Was Apple Ebook Pricing a Conspiracy?

Poll: Was Apple Ebook Pricing a Conspiracy?
Total Votes: 22
Yes, and Judge Cote ruled appropriately
Yes, but it was necessary to break Amazon’s monopoly
No, Apple was just negotiating for fair ebook prices

Posted: 12 July 2013 09:45 AM

Judge Denise Cote ruled earlier this week that Apple was the ringleader in a conspiracy with publishers to artificially raise the price of ebooks. What do you think?

Posted: 12 July 2013 12:42 PM #1

I wonder how Amazon managed to avoid investigation into it’s pricing practices…

Signature

Smile they said, it could be worse. So we did, and it was!

• Posted: 12 July 2013 01:11 PM #2

furbies - 12 July 2013 12:42 PM

I wonder how Amazon managed to avoid investigation into it’s pricing practices…

Agreed.  I don’t usually buy into political conspiracy theories but I’m very curious now about Amazon’s political donations. 

Maybe it’s time for Apple to countersue the DoJ for acting on behalf of a company instead of the consumers it’s supposed to be protecting?

• Posted: 12 July 2013 08:30 PM #3

I wonder about that. How well could a case be made showing monopoly abuse by Amazon? Granted, they’re one step away from essentially owning the US book retail business, but plenty of arguments can be made that Amazon’s competitors simply didn’t adjust to Internet life as fast/well as they did.

Apple Conspiracy was a much less fuzzy case—Apple enters market, prices go up. Not much simpler for the DoJ, no matter how shortsighted it is.