What about OS X Mountain Lion drives you crazy?

Posted: 08 August 2013 01:15 PM

OS X Mountain Lion may be a great operating system, but it still has a few annoyances. One of my pet peeves, for example is that the operating system takes the focus away from whatever window you’re working in whenever it displays an alert dialog, and sometimes that means jumping you to a different screen if you’re using Spaces.

What about Mountain Lion annoys you?

[ Edited: 14 March 2014 09:13 AM by Intruder ]      

Posted: 08 August 2013 01:26 PM #1

Those frickin Software Update banners that I swear I have to swipe away every 10 minutes.

Also, sometimes all-day calendar notifications are aggressive in popping up multiple times a day (haven’t figured out why yet).

• Posted: 08 August 2013 02:38 PM #2

Stephen Swift - 08 August 2013 01:26 PM

Also, sometimes all-day calendar notifications are aggressive in popping up multiple times a day (haven’t figured out why yet).

That is the most frustrating thing—the popping up of the same reminder, multiple times a day.

• Posted: 08 August 2013 04:26 PM #3

Save As is a two step process, when it should only be one step. I really hope the new OS gives us back a Save As choice.

Signature

Computing with Bifocalsfor those who remember life before there was color.

• Posted: 08 August 2013 04:54 PM #4

Saves As…. needs to come back, it’s so frustrating writing AppleScripts that are autosaved or that I have to do the two step…. (there also the joy of saving when the file is in a protected directory)

Snooze in Notifications, there should be more snooze options. I really don’t want to see something every 5 minutes (I think)

Simplifying is great but give Power Users their toys (or options)

• Posted: 08 August 2013 05:10 PM #5

The fact that they threw out their best OS to date, Snow Leopard, to force Mac iOS X is the part that drives me crazy. Maybe Mavericks will be better….... or Ubuntu.

Signature

3 iMac’s
    15” MacBook Pro
    4 iPods
    3 iPhone 4Ss
    1 iPhone 5
    2 - 64GB WiFi only iPad2s
    it’s a Mac House

Posted: 08 August 2013 05:15 PM #6

I second the motion to bring Save As back.

Sorting in the prepackaged folders such as Movies and Pictures, is a bit of pain.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 08 August 2013 07:02 PM #7

Folks, if I’m not mistaken, the ‘save as’ option is there, if you depress the option key while accessing the File Menu. The option definitely exists in OS X 10.9 dev-preview, and and I’m pretty sure it was added in Mountain Lion.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 08 August 2013 07:10 PM #8

Yes, but I want the Save As to be in the menu, not via a modifier key.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 08 August 2013 07:18 PM #9

The option was added back to the file menu, even if it requires the press of a single, additional key. That is better, though, than it was in OS X Lion, in which it was not present, at all.

Signature

Posted: 08 August 2013 07:20 PM #10

True that MOSiX, it could certainly be worse.

Signature

Posted: 08 August 2013 07:25 PM #11

I would like to see Pause Printer require an Administrator’s password.

“Honey! The printer won’t work.”

Signature

Posted: 08 August 2013 07:30 PM #12

What drives me crazy (and thankfully, they seem to have fixed this in Mavericks) is that you can’t drag an application window from one monitor to another, while in Mission Control. You have to exit Mission Control, drag the full-sized app window from one monitor to another, then go back into Mission Control if you want to move it to a different space.  X [

Signature

• Posted: 08 August 2013 08:29 PM #13

Nothing about OS X Mountain Lion drives me crazy, because I’m still happily using Snow Leopard. Now if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to use ML, my answer would be “Everything that Apple changed since Snow Leopard.”

Posted: 08 August 2013 08:55 PM #14

bring Save As back, the option button works but it is not fun

Mac Mail…we need to be able to change the mailbox icons or color them or something

Posted: 08 August 2013 11:25 PM #15

Lee Dronick - 08 August 2013 07:10 PM

Yes, but I want the Save As to be in the menu, not via a modifier key.

Mine is always there without any Option key. I’m pretty sure I put it back using Snow Leopard Tweaks (but it could have been Onyx), and it just stuck even through all the upgrades.

Just download them both and try them out. They both do other cool things, and they’re free.

Signature

“A body in motion at a constant velocity will remain in motion until pushed out of bounds by the Strong Safety.”    ~  Issac Newton’s First Law of Physics