No more Classic iMac

Posted: 18 March 2003 06:47 AM

It looks as if Apple finally got rid of the old Classic design. They are no longer for sale at the Apple Store. :(

Kind of sad, a piece of history is gone…

Signature

Remember what Obi-Wan said to Luke: “Oops! There goes your shirt!”

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 18 March 2003 09:27 AM #1

Only MOSTLY Dead!

Spider—

Not quite! As Miracle Max would say, it’s only MOSTLY dead!

Check the Education store; still available for $749…for now.

We all knew this day was coming, although I hope they keep it at least on the educational market at a bargain-basement price…say,  $499 for schools.

I’m also hoping this means that they’ll drop the eMac (a CD-RW-only version, perhaps?) into the $799 space.

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 18 March 2003 03:01 PM #2

GOOD!  it’s about time!  it was starting to become an embarssement to the lineup

now, just lower the eMac down to 899 and they’ll be all set…

Signature

Apple Computer: Proudly going out of business since 1984!

Posted: 18 March 2003 07:42 PM #3

Re: Only MOSTLY Dead!

‘tis a sad say, a piece of history has been mostly retired.  :cry:

[quote author=“BlueDjinn”]although I hope they keep it at least on the educational market at a bargain-basement price…say,  $499 for schools.

Amen! I’ve been wishing for Apple to make it available at $499 for a long time, though at that price it might become a loss-leader. It would get several would-be switchers on low incomes (eMachines competition), I think.

Signature

-Louie

• Posted: 18 March 2003 08:12 PM #4

It’s hard to belive that such a beautiful and user-friendly designed computer model is finally being retired. After many generations on the CRT iMac, its made its last appearance.  :(

It is now my personal mission to get the last model of the CRT iMac.  Hopefully the prices fall in the education division, since I’m able to apply for an educator.

:bugeyed: The style and finesse of the iMac that conviced me to buy a Mac has now left the building. ...If it wasn’t for the colored iMacs, I wouldn’t be posting here right now.

So long, Apple’s lifesaver.  :apple:

Posted: 18 March 2003 10:20 PM #5

Got one of the original, Bondi beauties sitting right here, in front of me. Other than a semi-pokey processor, a woefully outdated GPU, and a rather smallish (stock) HDD, I don’t have any problems with it. rolleyes

It does a great job running 10.2. (Much better than the cruddy eMachine I am stuck with at work runs ANYTHING.) Only lately have I seriously considered supplanting it with a new iMac. Note: I said supplant it, not throw it away. I know a few people whom could make very good use of this computer, as is. And no, it is NOT an embarrassment!  :bugeyed:

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 19 March 2003 10:57 AM #6

G3 iMac was great for its time

but now is yesterday’s technology.

I have a grape Rev. C that I still use almost daily. My wife uses it as well, as her primary computer. It has 288 MB and the stock 6 GB drive, and runs OS 10.2 surprisingly well.

I agree that the low end eMac needs to fall into the G3 iMac’s price level ($799 for CD-RW).

If I had a company with several employees, I’d be tempted to outfit my office with G3 iMacs, they’re inexpensive and perfect for web browsing, Appleworks, e-mail, etc. Of course the eMac is even more so.

Signature

MacBook (2 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM, 60 GB, Superdrive).

iPhone

iBook (800 MHz G3, 640 MB RAM, 30 GB, Combo Drive).

• Posted: 19 March 2003 12:59 PM #7

Re: Only MOSTLY Dead!

[quote author=“L0u13”]‘tis a sad say, a piece of history has been mostly retired.  :cry:

[quote author=“BlueDjinn”]although I hope they keep it at least on the educational market at a bargain-basement price…say,  $499 for schools.

Amen! I’ve been wishing for Apple to make it available at $499 for a long time, though at that price it might become a loss-leader. It would get several would-be switchers on low incomes (eMachines competition), I think.

Apple has big purchase deals with K-12 and other environments. They get much bigger cuts than what you see on the Apple store for Edu. page.

Signature

Why must I be surrounded by frickin’ idiots!?
    The Log Of Thoughts

• Posted: 19 March 2003 01:09 PM #8

Apple seems to have killed it via price/performance.  Once the eMac’s “vertical hold” problem was finally fixed, an iMac @ $800 was embarrassing.  Given a 1 GHz G3 and a <$600 price, the gumdrop iMac could have had several more good years.  [ Grape iMac DV 400 MHz w OSX 10.2.3 ]

Signature

CautionMan

• Posted: 19 March 2003 01:10 PM #9

Yes, But Not Too Sad…

I read about this in a MacMinute news feed. I have to say that I have not thought about the original iMacs in awhile since I have a G4 iMac. I was rather surprised when I read the news.

