Samsung $500 Galaxy Camera—why???

Posted: 12 November 2012 06:08 PM

+

Samsung is unveiling an impressive point-and-shoot, 16-megapixel, Android Jelly-Bean-powered, AT&T data-networked camera for $500. The specs are very impressive:

$500 Samsung Galaxy Camera Hits AT&T Friday

I just have to wonder: With dSLRs near that price range, and smart phone cameras nearly as capable (plus, ya know, they have that “phone” thing included), does this really have a market at all? I just have to wonder what large market they think they can grab when so many point-and-shoots are going the way of the dinosaur. Given the money, I’d stick with my iPhone 4S and an entry-level dSLR for more serious photography.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 15 November 2012 02:45 PM #1

Agreed. I am also confused by this product.

The primary advantage I can see is that it offers purportedly better quality than leading mobile phone cameras with the ability to upload images anywhere via a cellular data connection.

Mobile phones can already play the upload anywhere game, and DSLRs are starting to get Wi-Fi functionality (Canon 6D). At a lower price I can see the Galaxy camera being a nice option for folks not interested in a larger DSLR, and maybe the $500 price is simply the early adopter penalty in action.

It will be interesting to see this camera in action, and see where it goes in the future price-wise.