What’s Your Must-have iPhone or iPad App?

Posted: 12 December 2012 11:39 AM

The number of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch apps is growing daily, and some of those are must-have gems. Which apps are on your can’t-live-without list?

Posted: 12 December 2012 11:43 AM #1

I couldn’t narrow my choice down to one, so here are a few I can’t live without:

- 1Password
    - TextExpander Touch
    -OmniFocus
    - Tweetbot
    - Fantastical
    - Simplenote

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:16 PM #2

Apple Apps
    Mail
    Calendar
    Other Apps
    CBC Radio
    Skytracker
    Twitter

[ Edited: 12 December 2012 12:24 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 12 December 2012 12:40 PM #3

Must have a to-do list.  I bought an iPhone 3G to reduce my paper planner + cellphone into a single high-tech device.  I’ve been using Appigo ToDo for this, though I have many ideas for making a much better ToDo list if I ever get around to it.  I use ToDo with Apple’s Calendar (since it doesn’t have it’s own calendaring component).

Replacing the 3x5 cards I used to carry in my planner is Apple’s built-in Notes app.  Works fine for me.  I haven’t liked a few alternative note apps that I’ve played with. On the iPad it’s a different story, because I like to use a stylus for hand-written and drawn notes.  I’m currently using Notes+ there.

Beyond those I would add 1Password, Dropbox, and the apps for my bank and credit card companies.  On the iPad iBooks and Kindle are also very important.

Oh, forgot to mention Mail, Phone and Camera which are also critical features of the device. (Camera because this replaces my point-and-shoot for all practical purposes.)

Recap:
    iPhone
    - Appigo ToDo
    - Apple Calendar
    - Apple Notes
    - Apple Mail
    - Apple Camera
    - Apple Phone
    - 1Password
    - Dropbox
    - bank and credit card apps

iPad
    - Notes+
    - iBook
    - Kindle
    - 1Password
    - Dropbox

Honorable mention for iPhone is GuitarToolkit, which is very handy and replaces a $20 digital tuner, but non-critical like the above-mentioned apps.

Posted: 12 December 2012 01:35 PM #4

Yelp
    PlainText (for grocery shopping) I have PlainText on 6 devices in our house.
    Digital Credit Union

Signature

Dave Barnes
    +1.303.744.9024
    WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

• Posted: 12 December 2012 01:41 PM #5

Apple apps

Clock (alarms and timer)
    Mail
    Contacts
    Maps
    Calendar
    iBooks (iPad)
    iPhoto/Photos
    iMovie
    Safari
    Find Friends
    Find iPhone

3rd Party apps

SoundHound
    The Weather Channel
    What’s On?
    Yelp
    Urban Spoon
    WordBook
    Rhyme (iPad only)
    San Diego 311
    my AT&T
    Wells Fargo
    Pages (mostly on my iPad

• Posted: 12 December 2012 01:56 PM #6

Easy:

RedLaser

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/redlaser-barcode-scanner-shopping/id474902001?mt=8

Posted: 12 December 2012 02:35 PM #7

In addition many of the aforementioned apps I want to add

Torch

This is a flashlight app that uses the camera flash on an iPhone. Real handy, but may be a battery drain. I rarely use it for more than a few seconds.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 12 December 2012 04:30 PM #8

Lee Dronick - 12 December 2012 02:35 PM

Torch

This is a flashlight app that uses the camera flash on an iPhone. Real handy, but may be a battery drain. I rarely use it for more than a few seconds.

There are a bunch of flashlight apps.  Handy since then I don’t have to hunt for a flashlight but I still have to unlock the screen and hunt for the icon.

The flashlight app I was using (a free one) decided to add advertisements in addition to the excessive strobe and color cycling options it already had.  That was too much overhead when I just want to quickly get into a flashlight.  So I wrote my own.  It’s not on the app store though so I can’t share.

Posted: 12 December 2012 05:27 PM #9

webjprgm - 12 December 2012 04:30 PM
    Lee Dronick - 12 December 2012 02:35 PM

Torch

There are a bunch of flashlight apps.  Handy since then I don’t have to hunt for a flashlight but I still have to unlock the screen and hunt for the icon.

The flashlight app I was using (a free one) decided to add advertisements in addition to the excessive strobe and color cycling options it already had.  That was too much overhead when I just want to quickly get into a flashlight.  So I wrote my own.  It’s not on the app store though so I can’t share.

That would be very handy, not having to unlock the screen. I have the Torch icon in the lower right corner of the home screen so it is relatively easy to find, but it is still a few steps away.

I have never had to use the strobe feature, but it is probably a good idea to have it available.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 12 December 2012 06:29 PM #10

+

In no particular order (iPhone 4S):

Apple apps:
    Phone (yes, I actually use it as a phone!)
    Mail
    Music
    Camera
    Photos
    Calculator
    Contacts
    Calendar

Third-Party apps:
    Facebook and Messenger
    AccuWeather
    Angry Birds (all flavors)

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 26 December 2012 09:24 PM #11

My most-used third-party apps are 1Password, Tweetbot, Netbot, Fantastical, and Reeder.

The built-in apps I use most are Mail, Messages, and Safari.

• Posted: 31 December 2012 04:30 AM #12

Apple Applications that i use the most are :

Mail
      Alarm
    Phone

The third party applications are :

Facebook
    Viber
    News applications
    Accuweather

• Posted: 08 February 2013 01:36 AM #13

My must-have iPhone apps: