Bittorrent Sync Initial Impressions

• Posted: 08 August 2013 07:05 PM

I know it was mentioned on the show back in May, but since then it’s “escaped” alpha and now is in beta so I’ve started using Bittorrent Sync to see how it manages as a “private cloud” backup solution.

So far, for my specific issues (providing access to a duplicate of my small server on the road) it’s been working very well, giving me access (on an encrypted volume) to the data held on a server, pushing changes back to the server and providing offsite backup.  The system defaults to a versioning system of sorts and retains copies of deleted files for 30 days by default.

The overall data on the server is about 120 Gb of data, with daily changes somewhere in the 50-80 Mb range by myself and others.  It’s managing tracking probably about 20,000 files in there without causing speed or performance issues on the Macs I’m using (one Core 2 Duo MacMini, and then two MacBook Airs, one a 4GB i5 and the other an 8GB i7).  The Airs are making use of external drives to hold the data.

It’s worked across both OSX and Windows for this purpose, though Windows from time to time gets upset at characters in filenames under OSX that Windows doesn’t recognize—but generally that’s seemed only to result in the file not being copied to the Windows device with the Bittorrent Sync activity window pointing out the issue (quick renames solve the problem).

Clearly this isn’t something for someone not comfortable with doing some tinkering, but it’s also not terribly hard to setup.  It is kind of nice to have a solution where I have control of all of the “cloud” part of the system.

Posted: 13 August 2013 10:23 AM #1

Wow, glad to hear how well it’s working for you, EdZ. AWESOME private cloud alternative.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.