But I want to keep on using MobileMe Backup!

Posted: 26 December 2012 01:52 AM

This may sound really daft. And it’s not not really a brag about my new 27” iMac (OK, maybe it is).

A couple of days ago as a non-Christmas present to myself (atheist: it was a coincidence, really!) my iMac turned up. And I got it all installed and it was fine. Very fine. Everything came across from my last Time Machine backup perfectly. But there have always been a couple of directories which I never wanted Time Machine to touch because they were huge, and I wanted to back them up on a weekly basis instead of when a delta was detected.

One of them is where my Blizzard games are, because every time WoW or Diablo fires up, it does a Unix touch on all the files in the directory, instead of just the ones that have changed. The other is my Parallels virtual machines - at 50Gb as one of them is, I’d be chewing up my NAS in no time. I used Retrospect for a while, before Time Machine, but it’s only PowerPC and obviously won’t run.

So I remembered about a year ago that I had Backup, as part of my old MobileMe membership. I set that up to copy from these two directories to the NAS on a weekly schedule and everything was peachy. It seems to work in a slightly dissimilar way to Time Machine, but with a scheduler. I restored these two backups to the new iMac and then noticed at the bottom of the window:
    Trial Mode
    Limited to 100MB per backup

It’s my guess that when it was running on my old machine it had set something somewhere to indicate that I was a MobileMe member. But I’ve looked through the Backup-related plist files in Preferences and I can’t find anything there.

Obviously my MobileMe membership was moved over to iCloud, but not that Backup was part of the package.

I don’t care that Backup isn’t supported, or may not be actually that good. But it works really well for me, and I want it back again!

I’ve asked Aunty Google, but she doesn’t appear to know anything. Anybody got any bright ideas? Anyone know which Preferences file to look at? Or is the MobileMe tag stored somewhere else?

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 28 December 2012 12:22 PM #1

I used to use MobileMe backup but left it behind when it disappeared from my Mac. I now use ProSoft’s Data Backup to do my individual folders and other “odd” stuff, and it works great. Not free like MobileMe Backup, but… it’s better anyway. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 28 December 2012 01:00 PM #2

Laurie-
    Check out Dolly Drive which gives you a lot of what you loved about MobileMe (and iDisk) and the versioned backups of Time Machine. The Space feature gives you virtual storage that is accessible from anywhere and actually lets you share files & folders from directly within the application.  The online backup does large file incremental backups including of virtual machines and more. You can even view & restore files by application. And for ultimate backup, it includes a bootable clone feature. Dolly is the only cloud backup & storage service built for the Mac experience. We’d love for you to give it a test.
    Leigh Kessler, Dolly Drive

Posted: 28 December 2012 03:57 PM #3

Thanks, Dave. I’ll check it out. It’s galling though to know I had a licence for Backup which still works on my old machine, but doesn’t on this one.

As for Dolly Drive - that misses the whole point in several ways. I want to back up these directories locally; I don’t want to clone the whole drive; I don’t want to back up 100s of gigabytes over the internet and pay a regular charge for the so-called privilege. I’m sure it’s a fine product, but it doesn’t suit me at all.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 28 December 2012 04:09 PM #4

Got ya Laurie. Because of MobileMe we thought you were looking to utilize cloud here as part of your solution. Our dashboard gives you control for doing local backups too (and quite a lot of granularity for assigning what should go where), in addition to cloud storage. But….if it ain’t what ya need….smile

That said, if you do decide to incorporate cloud, we’d love to show you how you can design a solution that works. Either way, enjoy your new iMac. Lots of jealousy from our developers over here!