Which device to buy for basic wifi?

• Posted: 21 August 2013 01:30 PM

I have just built an office shed in my garden. The problem is that I can’t get wifi signal from my router back in the house there -I have an ethernet over power line adapter which is working great for my iMac however I still need wifi for my iPad & iPhone.

I have an ethernet port in the shed going into a switch serving the iMac.

Should I buy a wireless access point or a router to connect to the ethernet switch to give out the wifi signal?

I am not looking to get anything fancy -I don’t need uber high speeds. I’m on an über-low budget here and would like to get some old thing off of eBay for about $10 if poss - of which it seems there is plenty.

I would appreciate any tips!

F

Posted: 23 August 2013 10:43 AM #1

Felix - if you truly want to do it on the cheap, you could simply use Internet connection sharing on your iMac. It has a Wi-Fi card in it and is very easy to setup. Apple has a Knowledge Base article on it, but it’s really just as simple as opening up System Preferences > Sharing and enabling it in there.

Otherwise, yes, an el-cheapo router (setup in bridge mode as an access point only) would work, but remember that the thing that makes el-cheapo routers cheap is usually their range… so bear that in mind.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 23 August 2013 12:10 PM #2

HI Dave,
    Thanks very much. - I have already tried that - my bad - I should have mentioned it. I am using Logic Pro X and the Remote Control App for it on the iPad and they both need to be on the same wi-fi network so that didn’t work. I’m thinking I’m going to just buy an old router and configure it as a WAP.

Posted: 28 August 2013 08:24 AM #3

Felix Bird - 23 August 2013 12:10 PM

HI Dave,
    I am using Logic Pro X and the Remote Control App for it on the iPad and they both need to be on the same wi-fi network so that didn’t work. I’m thinking I’m going to just buy an old router and configure it as a WAP.

Hmm… they need to be on the same Wi-Fi network, or just the same network? The latter makes sense to me, the former does not (at all). Still, the end result is the same: when you do Internet Sharing on your Mac it creates a new network (in that things are actually routed through your Mac with a different IP block, and your Mac is not just in “bridge” mode).

But yes, you’ll need extra hardware to keep everything on the same network (strange as that sounds!). Just make sure you put the new/cheap router in Bridge mode.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 28 August 2013 11:58 AM #4

Hey Dave,
    I just bought a router (just for $25) and I got it set up and working as an access point. It’s seems to be working fine at the moment. I did try setting up sharing internet connection. It worked but it did require being on the same wi-fi network. - I too expected it to work. either way I now have more wi-fi signal in my studio!
    Thanks so much.
    This article here I found very useful in guiding me in setting up the router as an access point:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

Best regards
    Felix