Cable over Ethernet? CoE

Posted: 11 March 2013 09:59 AM

I’m considering boosting the speed and reach of my home network.  Currently I have two Apple AirPort devices —one connected to the Comcast Cable gateway and the other as the other connected in WDS mode.  The signal strength is decent but does fall off sharply on the second floor.  Most of the devices in the house—iMac, MacBook, two iPad, one iPad mini, three iPhones—are connected to Wi-Fi.  Other devices—TiVo, Apple TV, Blu-ray player ( for firmware updates )—are connected via a switch connected to the main AirPort.

I’ve noticed that whenever my son is pounding his way through Minecraft the wi-fi network slows down considerably.  The wired Ethernet connected devices aren’t affected. The Comcast connection is quite robust.

I would like to run more wired connections but don’t have the time or finances for tearing through drywall.  I’ve tried several Ethernet over power devices but they all fail to work consistently.

I’ve also read about cable over Ethernet (CoE) networking gear but can’t seem to find more information or reviews about brands and products.  Given that every room in the house—except for the kitchen and bathrooms—has a cable connection I think this might be the most disruptive way to go.

How do I get started putting together a system for CoE?

Posted: 09 June 2013 08:21 AM #1

Due to a lack of a response, may I assume that CoE is of little interest to MO forum participants or ... there are very few MO forum participants.

Posted: 09 June 2013 11:15 AM #2

Wouldn’t this be ethernet over cable?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 09 June 2013 11:27 AM #3

If you are really talking about ethernet over cable, there are a couple of providers. Actiontec seems to be the one most available. They max out at 270Mbps, so they are slower than 802.11N.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500C/dp/B008C1JC4O/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 08 January 2014 09:46 AM #4

Intruder - 09 June 2013 11:27 AM

If you are really talking about ethernet over cable, there are a couple of providers. Actiontec seems to be the one most available. They max out at 270Mbps, so they are slower than 802.11N.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500C/dp/B008C1JC4O/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Yes. MoCA is exactly what I was referring to.  Sorry for not using the correct nomenclature.  It might be slower than 802.11n but ... it can get to parts of my house where the wireless signal drops off rapidly