Trick for having Mac return to login screen after logging in?

Posted: 08 August 2013 09:09 AM

Actually, it’s not that I want to know how to do it so much as I want to know how to undo it.

A few years ago I heard about how to do it on the show, and I went to the show notes for the episode and followed all the instructions to make my Mac return to the login screen just after logging in, so that I could turn it on, walk away from it, and come back to the login screen but with my main user account already loaded up.

I remember that it had something to do with creating an Applescript file and then having it run at startup, but I can’t find that file anywhere on my Mac.

And for all this time it’s been working fine, but now, for some reason, on both my MBP and my mini (both running 10.8.4), when I go to log in, I go right to a black screen with just the cursor, and all I can do is activate the screensaver by going to a hot corner. Then the screensaver just comes on and I can’t get out of that, so I have to put the computer to sleep and wake it back up to get back to normal.

I’m guessing that the Mac OS has advanced to the point where this trick doesn’t work right all the time, which is why the problem started occurring on both computers.

The problem seems to happen most reliably after a cold boot. If I just hit “Restart,” the Mac usually behaves pretty well.

At any rate, does anyone remember this trick and where it’s located, or which episode it was in?

Posted: 13 August 2013 10:26 AM #1

Jim – off the top of my head I think this was a login items thing… Check in your account settings at System Preferences > Accounts > User > Login Items to see if it’s there.

If not, then you may need to dig into what’s in launchd with a program like Lingon.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

Posted: 15 August 2013 08:39 AM #2

Hey, I think I found the episode!

I knew it had to be a couple years back, so I just went to the end of 2010 and skimmed the shownotes for each episode going forward until I saw the one I was looking for.

The episode is MGG 325: Helping You Solve Problems and Learn Your Mac, from April 11, 2011.

The entry was “Terminally Geeky: use automatic login more securely.”

Now I just have to figure out how to undo what I did way back then.

Thanks, everyone!

Posted: 15 August 2013 09:04 AM #3

Jim – I think Lingon is going to be your best bet. They talk in the referenced article about launchd, and that’s what Lingon edits. Launch it and look carefully… you’ll find the entry to remove. The force is with you!

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.