RAM Recommendation

Poll: Given the specifications listed below what brand of RAM would you buy?
Total Votes: 2
Ramjet
Crucial
Other World Computing
Kensington

Posted: 16 December 2012 06:56 PM

I’m updating the RAM in my laptop (MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 15-inch Mid-2012. Not Retina). I’m adding 2 x 8.0GB 1600MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM PC12800 204 Pin.
    The question is what BRAND should I get
    RamJet has it at $129.
    Other World Computing has it at $97.50
    Crucial has it for $81.99
    Kensington has it for $137.00
    Prices are all over the map. I’ve done a lot of business with RamJet and like them but they are on the high end. Crucial has a good rep but it’s the cheapest and that makes me nervous. Other World is in the middle and I’ve heard good things about them but have never had occasion to get anything. FWIW Apple is nuts. Their RAM is $200 for 8Gb. Not going to happen when it’s my $$ that’s going out the door.

So, what RAM would YOU go with.

[ Edited: 17 December 2012 08:55 AM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 17 December 2012 12:11 PM #1

I used to buy exclusively from Crucial but switched to OWC around 2010. I’ve purchased a few dozen sets of RAM for various computers (MacBooks, iMacs, Mac Pro) and only had a single DOA chip. Notified OWC and they sent a replacement overnight.

Regardless of their sponsorship of TMO this week, I’d still recommend them and I always check with them first, going to another vendor only if the price is abnormally higher than other option.

• Posted: 18 December 2012 12:33 PM #2

Thanks for sharing.