Time Machine Help!

• Posted: 08 December 2012 10:14 AM

I have been doing a lot of work on some photos for my son’s high school football team, editing thousands of photos in photoshop then moving them into iPhoto for cataloging and storage.  In the middle of a session my 2011 Mac mini locks up with a checkerboard pattern on the screen.  A hard reset seems to be the only solution.  After a re-boot iPhoto starts rebuilding the the thumbnails in my library.  All of the events from the current work session are now gray and contain no photos but work from the previous day is still intact.  I try rebuilding and that does not work.  So now I turn to Time Machine.  My iPhoto library is stored an an external 1 TB drive that is connected to a 2009 MBP and shared over the network. 

I’m not sure if this part is relevant but just in case, about a 1/2 hour before this happened, I got a message saying that my Time Machine backup could not be verified and need to be replaced - this is on the Mini where I am working but the iPhoto library is connected to to the MBP and is backed up a an external drive connected to that machine. 

I am able to do a restore of the iPhoto library from the most recent back up but it seems to have the same problems as before.  So I attempt to do another restore of the iPhoto library from and hour before.  But now any of the files as I go back in time are grayed out, are not able to be selected for restore and I can only select the most recent backup.

I have 2 additional external hard drives connected to the MBP that seem to be working just fine.  I can go back in time and restore any files.

The Time Machine drive is a FW Drobo dedicated just for backing up.  It has two back up files on it.  One for the Mini and one for the MBP that also has 3 external volumes connected to it and backing up. 

I’m running 10.7.5 on both machines.

Any help would be much appreciated!  i have to deliver photos of all of the senior football players in 5 days for their banquet and I may have just lost a good chunk of them!

Thanks again!

Brad

[ Edited: 08 December 2012 10:16 AM by brussell ]      
  • Posted: 11 December 2012 01:57 PM #1

Just a quick thought if you haven’t already figured this out…

Go to your home folder, then Pictures, and control-click on the iPhoto library. Click Show Package Contents.

Now, don’t mess with anything in here in terms of moving or renaming it because that will screw up your library. BUT if you browse through the folders in here you might be able to locate the pictures you’re looking for. Specifically I would check the Masters folder. If you can locate them, make a duplicate somewhere else so that you can import them to a new, working library on a different computer.

Also, any chance the problems are actually coming from a problem with iPhoto itself rather than the library? If you have the same version of iPhoto on another Mac, have you tried opening this library on that other computer and seeing what happens?

[ Edited: 11 December 2012 02:00 PM by David Nelson ]