Hard drive reliability

Posted: 28 February 2013 10:57 PM

I need a reliable hard drive that can run for years 24/7 reliably. I have, in the last 3 years, gone through 3 Seagate drives which suddenly fail to mount!  Models 7200.11 (2) and LP One was used for a weekly off-site BU and only used for 20 minutes a week. It failed in 1.5 years. 26.75 Hours total run time!! 2 of the bare drives were connected using a Voyager. My point is the reliability of Seagate drives This is not acceptable to me!

At present I need one 2 TB drive for a daily BU. I am using a LaCie for the weekly but it is now pressed into service as my daily! I am really nervous about not having a 2nd BU. Speed is not an issue for BU’s but I like to use FW800.

What would service my needs.  I am not wedded to Seagate!

Cheers: Bob.

Signature

Cheers:
    Bob

Posted: 01 March 2013 01:25 PM #1

Hi Bob—interesting, I’ve had good luck with the Seagate drives I put into my NAS units over the years. Western Digital’s drives have been good for me, too. We’ll see what others have to say, too!

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 01 March 2013 01:50 PM #2

I have good luck with Western Digital.  The green drives are surprisingly resilient, I had a set of four last in a Drobo for almost 5 years (You are not supposed to use green drives in a raid, but Drobo sold it to me with those drives as a package, and it worked!), however I now use WD black (instead of the greens) in the Drobo (yes, I know the Blacks are not technically for a RAID either). There is also a new WD RAID-compliant red drive that people are raving about, I have not tried this model yet, but will the next time I need to replace a set of raid drives at work. 

I also really like the enterprise level Hitachi drives.  They are more affordable than other enterprise-quality drives, and seem rock solid, have yet to have one go bad.  You can get the 2TB enterprise level Hitachi from OWC (macsales.com) for $220, which is a good price for enterprise level drives!  If it is not for a RAID array, I would get the enterprise-level Hitachi.

Posted: 09 March 2013 08:55 PM #3

Western Digital Caviar Green HDDs work fine for me too.

I’ve got 1 in a Topfield PVR and it runs 24/7, got 4 in my Mac Pro and “touch wood” no issues to report.

Of course if you’re looking for a drive that will never fail then good luck there.
    All drives risk the possibility of failure but some manufacturers build better quality drives than others. Seagate is one brand I won’t knowingly go near.

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!

• Posted: 10 March 2013 05:00 AM #4

its so helpful for all.

• Posted: 13 March 2013 01:31 AM #5

WetcoastBob - 28 February 2013 10:57 PM

I need a reliable hard drive that can run for years 24/7 reliably. I have, in the last 3 years, gone through 3 Seagate drives which suddenly fail to mount!  Models 7200.11 (2) and LP One was used for a weekly off-site BU and only used for 20 minutes a week. It failed in 1.5 years. 26.75 Hours total run time!! 2 of the bare drives were connected using a Voyager. My point is the reliability of Seagate drives This is not acceptable to me!

At present I need one 2 TB drive for a daily BU. I am using a LaCie for the weekly but it is now pressed into service as my daily! I am really nervous about not having a 2nd BU. Speed is not an issue for BU’s but I like to use FW800.

What would service my needs.  I am not wedded to Seagate!

Cheers: Bob.

seagate is reliable and I am using it last two years.though my usage is not like yours.24/7 hd usage may be the reason for the drive damage.

Posted: 22 March 2013 05:15 PM #6

We discussed this (tangentially, anyway) in MGG 441 this week, and I figured I should mention here that I’ve had 4 Seagate “Green” drives “fail” recently (one 2TB, three 3TB). Now, their “failure” didn’t result in any data loss. They just started going off-line for 20 seconds and then coming back during periods of heavy use. For the ones in my Drobo, it was enough for the Drobo to say, “nope, I’m not using this anymore.” My Synology unit is a little more forgiving in that it leaves that decision up to the end-user, which is a good thing, because that one had 3 drives in it. They’re all nearing their 24-month warranty expiration, but I had no trouble getting replacements from Seagate.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.