Holy Cow! Al Gore joins Apple's Board of Directors!

• Posted: 19 March 2003 12:52 PM

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030319/sfw088_1.html

Former Vice President Al Gore Joins Apple’s Board of Directors
    Wednesday March 19, 4:32 pm ET

CUPERTINO, Calif., March 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/—AppleĀ® (Nasdaq: AAPL - News) today announced that Albert Gore Jr., the former Vice President of the United States, has joined the Company’s Board of Directors. Mr. Gore was elected at Apple’s board meeting today.

“Al brings an incredible wealth of knowledge and wisdom to Apple from having helped run the largest organization in the world—the United States government—as a Congressman, Senator and our 45th Vice President.  Al is also an avid Mac user and does his own video editing in Final Cut Pro,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO.  “Al is going to be a terrific Director and we’re excited and honored that he has chosen Apple as his first private sector board to serve on.”

“Steve and his team have done an incredible job in making Apple once again the very best in the world,” said former Vice President Al Gore.  “I have been particularly impressed with the new Mac OS X operating system and the company’s commitment to the open source movement.  And I am especially looking forward to working with and learning from the great board members who have guided this legendary company’s inspiring resurgence.”

Mr. Gore was inaugurated as the 45th Vice President of the United States on January 20, 1993.  He was re-elected in 1996, and helped lead the U.S. into the longest period of sustained economic growth in American history.  He served for a total of eight years as President of the Senate, a member of the cabinet and the National Security Council, and as the leader of a wide range of Administration initiatives including environmental policy, technology, science, communications and government cost reduction.

As a member of the U.S. Congress 25 years ago, he popularized the term “Information Superhighway,” and was instrumental in fighting for federal funds to assist in building what later became the Internet.  He has remained an active leader in technology—launching a public/private effort to wire every classroom and library in America to the Internet.

Mr. Gore serves as a Senior Advisor to Google, Inc.  He is also a visiting professor at the University of California Los Angeles, Fisk University and Middle Tennessee State University.

Mr. Gore received his B.A. in Government with honors from Harvard University in 1969, and attended the Vanderbilt University School of Religion and the Vanderbilt University School of Law.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Apple is committed to bringing the best personal computing experience to students, educators, creative professionals and consumers around the world through its innovative hardware, software and Internet offerings.

NOTE:  Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, and Macintosh are trademarks of Apple.  Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

Source: Apple Computer, Inc.

Signature

Visit Brainwrap Web Design:
    http://www.brainwrap.com

• Posted: 19 March 2003 01:16 PM #1

This oughta make Mac maven Rush Limbaugh just about apoplectic.  He might even sputter! raspberry

• Posted: 19 March 2003 01:33 PM #2

uh oh….

• Posted: 19 March 2003 01:39 PM #3

Gee, that’s…..just….fantastic…..(HEAVY SARCASM) rolleyes

Posted: 19 March 2003 01:49 PM #4

Our coverage has been posted, BTW.  It includes analysis and lots of background info.

Apple Appoints Al Gore To Board Of Directors

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 19 March 2003 01:50 PM #5

Hmm, I thought in an interview a few years back he was a former Mac user, but had a ThinkPad at the time.  Well, we live in interesting times.  He’s a smart guy, but in times like this, his mere presence might drive the far right away from the platform.  We’ll see how this works.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

Posted: 19 March 2003 02:02 PM #6

This seems to me to be but a modest reward for the man who “During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet.”

http//www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,18390,00.html

• Posted: 19 March 2003 02:10 PM #7

Blech!!!!!!  Negative cool points for Apple!  :evil:

*stubborn Republican*  raspberry

Signature

800DVI TiBook: 800/1GIG/40GB 5400RPM/Combo/AirPort
    PowerMac G4: Dual 1.25Ghz | 2GB RAM | 80GB | SuperDrive | GeForce 4 Ti 128MB
    23” Apple HD Cinema Display + 17” Apple Studio Display
    10gig & 15gig iPods
    etc.

I Corinthians 13:4-8

Posted: 19 March 2003 02:14 PM #8

Timmy, that quote is not included in that article.  Where exactly did you get it?

I ask specifically, because this particular urban myth drives me crazy.  grin

Gore took credit for taking the lead in sheperding through Internet-related legislation, and in being the Internet’s front man for the Clinton administration, both of which are true. He also helped legitimize the concept in Washington.

The quote you mentioned is actually a misquote that was started by one particular journalist not particularly keen on Gore.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 19 March 2003 02:19 PM #9

al gore is a load of freakin crap. simply put. he wont last long at apple. he is all talk. and the talk is lies. and lies dont travel as far in business as in politics. and im sure he has the creativity of a pair of donkey kidneys.  no, no, he wont last. he will just suck up apples money and make a bunch of silly remarks like “lets develop a interpersonal plan to utilize the synergies in order to supplement our products with better syngergies as well.” it’ll be like a really horrible dilbert comic. then soon hes gonna start putting his crappy name on stuff for political spite. AL-MAC? no.

