IOS7 distinction between 4G and LTE

• Posted: 20 September 2013 12:01 AM

My iPhone 5 IOS6 distinguished between 4G and LTE with a switch to turn on LTE (in japan, my plan had 5 gigs of LTE data before a surcharge was added or downloads slowed).

IOS7 does not make that distinction. The Cellular Data switch in the settings now only has 4G. According to the local cell phone sales person, Apple has combined the two? 4G and LTE are equivalent?

Since IOS7 isn’t region specific, I don’t think this change is specific to my location. And since an LTE enabled iPhone was a sales point a year ago when the iPhone 5 was new, and LTE is much faster than 4G, I’m wondering if this explanation is credible?

Posted: 02 October 2013 10:10 AM #1

Very interesting. We have “Enable LTE” switches on our iPhone 5 devices running iOS 7 in Settings > Cellular. Maybe a reboot or a restore of the firmware is warranted here?

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.

• Posted: 02 October 2013 08:46 PM #2

Dave,

Thanks for the reply and kudos for the MGG podcasts. I tried the reboot, etc. but there was no change. With a few more days of IOS7 use among friends and colleagues, including 5S upgrades, they are experiencing the same 4G only option. A Japanese colleague who can read SoftBank’s original links offered the following:

“Yes, that was the first thing I noticed that Apple is personalizing base software to carriers now. The definition is that LTE is one of the 4G standards, so my guess is that SoftBank’s 4G LTE strategy is to appeal both SoftBank’s 4G LTE (2.1GHz) and E-Mobile’s LTE (1.7GHz) network, against other carrier’s [AU and Docomo] Platinum LTE networks and wanted to brand it differently and give a faster impression.”

Japan’s somewhat frenzied IT arena emphasizes constant though minimal upgrades to create the impression of product differentiation in a crowded market. It’ll be interesting to watch how 4G-LTE evolves in the U.S. market.