine Messiah is a great song! smile

Yes has had so many rearrangements that it’s hard to remember which is which. smile I’d never heard anything off Drama, but I like what I’ve heard so far. Glad to find a fellow fan. How are their recent albums, if you have them? The latest I’ve heard are Talk and Union, both of which I like.

Mine? Well it would be The Supernatural Anaesthetist by Genesis from The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

The only Genesis album I’ve heard is We Can’t Dance which I also enjoy. It seems to be “socially-conscious rock”. Plus, it has a good sound.

Wonderful to know someone has the same tastes in music that I do. smile

Right now: MIchelle Tumes (a recent Christian artist), album Listen, her debut.

Jason

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

Posted: 24 January 2003 01:47 PM #47

Vivaldi - Scottish Chamber Orchestra / Jaime Laredo - Spring (“La Primavera”) - Concerto No.1 in E, P.241: Allegro

(Gotta love The Big Shuffle—it’s being played one song after Southern Culture on the Skids)

Signature

Rob

widgets :: music :: photos :: twitter

Posted: 24 January 2003 06:19 PM #48

STP - Big Empty
    off their Purple album..

Signature

-Louie

Posted: 24 January 2003 07:54 PM #49

[quote author=“JVarner”]Yes has had so many rearrangements that it’s hard to remember which is which. smile I’d never heard anything off Drama, but I like what I’ve heard so far. Glad to find a fellow fan. How are their recent albums, if you have them? The latest I’ve heard are Talk and Union, both of which I like.

The only Genesis album I’ve heard is We Can’t Dance which I also enjoy. It seems to be “socially-conscious rock”. Plus, it has a good sound.

With both of these bands, I’m much more familiar with the older stuff. Drama is actually the newest Yes album I own! Same with Genesis. My collection stops at And Then There Were Three… from 1978. Beyond that and Phil Collins started taking the band more mainstream, and they lost something special. Or maybe I just resisted change. smile Their best work, IMHO, were the three albums following Peter Gabriel’s departure (A Trick of the Tale, Wind and Wuthering, And Then There Were Three…). They were still greatly influenced by him, but were able to pull away from the outer creative fringe and produce some gorgeous stuff.

[quote author=“JVarner”]Right now: MIchelle Tumes (a recent Christian artist), album Listen, her debut.

I’ve only heard a couple songs, but I like what I’ve heard. A little bit Enya-esque almost.

Right now iTunes is playing Lily of the Midnight Sky by Bruce Cockburn from World of Wonders.

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 25 January 2003 03:20 PM #50

She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

• Posted: 26 January 2003 12:54 PM #51

Steve Reich - Music for 18 Musicians - Section XI

• Posted: 26 January 2003 01:22 PM #52

Black Eyed peas and macy gray “Hey DJ”

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

• Posted: 26 January 2003 01:52 PM #53

Something Corporate - Konstantine

• Posted: 26 January 2003 10:25 PM #54

Cold Cold Heart—Norah Jones—Come Away With Me

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 26 January 2003 10:28 PM #55

Bj?rk - It’s In Our Hands

• Posted: 26 January 2003 10:30 PM #56

#41—Dave Matthews Band—Crash

And, as an idea, how about adding a favorite lyric or part from the song?  I’ll start….

“I will go in this way
    and find my own way out.”

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 26 January 2003 10:39 PM #57

Tonic - Flower Man (from the X-Files movie album—not the score, but the other one smile)

(I don’t have a favorite lyric, but that’s a good idea, Brad.)

• Posted: 27 January 2003 10:34 AM #58

Still doing completely random iTunes songs: now listening to Can-Utility and the Coastliners from Genesis, from the album Foxtrot in 1972.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 27 January 2003 02:44 PM #59

I like exploring the possibilities on the iTunes radio stations. Right now I’m listening to British Blues Radio, which has played great tunes without too many repeats (and no ads of course!)

Signature

It’s safe as long as you remember it’s dangerous…

• Posted: 28 January 2003 12:40 AM #60

Daniela Mercury - “Il? Perola Negra”

Great Brazilian Samba music, and an ideal way to kick off the day…

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium