Perception vs. Reality, FUD and the Apple connection

• Posted: 18 June 2001 03:27 PM

By now, most all of us have come to realize the mastery in which Microsoft used Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) to help Apple into its current niche. They proved that perception can easily become reality.
    Perception:Windows is the most popular OS.
    Reality:Windows BECOMES the most popular OS.
    That’s fine. What’s past is past.
    The question I raise is: What is Apple doing to combat FUD?
    The way I see it, there are 2 ways to fight. (1)Use other’s FUD to your advantage and (2) demonstrate the reality of the situation.

#1 OSX uses the perception that UNIX is better/more stable than NT, therefore in people’s minds, OSX becomes better & more stable than NT. Instant street cred.
    #2 Opening Apple Stores opens the opportunity to SHOW how good Apple products are. People can then draw their own conclusions.

What other examples can you point out in Apple’s war against FUD?

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 01:38 PM #1

One guy’s opinion. 

Apple has the share of the market that they want or they would do something to change it.  I know nothing at all about Microsoft or Windows computers, but, really, be real.  Apple’s attitude toward their consumers is likely to someday have me finding out and that day will come when the time rolls around to lay out a G plus for a new computer.  Apple attitude is reminissant of AOL’s domineering!!.  Their computers speak for themselves…..GREAT PRODUCTS.  Their management/people relationship is not.  Whether anyone on thes forum likes it or not Microsoft is here to stay.  Apple is too for that matter.  When they want more, they will offer what it takes to get it.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 02:38 PM #2

I respectfully disagree. Apple absolutely does not have the marketshare that they want. Why else would they radically change the OS? Why would they take a chance on Apple Stores? Certainly not because they were happy with the status quo!
    True, they haven’t publicly decried a desire for market dominance, but they still aren’t in an appropriate position to announce such an enormous undertaking.

Now, I believe the question was about combating FUD…

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 03:03 PM #3

Hmm, what IS Apple doing to combat FUD?  That is a good question, and I think at this point they are taking the high road and ignoring most of it.  The biggest piece of FUD I have heard came from Dell computer with the education market.  The company, gee, has a straw to hold on to.  Someone said they are #1 in education.  And they continuously trash talk Apple.  Does Apple trash talk back?  Not directly.  What do they do?  They launch an all out assault via the new iBook, selling thousands upon thousands to school districts.  IMO the iBook is the best Apple computer ever released in terms of price/performance.  No one can beat it right now.  And that is something new.  Apple is known for being overpriced, yet right now they have the best computer deal anywhere

What Apple needs to do is change their reputation.  WE all know they make great products, but the industry has their long held perceptions (Apple is dying, etc.)  As for selling the product, I’m not a big fan of Apple’s recent ad campaign, although I don’t believe they should go back to their 30 minute infomercials like some people are suggesting.  One of my favorite commercials is for the Mitsubishi Eclipse, and all the commercial is is a bunch of young people dancing in their car seats and having fun.  That should be one of their focuses.  They can’t win with tech specs right now.  They need to show how fun and easy the Mac is to use.  Especially, they need to show how easy OS X is.

One other thing is that we, as Mac users, should not go vigilante to combat FUD.  Just be calm, rational, make your argument.  Don’t try to shove the platform down someone else’s throat.  Don’t look down your nose at other people’s OS choice, you will never get them to change if they don’t want to.  Just keep up the same old arguments that we always have, calmly renig misconceptions.  Etc. etc. etc. 

If Apple doesn’t fight FUD, then we have to.  We just have to remember to do it calmly.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

Posted: 18 June 2001 03:27 PM #4

There is one thing I think Apple should do, warning -  this is getting close to becoming my mantra for the next few months, and that is release a real Total Cost of Ownership report for education, business, and the home.

I think this is a tool that many people working to get Macs in their computing environment need.  I also think it would make a great weapon with which to fight FUD.

That said, Retro, you made some good points. 

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.