Mail, Address Book, and Spotlight

Posted: 09 July 2013 06:04 PM

In my experience, Spotlight rarely finds what I am looking for.  I also don’t like the idea of using what I consider a somewhat significant amount of storage space for a metadata index.  So long ago, I turned Spotlight off, and started using EasyFind, which I am perfectly happy with.

I recently tried using Mail, rather than a Web interface.  I can’t auto-complete any email addresses, or use any nicknames.  Am I correct in assuming this is because Spotlight is off?

The strange thing is, when I create a Group in Address Book, Mail is able to recognize the Group when I type it into the To: field (but I have to type the entire name - again, no auto-complete).  However, when I try to Expand the Group, the Group disappears instead.  Any idea what’s going on here?

Most importantly, if I want to restore functionality to Mail, which folder(s) do I need to allow Spotlight to access?  ~/Library/Mail, and ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Metadata?  Any others?  Do I need the former if I don’t care about Mail’s search function?

That’s going to be a long list of folders for Spotlight not to search.