My experience at the Tysons Corner store

• Posted: 24 August 2001 03:46 PM

I thought everyone might be interested in my trip to the Tysons Corner Apple store. Maybe we can turn this into a post about first impressions of the different stores as they open around the country (and the world).

First of all, the Tysons Corner Center is bigger than any other mall complex I’ve seen in a long time. I had no idea if I even parked near the store. All I knew is that I wanted a parking spot and I couldn’t afford to be picky. Turns out I picked the exact entrance that Apple recommends. Bloomingdale’s side.

You walk out of bloomingdale’s on the upper level and into the mall proper. And about 2 minutes later, after trying to figure out how Haagen Daaz gets those kinda flavors into a milkshake, you see it. The apple logo, emblazoned on the windows and walls. The store is MUCH SMALLER than I envisioned—about the size of your typical Gap or record store, but much smaller than a Abercrombie and Fitch. But it’s wide open and very easy to navigate. hardwood floors, and a million macs separated into departments like music and movies. The music section has imacs with soundsticks and samples of Toast while the movie section has cameras and digicams. there are no shortage of people hanging around the sections.

The salespeople are supernice. for the most part. I had a question about a Canon scanner, which they do stock, and when the woman said she was still training and was unsure, she said to give her a minute. She returned from the storeroom with the box and allowed me to look at it, read it, whatever until my heart’s content. That was perfect. Exactly what I would have requested had I thought of it, but I didn’t have to. Nice, nice person.

Same for when I couldn’t find the price on a piece of software. I asked someone else and they were happy to turn over the box and read it to me. Oops. Still don’t know how I missed that.

But when I had a question about Toast and the differences and pros and cons between it and toast, and then another question about microphones, the salesperson I got was a little testy. You kinda got the feeling that he thought he was talking to a person who never touched a Mac and he didn’t like the differences in “level” between him and myself. Meaning he thought I was dumb. However, I play dumb in a place like that. Allows me to experience it all to the fullest. Allows me to know how much they know, because if I dominate the conversation, I feel like it was a waste of time to ask. Of course keep in mind, I really didn’t know the answer to the question, so it was a happy medium, if you will.

I could have done without him. Just like I could have done without the $5.75 milkshake across the hall. But that’s all part of the experience.

Overall, I’d say it was worth my 4.5 hour jaunt onto the D.C. beltway. Would I do it again? No. Would I travel an hour to an Apple store? Sure. 2 hours? Maybe. 3? No. It’s a great store and a great idea. And I’m happy I saw it and experienced it all. I think the concept is awesome and I think it’s going to do really, really well for the company and the customer alike.

P.S. Genius bar was way too crowded to get there, but I listened and it sounded like tech support face to face. exactly what it’s billed as, I believe. Pretty spiffy.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)

• Posted: 24 August 2001 12:15 PM #1

Sounds like you had a good trip.  Thanks for the impressions.

What did you buy?

Brad

Signature

Brad Smith
    The Mac Observer

• Posted: 24 August 2001 03:46 PM #2

Ahhh, Brad, a good question. Just a game. Alice. I never owned a game and thought it would be cool to see how this one ran. 3-D graphics are cool, however, it’s a little buggy and hard to grasp at the moment. I was going to buy photoshop elements, but I wanted to wait to see when the X version was coming out.

Signature

Scott
    Pittsburgh, PA
    God bless our troops in Iraq and everywhere.

GO STEELERS. GO PIRATES. and GO PENGUINS (ummm, well ...)