Macbook Pro 15 Sound

• Posted: 22 February 2013 01:03 AM

My Macbook Pro 15 recently encountered a problem. No sound is coming out through. It’s case with both the headphones and internal speakers? Can anyone advise me on this?

Posted: 22 February 2013 09:57 AM #1

First thing I would try is to reset the PRAM. Shut down the computer, then start it up holding down the following keys until it boots the third time (you would hear the reboot chime 3 times if the sound is working…):

cmd-opt-p-r

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 22 February 2013 01:20 PM #2

Agreed on the PRAM reset. Failing that, try starting up from the recovery partition and see if you get sound then (a good test is simply changing the volume—it should return that “blip” sound as you go up and down).

If it works with the recovery partition but NOT with your Mac normally booting, try booting in Safe Mode (shift key down) and see if it works there. If it DOES, then that’s an indication that you have some software (likely 3rd party, but not necessarily) that’s not working. First step there would be to reinstall the latest Combo Updater for your OS (presumably Mountain Lion).

If it never makes sound in any of the above, then it’s likely unfortunately a hardware issue. But let us know… there’s some uber-smart people here that may have even MORE ideas. wink

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 22 February 2013 06:37 PM #3

I would also check the settings in “Audio MIDI Set-up”.

When I have had difficulties in the past, occasionally outputs have been found to be inexplicably altered there.

• Posted: 27 February 2013 04:32 AM #4

Tried out all the methods. But no success :(

• Posted: 18 March 2013 06:30 AM #5

Can there be any other suggestions? if taken to service centre,  is the possibility of high repairing charge possible for this?

• Posted: 18 March 2013 06:06 PM #6

Hi Gelfo,

I have the same sort of problem with my mid-2007 Mac Mini. No sound when anything is plugged into it’s headphone jack. (It has no internal speakers, of course being a Mac Mini.) My suspicion is something is wrong on the motherboard with the port. My idea is confirmed in that System Preferences/ Sound reports that there is no output device installed. Yikes!

But I get sound out of my Mac Mini just fine because I have a Lightsnake USB microphone/ headphone set plugged into one of the USB ports. I took the headphone off and plugged into it a set of speakers and I have no problem hearing everything. Just make sure the USB device is selected in System Preferences/Sound.

This is what I have:

http://www.amazon.com/LightSnake-STICHAT-USB-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B000H7H9N2

But it’s discontinued, so you might try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-S150-Speakers-Digital-Sound/dp/B000ZH98LU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363643663&sr=8-1&keywords=usb+speakers+for+computer

In any case, try USB speakers, or USB headphones and see if you get sound out of those.

Hope this helps.

-Charlotte

• Posted: 20 May 2013 10:38 PM #7

You could also try pairing with a Bluetooth speaker set if you have one.  I use a Logitech with my 15” MBP, and that works fine.  Mind you my internal speakers work fine too, but I don’t think that would matter, as the OS handles them separately through the Sound and Bluetooth preferences.

• Posted: 22 May 2013 12:47 AM #8

I assume that you’ve checked out System Preferences > Sound, though no one has mentioned it.

Try doing an SMC (System Management Controller).
    Reset SMC of an iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini:
    * Shut down your Mac
    * Disconnect the power cord
    * Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 5 seconds
    * Release the button
    * Reattach the power cables and boot the Mac as usual

• Posted: 17 June 2013 04:28 PM #9

Also, try plugging and unplugging some headphones repeatedly. Sometimes the Mac’s audio port gets “stuck” or confused about where to pipe out the audio. I’ve seen more than once where repeatedly plugging and unplugging the audio jack fixes this. Good luck!

Signature

Roger
    Apple Certified Tech
    PDXMacRepair.com

Posted: 01 July 2013 06:32 AM #10

if nothing works it is some hardware issue which only a customer care person can resolve

Signature

i am into iPhone apps development programing