Music File Organization Workflow

• Posted: 06 April 2013 12:38 PM

I’m in a major project trying to manage the massive amount of music that I store in iTunes, and finding it quite daunting.  The first thing I’m trying to do is organize the files by file type and move them into folders that categorize them by extension, aiff, mp3, flac.  Right now they are housed in one master folder on an external just called “music”.  I can’t have iTunes manage the files for me because it would wreak havoc on my lossless files, especially FLAC.  Does anyone know of a workaround to search and batch move files by extension type, keeping the files in the folders they are in (e.g. Artist or Album Name) but moving them into a new master folder?  I’m trying to avoid having to do that by hand as I have more than 75,000 files on my drive.  I wish someone had good documentation on varying user scenarios and best practices for keeping music well organized and backed up.  Any help greatly appreciated for a workaround to the situation I’ve described.

Posted: 08 April 2013 04:11 PM #1

Give Hazel a try for this type of thing. You can set up all kinds of rules and it may just be what you’re looking for.

...and let us know how it goes, eh?

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 21 June 2013 10:17 AM #2

I’m a bit late to this thread, but if you are still looking for a solution, check out Big Mean Folder Machine. This utility lets you move files around and organize in folders or combine multiple folders into one. It can read file information and metadata (tags) so you can use that to organize. It’s great for the batch type of work that it sounds like you are trying to do. If you want a way to keep it organized as you add music, I agree with Dave that Hazel is the right choice.

- Leon

• Posted: 23 June 2013 10:08 PM #3

I agree that Hazel is a good choice. Automator might also be of some use in your case.

Signature

Roger
    Apple Certified Tech
    PDXMacRepair.com