What’s Your Crazy Genius Bar Story?

Posted: 03 December 2013 11:18 AM

When I was in my local Apple Store yesterday I overheard a Genius helping someone with their MacBook’s swollen battery. The man was concerned about possible safety risks—and rightly so. The Genius dismissed his concerns saying MacBook batteries are designed to swell so you know when it’s time to replace them. No kidding.

That’s my crazy Genius Bar story. What’s yours?

• Posted: 03 December 2013 06:01 PM #1

How funny (not in a good way) - I had a Genius tell me the same thing a few months ago, when I brought in my wife’s swollen MacBook battery, which had gotten so bad that she couldn’t use her trackpad. The Genius said the swelling was normal and didn’t want to hear otherwise. I was hoping I could at least get a discount on a new battery, but no such luck.

Meanwhile, the battery in my MacBook swelled to the point that the system refused to recognize it anymore, saying it was unsafe to keep it in the laptop. And it wasn’t nearly as swollen as my wife’s battery.

I’ve gone through a few MacBook batteries because of this, and I can’t imagine I’m alone in that. I’m surprised no one has tried a class action lawsuit over it.