blank display when nothing is connected to display port

• Posted: 09 May 2013 05:47 PM

I have a mac mini (Mac mini 3,1) that runs os x mountain lion server that I used to run without a display.  I connected remotely and all was well.  Occasionally, I would connect my old cinema display, mouse and keyboard but most of the time there was no monitor attached. I then purchased a 15” vga lcd for ease of hookup to use for those rare times when I needed a display.  I used a vga to mini display port connector.  When I moved, I temporarily attached a 24” led display using a dvi to display port connector.  Here’s where it gets weird.  If I disconnect the 24” led display, I cannot get the screen to display on the 15” display.  Further, I get a blank screen when connecting remotely.

It has been a while since I tried to resolve this but I believe I reset the PRAM and didn’t have any luck.  Is there a way to reset the display preferences so that it completely forgets about the displays that had been attached?

Signature

Kevin

Posted: 10 May 2013 10:16 AM #1

Interesting, Kevin – usually your Mac is smart enough to know that each display is different, but the display adapter you used must have it confused into thinking both are the same.

You could also try resetting the SMC, as that has some of those types of settings, too.

Another trick would be to remote desktop (or screen share) into it and change from there. Seems counter-intuitive to use screen sharing to access a Mac with a monitor attached in this scenario, but it should work—and should let you reset things.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.