What would you like to see in iOS7

Posted: 21 August 2013 11:54 AM

OK there’s been a lot of moil and rumble about the upcoming iOS7. Lots of worry about the icons and skuimorphism, and such. I have a different question. What would you like to see to improve iOS? Not big things. I’m talking about little changes. Little changes that would make iOS easier and more pleasant to use.

For example the ability to load custom keyboards. Why? Try typing a note telling someone to meet at ~3:00. You type the core of the message then click on the symbol button, then hit it again to get to ~, then hit it again to type 3:00, then go back to the text keyboard to finish the message. I run into this a lot. I use < and > a lot and it’s a pain. For that matter I’d like to see the numbers as an optional additional row on the letter keyboard. Sometimes I’m using them a lot (I’m at 123 Main St. until 3:00 at 123-4567, then from ~4:00> I’m at 678 Central Ave. at 567-2345) and having an assortment of keyboard layouts might make things a lot easier.

What else? How about being able to turn off snap to grid on the screens. I’d like to be able to arrange my icons the way I want. Even if snap to grid remains, how about just making auto arrange optional? Sometimes I’d like a row with just three icons on it and the next one below full. Sometimes I might want icons lined up down the right and left side of the screen and the middle empty.

It appears that the search screen in iOS7 has been hidden. That’s good. Those that use it have continual access from any screen. Those that don’t aren’t tripping over it all the time. How about the ability to completely hide built in apps that I don’t need as well? For example I don’t ever use Videos, Voice Memos, or Game Center. I have them in a folder along with a few other stock apps that I never use which is fine. But BlackBerry has had the ability to hide apps I didn’t want to see for something like a decade. Android has had the ability to show what Apps you want to see and what ones you don’t for a while now. Why does iOS require that we use something as klugy as a Retired Apps folder?

These are just three for starters. What other little tweaks would you like to see in iOS7?

Signature

Courage is not the absence of fear, that’s insanity.
    Courage is knowing the risks and dangers.
    And doing what needs to be done anyway.

Posted: 27 August 2013 01:26 PM #1

+

The equivalent of Dashboard for the Home and Lock screens. This is especially true on the iPad, where the icons look way too small for the screen and all that screen real estate is just wasted. I’d love to have a weather app w/ live radar, reminders, notifications, and other tidbits of info always available on one screen.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 28 August 2013 03:39 PM #2

+

After just composing an email, I know know the feature I was most in iOS 7: cursor keys. Trying to position the cursor with my finger to correct a misspelling or make an edit is impossible. I’m lucky to get within three or four letters of where I want to be, and that’s in a 9.7 iPad, let aline my iPhone 4S. So I have to backspace over perfectly good letters to reach the offenders, correct them, then retype the letters that didn’t need edited in the first place.

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 29 August 2013 01:28 PM #3

If I don’t limit myself with realism, I would like to see something similar to the intents/system share sheet from Android. Apps can register themselves as being able to handle certain content (images, plain text, urls, etc) and then users can “share” to those apps throughout the OS. Make it a standard API so that each developer doesn’t have to roll their own share sheet.

Bonus points for implementing this in a way that remains uncluttered (unlike Android’s implementation, which accumulates menu entries over time with no way to manage). I think Apple won’t implement this until they can provide a good user experience around managing it.

Won’t happen in iOS7 though. Maybe iOS 8?