Advice on RAM Upgrade

• Posted: 28 April 2013 10:14 AM

Hello all,

I have a late 2010 iMac that has become noticeably sluggish since upgrading to Mountain Lion. (Really, it started with the upgrade to Lion, but it’s gotten considerably worse since then).  I considered selling my computer and upgrading to a brand new iMac, but my needs don’t presently require that, and I’d rather wait for the new product launches and upgrades coming late this year and in 2014. 

So, I’m looking for some advice on a RAM upgrade to my current machine.  Are there any particular brands you folks recommend? Also, any pointers to useful how-to videos for my particular model would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Xwintelslave

• Posted: 20 May 2013 10:25 PM #1

Xwintelslave - 28 April 2013 10:14 AM

Hello all,

I have a late 2010 iMac that has become noticeably sluggish since upgrading to Mountain Lion. (Really, it started with the upgrade to Lion, but it’s gotten considerably worse since then).  I considered selling my computer and upgrading to a brand new iMac, but my needs don’t presently require that, and I’d rather wait for the new product launches and upgrades coming late this year and in 2014. 

So, I’m looking for some advice on a RAM upgrade to my current machine.  Are there any particular brands you folks recommend? Also, any pointers to useful how-to videos for my particular model would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Xwintelslave

Try OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/) for that.  I have used them for upgrading both my iMac and my Macbook Pro.  They have great service, and their website guides you to the correct parts based on Mac model and year.  In addition, they have installation videos for all the different machines that they support.

I live in Canada, and have been consistently impressed with their responsiveness and level of service.

• Posted: 22 May 2013 12:42 AM #2

I find Crucial.com the place to go. As a Mac consultant, I’ve ordered hundreds of RAM chips from them with nary a problem. Their RAM is fast and equivalent to OEM.

Their System Scanner is fabulous. You download it and it tells you which model of Mac you have, What the Maximum RAM that you Mac can take and what’s in it now. On the newer iMacs with 4 RAM slots, it shows what’s in each slot. Then it offers you the options that they have available for your Mac. This makes it totally easy to order and get the proper chip for your Mac.