Newton 130

Posted: 08 July 2001 10:49 AM

I’m in the market for a PDA.  I don’t need anything fancy.  Just something to jot notes down on.  A friend of mine wants $50 for his Newton 130.  This includes the case and a keyboard for the Newton.  I know the operating systems on the 130 is usable, but it’s a Newton not a Palm.  Is this a good deal?  What else should I know before buying?  Thanks.

• Posted: 18 June 2001 10:11 PM #1

You can pick up a Handspring Visor for $150 brand new.
    I seem to like mine. The expansion slot was the clincher for me. You can even get an adapter to use smartmedia memory cards in it!
    It might be a little much for just taking notes but you may find that you have other uses for it, like using filemaker mobile. Cool app!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Photodan on 2001-06-19 01:13 ]</font>

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 19 June 2001 12:06 AM #2

I like my Palm Vx, but there is something about the cool factor of a Newton.  I would probably trade in my Palm for a Newton 2100 if I could.

That said, if you want to take notes keep an address book, the Newton 130 would probably be just as useful as a Palm, only bigger.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

Posted: 19 June 2001 12:07 PM #3

I think I’ll go with the Newton.  There’s just something about saying… I have a Newton.  Especially, if your into owning old Apple stuff (Anyone have a Lisa for sale? )  I realize it’s going to be bigger, and maybe there are better Newtons, but for a PDA newbie, I’ll go with this and upgrade later.

• Posted: 25 June 2001 11:11 PM #4

I have a Handspring Visor and love it. 

Photodan: You said the expansion slot was the “clincher” for you… which cards if any do you have, and what do you think of them?

Burnum: Though I doubt you’ll ever be able to sync the Newton with Mac OS X native software , a Netwon will be very cool, and $50 seems reasonable.  Hope you enjoy it!

Moof!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: David Nelson on 2001-06-26 02:12 ]</font>

• Posted: 26 June 2001 08:33 AM #5

I haven’t bought any cards yet but If I can find a killer app, I’m sure I’ll need more memory. To be quite honest, the prices on lots of the cards are a bit higher than I thought they’d be. Especially after this length of time.
    It seems a little nuts to charge $70 for an 8MB card when I just bought a 512MB DIMM for $130!

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 06 July 2001 05:44 PM #6

Since 1994ish, between my husband and I we have owned:

Newton 110 (his)
    Newton 120 (two of them, his n hers)
    Newton 2000 (upgraded to Newton 2100, his)
    Visor Deluxe (his n hers, his died, I sold mine)
    Visor Prism (his n hers, currently using)

My husband was the founder of NYCNUG (New York City Newton Users Group, now NYCDAUG   he’s no longer involved). So you can see that Apple-happy PDAs have always held a special place in our hearts.

We recently sold off all the Newtons on eBay. We got about $20 for the 110, $20 for one 120, and $30 for the other. Believe it or not, the 2100 went for $260 which blew me away (included keyboard, case and rechargeable battery back but STILL!). So there is still a market for Newton, but I think $50 is a bit excessive for a Newton 130. Personally, I adore my Visor Prism.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: JudiS217 on 2001-07-06 20:45 ]</font>

Posted: 08 July 2001 10:49 AM #7

I found a price chart at http://www.thisoldnewt.com and it gave price listings.  I also did some eBay looking, and he was selling his for an average price (according to everything I had seen).  On the site it said a Newton 130 can go from anywhere to 20-80 dollars.  He also threw in a keyboard (20 dollars - thisoldnewt), (leather case and keyboard case - 30 dollars), and a manual.  I got the Newton and its in excellent shape (and I’m addicted to PDAs now).  So I think it was a bargain.  I wouldn’t mind paying for 50 dollars for what I got - and that’s what counts, getting the buyer to think they have a good deal.