Looking for a Hazel-like app

• Posted: 22 May 2014 11:20 AM

Hi one and all,
    I am looking for an app which does what Hazel does - Move or copy files from one folder to another.

I compose and produce music for film and TV using Logic Pro X and when I finish producing a piece of music, I save a finished stereo track in a folder within the project folder. I would like to by default have every one of these copied to another folder on another drive just so I can always have a tally of the all the music I have written there. I normally put a code at the front or end of the file too which might help.

In short I want to say “Hey any files created in XXX project folder which have the code FBM_ at the front, copy to XXX folder on this other drive”

This WOULD work with Hazel, but Hazel seems to only ‘see’ files nested one folder below the folderI assign Hazel to monitor.

I don’t think I can get Hazel to do this, but if it can, please let me know!

Thx

Felix

• Posted: 23 May 2014 09:34 AM #1

I just got this reply back from somebody at Noodlesoft who make Hazel:

Hi Felix,

You can have Hazel go into subfolders as described here: http://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=470

Note, though, that this can be very resource-intensive and I wouldn’t recommend it for a whole drive. You might want to use something else like Smart Folders if that is the case.

Regards,

Paul Kim

I think I am actually going to make a keyboard maestro macro that will do a finder search for me each week and send me an email showing the results.

Posted: 29 May 2014 10:55 AM #2

Thanks for the follow-up, Felix. Good stuff. Yeah, KM is probably best… or something else scriptable so it’s not running all the time.

Signature

-Dave Hamilton / The Mac Observer / Mac Geek Gab / Dave on Twitter
    When you find a big kettle of crazy, it’s best not to stir it.