I have always been a big fan of the colored Macs. I have an iBook G3 Bondi. The color kinda makes the computer more fun to use.

However, I realize that these Macs are nothing compared to the new models. The phasing out of the original iMacs is appropriate.

I do believe, though, that when you take out your lower end chunk of your cpu line you have to compensate. They need to drop prices on iMacs and eMacs. The eMac in particular needs to be at least $100 cheaper to make up for the product’s phasing out.

Let’s not be too sad, though. Like the Smiley Mac of yesteryear(in OS 9 and early versions of OS X), the original iMac G3’s will still be around, just not new. smile

Signature

Bill Gates secretly loves Macs…Shhhh…

• Posted: 19 March 2003 02:21 PM #10

Re: G3 iMac was great for its time

[quote author=“yakirz”]

If I had a company with several employees, I’d be tempted to outfit my office with G3 iMacs, they’re inexpensive and perfect for web browsing, Appleworks, e-mail, etc. Of course the eMac is even more so.

Absolutely.  I have a small company, and although we do CAD drafting on most of the machines, so they need a little more power, we have a rev B bondi iMac running OS X Server for the office, and a grape iMac doing print server duty.  Both run 24-7 with nary a whimper.  rock-solid.

I think it’s time to move on, but I will miss the little colorful space eggs, and regret not buying a Ruby one when i could.  Although we do have a Flower Power at home. :D

Signature

Most PC users deserve Windows.

• Posted: 19 March 2003 02:39 PM #11

IMHO, the entire G3 line is looking long in the tooth and it’s about time it was put out to pasture.

Sad? a little, but time moves on and you can’t stand still.

Signature

Gods don’t kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Posted: 19 March 2003 03:19 PM #12

Well, the iMac might look long in the tooth to a Mac person, but last weekend I went to one of Dave Workman’s Ultimate Electronics stores to pick up a couple of outdoor Bose speakers for the bathroom.

While checking out, I told the salesman that if they really wanted to have ULTIMATE computers, they needed to get some Macs on their computer display.

He asked what I was running and when I mentioned my wife’s G3 iMac 700, he told me to check out a new Sony they had that was configured in a similar all in one package, like the iMac.

What a joke! That thing had as as much style as a Nobel physicist’s keds and plaid pants.

So you see, it’s all relative What is outdated stuff to us is high culture to some folks…

Posted: 19 March 2003 06:13 PM #13

An interesting thought:

Apple quietly kills the iMac Line. Besides the iBooks, this means the G3 is almost gone. Everything else is G4.

So, where is the low end processor?

As far as I can remember, Apple has always had a Consumer class and a Prosumer class. Two different types of chips in their machines.

Now that the G4 is in all but on line-up, are we going to see the G4 get demoted to the Consumer class, and finally get to see the G5?

It would make perfect sense. We have 1GHz G4 iMacs, 800MHz G4 eMacs, 1GHz TiBooks, and 1.42GHz PowerMacs.

Where is the difference? Most all of the machines, except the iBook again, have SuperDrives.

The iBook is the only exception in most every area where it counts.

My prediction: The G4 has been becoming Consumer class for a long time. Apple has slowly phased out the G3. Expect G4 iBooks. Apple already proved they can cram a G4 into a mobile with a 12” Screen. True, there are some heat problems, but Apple always fixes their problems.

IMO: We are on the verge of the G5 people. It is coming…..and it is about damned time!

Signature

Silent Hill Resorts - A forum for the intelligent, mature Silent Hill fan to visit.

• Posted: 19 March 2003 10:15 PM #14

Interesting thought Spider, but do you think Apple would share the same chip with the Powerbook and the iBook? They have always carried different processors and I doubt the G5 (PPC970) will run cool and efficiently enough to be put in a laptop at first.
    I think Apple will keep a G3 in the iBook but push it past 1GHz. At least until the G5 can be made portable.

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 19 March 2003 11:41 PM #15

I think Apple will keep the TiBook at G4 level for a bit, as usual.

When the ProTowers went to G4, the PowerBooks stayed at G3 for a long time. This, in my opinion, was to tweek the G4 chip for portable use. Normal business practice for Apple.

I think the iMac/eMac/TiBook/iBook lines will stay/go G4, while the Towers and the XServer will go G5. About 6-8 months later, I think the TiBook will catch up with a G5 and the rest will stay high end G4s.

While there may seem to be little life left in the G4, I think there is quite a bit left with the 970 coming and so on and so forth. Also, the towers are now at 1.42GHz, while the highest Consumer machine MHz is at 1GHz. Small bumps and other features will drag it out for a while before we see 1.5GHz iMacs. smile

Signature