Spinning Beach Ball in iPhoto

• Posted: 29 November 2012 08:31 AM

Hi Gang,

When I open iPhoto 08 ver 7.1.5 I get the spinning beach ball for about 15-20 seconds before I can use the program.

I have deleted the p list file and rebuilt the library but this didn’t help. I also deleted the program and reinstalled from a backup but no good there. I guess my backup has the same problem.

I am running OS X ver. 10.8.2 on an iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 gb of ram.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    John

Posted: 29 November 2012 11:06 AM #1

How many photos?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 29 November 2012 01:32 PM #2

I have 4620 photos.

• Posted: 30 November 2012 03:02 PM #3

Edit: Never mind, I wrote suggesting rebuilding the library, then I noticed you had already done it. smile

• Posted: 03 December 2012 08:30 AM #4

Do you think the upgraded version of iPhoto would eliminate the spinning beach ball?

I don’t want to upgrade if I don’t have to but on the other hand I don’t want to loose my photo’s either.

• Posted: 07 December 2012 04:01 PM #5

How much free space do you have on your boot disk?  Try this:  launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and check to see if the same problem persists.

If it does log into another user account on your Mac and try iPhoto there.  Is it the same slowness?

Signature

Old Toad
    G5 Dual Core 2Ghz, 2G RAM, 250G HD, 200GB FW,  22” SD, OSX 10.4.6, QT 7.0.4, Canon i850, Epson R200, Nano-blk

• Posted: 08 December 2012 07:01 AM #6

Thanks for the suggestions. I have over 200g available on my drive.

I tried doing a test library and the same problem persists. I also logged in as a guest user and that didn’t work.

To clarify, when I open iPhoto, my pictures appear on the screen and about a second later the beach ball runs for about 20 seconds and after it stops everything works normally.

Other ideas?

Thanks,
    John

• Posted: 08 December 2012 12:22 PM #7

Make a temporary, backup copy (if you don’t already have a backup copy) of the library and try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file,com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your
        User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete iPhoto’s cache file, Cache.db, that is located in your
    User/Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto folder (Snow Leopard and Earlier).
    home.PNG
    or with Mt. Lion from the User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto/
    Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.iPhoto
    folder

iP11mtlioncache.png
    3 - launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: If you’re moved your library from its default location in your Home/Pictures folder you will have to point iPhoto to its new location when you next open iPhoto by holding down the Option key when launching iPhoto.  You’ll also have to reset the iPhoto’s various preferences.

NOTE 2:  In Lion and Mountain Lion the Library folder is now invisible. To make it permanently visible enter the following in the Terminal application window: chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit the Enter button - 10.7: Un-hide the User Library folder.

Signature

Old Toad
    G5 Dual Core 2Ghz, 2G RAM, 250G HD, 200GB FW,  22” SD, OSX 10.4.6, QT 7.0.4, Canon i850, Epson R200, Nano-blk

• Posted: 08 December 2012 02:50 PM #8

Old Toad,

Thanks for the suggestions. I deleted the plist and cache files but the problem still persists.
    Maybe I will try to delete and reinstall the program if I can.

John

• Posted: 08 December 2012 03:02 PM #9

Before you reinstall the application try this:  launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and check to see if the same problem persists.  If it doesn’t then your current library is probably the culprit.

If that’s the case make a backup of your library if you don’t already have one and do the following: rebuild the library by launching iPhoto with the Option and Command keys held down.  In the rebuild window select the options in this screenshot:

Signature

Old Toad

• Posted: 08 December 2012 03:31 PM #10

I have already done those things. See above.

• Posted: 11 December 2012 01:30 AM #11

I have the same thing happening on my 2.5 GHz Intel core i5, 4 GB RAM Mid 2011 Mac Mini. The little beach ball of concern spins for 8 to 10 seconds before I can use iPhoto. Enough time for me to distract myself by putting the ball inside the spinning wheel thing going at the center of the iPhoto window.

I call it the “iPhoto game.”

Did you know that the beach ball fits very nicely inside the spinning wheel?

Those Apple designers!

Anyway, my guess is we just don’t quite have enough RAM for poor old iPhoto, as it struggles to load our mushrooming photo libraries.

It’s an idea. What do you think? Needs more RAM?

Hope you are enjoying a fine day.

-Charlotte

• Posted: 11 December 2012 08:54 AM #12

Thanks Charlotte,

I have 4 g of ram and I am running iPhoto without opening other programs so I don’t think memory is the problem, however one never knows. As I mentioned before I am running iPhoto 8. I don’t know if I upgrade that it will fix the problem. After the beach ball stops the program seems to run fine. My biggest concern is if there is an underlying problem with the program I might loose my photos. I do have them backed up, however.

John

• Posted: 11 December 2012 10:42 AM #13

Having back ups is very good.

I have my complete iPhoto library copied on to no less than four separate hard drives, not including the main library on my Mac Mini. One of those complete copies is in a hard drive, stored off-site (in a drawer at my parent’s house).

I have photo stream turned on for three computers and the setting saving photo streams to the library enabled in iPhoto’s preferences.

Is it possible that some of the beach ball shenanigans might be due to iPhoto contacting iCloud servers right when it gets started?

I have to admit I really like Photo Stream. Makes it easier to keep the various copies in sync. This is true even though iPhoto tends to be pretty predatory when importing in new photos, with the photo stream starting immediately, even before I have a chance to cull through the photos. Like a good equestrian giving her steed it’s head through difficult terrain, I let iPhoto do it’s thing. Anyway, at least I know the latest 1000 photos are backed up in the cloud and that’s a plus.

Have a good day.

-Charlotte

• Posted: 11 December 2012 11:40 AM #14

My apologies. You said you have iPhoto 09, version 8.1.2, so no Photo Stream. Sorry about that.

Yeah, the beach ball spinning dance occurs on my Mac Minis with iPhoto 11. Worse on the mid- 2007 GMA 950, 2GB RAM one than this discreet graphics card mid-2011 one.

On my old 2005 Mac Mini with 1 GB RAM and iPhoto 09 it comes up taking about the same amount of time, just doesn’t do it showing the beach ball as much.

(Yes.. I have a Mac Mini farm thing going on here. Could start my own tiny closet server company.)

(Can’t help it! Mac Minis are like the Eveready battery bunny.. they keep going and going…)

Sorry I am not so helpful.

-Charlotte