RSS Reader that Syncs with iCloud

• Posted: 26 November 2012 11:58 AM

Hi all, I’m late to the RSS bandwagon - I’ve dabbled with it years ago but never really got into it.  But now that it seems that I’m following more blogs and than just general news sites, I’m finding myself itching to give RSS a try again.  So I’m looking for an RSS reader that syncs with iCloud so that I can access the same RSS lists on both desktop and mobile devices.  I could use GoogleReader instead of iCloud but I’m concerned about Google’s data mining faux pas’ in the past weren’t just accidents.  Searching on my own yeilded a promising app called Pulp that was available on both the iTunes Store and Mac App Store but sadly it will no longer be updated after it’s developers were acquired by FaceBook.  I was wondering if anyone else had any suggestions on what I should be using, or comment on what kind of workflow should I be adapting?

• Posted: 30 November 2012 02:47 PM #1

Good question, but I’m not sure if there’s a good answer just yet. I sympathize with your desire to avoid telling Google more about yourself, but it seems that all the best RSS clients sync their data to Google Reader.

Personally I use and love Reeder on iOS and Mac, but Google Reader is the only service it syncs to. To me it’s the perfect app except for the fact that it doesn’t support any other services. Seems to be par for the course, though.

If you find any good options elsewhere please be sure to share them, and I’ll do the same. I agree that one that syncs to iCloud would be ideal.

Edit: A service such as Readability might be a good compromise but it doesn’t completely replace the functionality of Google Reader. It lets you sync a collection of links you want to save for future reading, but it doesn’t actually manage subscriptions for you. You still have to find our content somehow and then save the articles you’re interested in. http://www.readability.com

[ Edited: 30 November 2012 02:54 PM by David Nelson ]      
  • Posted: 02 December 2012 03:29 AM #2

Thanks for the update

• Posted: 14 December 2012 09:59 AM #3

Thanks for those suggestions David.  I ended up setting up a GoogleReader account for now and just relying on the Web interface through.  Eventually I’m thinking I’m going to try out Reeder for OS X and iOS.  And if I ever get around to learning iOS programming now I have a good experimental app to start working on. smile