• Posted: 19 March 2003 02:29 PM #10

Great. One of the people I despise the most is now a representative for Apple. Let’s hope he looks to Steve for innovative ideas and not the other way around.

-Loon

Posted: 19 March 2003 02:48 PM #11

Gore and the internet

Bryan,

(and whomever else is interested)

Here is the transcript:

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1999/03/09/president.2000/transcript.gore/index.html

Signature

Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in… no wait, that’s already taken.
    I’m not a zealot, I’m an Appleficionado.

Posted: 19 March 2003 02:49 PM #12

Bryan, you are correct, the article does not contain that quote and in the clippings of stuff I have, I failed to record its source when I saved it several years ago. I do feel that, even tho Gore did not say he invented the internet inthe Wired article, that he did claim to have more influence over national information policy than he truly did, as the article pretty much takes him to task for.

But more to the point and to get down to nuts and bolts, was it a good move for Apple? Well, for one thing, your TMO analysis points towards the Clinton administration’s record during the 90s. But, I am not sure that that record is indicative of Al Gore, for better or for worse. I never had the impression that the two men saw eye to eye on very much.

Then, there is the record of the Clinton administration to begin with on anti-trust issues and how they pertain to the American public. I come at this subject as someone who was very intimately involved in the Clinton administration’s anti-trust efforts, not in computers, but in telecommunications.

To me, the anti-trust record of the Clinton administration was a huge disappointment. It started well, with Anne Bingaman (wife of New Mexico senator Jeff Bingaman) at the anti-trust seat in the Justice department, and Reed Hundt at the head of the FCC. In the history of Telecom anti trust, the Bell System and its successors generally had the backing of the Republican Party, while the competition, mainly MCI, had the backing of the Democrats, a tradition which the Clinton administration continued by these appointments. Hundt was a real champion of competition and Bingaman wa the first to take on Microsoft. I really had a lot of admiration for these folks.

Later on, and I suspect that Pres. Clinton had an eye on those lucrative campaign contributions that Republicans traditionally gathered from corporate sources, these folks were let go and William Kennard was brought in as the head of the FCC and Joel Klein took Bingaman’s place as the anti-trust chief at Justice. The winds immediately turned very cold for competition in the communications industry when Kennard began to back track on the pricing issues related to Unbundled Network Elements. I don’t want to get into a complex issue here on this, but this was the entire crux and key to telecommunications competition and still is you can see this for yourself in the ad campaigns of the Bells along the lines of “we run a network” and their attacks on state pricing recently. As far as Klein is concerned, a recent network news program portrayed him as a “fighter” when he became head of NYC schools—I nearly urped right there! Both of these individuals, I claim, have had a lot to do with the furtherance of the monopolies in this country, and I have to lay that right squarly in the lap of the Clinton administration. The Telecom Act of 1996 was a big red herring; I was working in regulatory at a Bell company at the time, and the bill was no sooner passed by the House then we had faxed copies to review for our own technical comments. The determination had already been made to fight the Act in the courts. Why did the Bells lobby so hard for the Act, only to turn and challenge it in the courts?

They couldn’t attact the consent decree that they had signed at the breakup of the Bell System; it was an agreement, not a law that could be challenged. But, if the Bells could supercede the agreement with susequent legislation, that could and was challenged in many courts across the country.

The legacy of the Clinton administration, in the eyes of this person who has been active on both sides, Bell and CLEC, of the telecom competion issues, is that the US public was sadly let down. Think about it the next time you want to order cheap DSL and how many CLEC companies have gone under because they had the rug pulled out when the government decided that it was more important to worry about the next campaign that it was to truly be concerned about whether the American public had cheap access to broadband internet. I have worked for 3 CLECs that went belly-up, myself, because they couldn’t make money at the artificially high price points that were set, for which Kennard and justice bear a large part of the blame. When the time came for the Clinton administration to look out for the technology of the information infrastructure of this country, they were found wanting, IMHO.

This is not to mention the pitiful showing that Klein put on in the Microsoft case. The whole time I wondered just how big a bite Anne Bingaman would have put on that smug face of billg… oh well, there’s no use in pondering what could have been.

I am not even going to get into Pres. Clinton’s association with J. Shelby Bryan, former CEO of ICG. I will simply stop and say that J Shelby seems to be skating just as free of his fiasco as Ken Lay is skating free of his. I almost could say that the faces change, but the actual policies don’t, but I wouldn’t care to get into a political story here.

No, the subject is Al Gore. Jobs can probably get some mileage from VPres. Gore on the political front. If it works for the benefit of Apple, I will certainly be happy about it. But, the past record of the Vice President is a bit to muddied for me to say one way or another.

• Posted: 19 March 2003 03:19 PM #13

Hmm..

I think he certainly brings with him some baggage - namely the detest of republicans but you know if he does his job that’s what matters.

This also means that BOTH presidential clients for the last election used macs smile

That said the winner didn’t get the job of president so maybe a position with apple will make up for it wink Sounds like a pretty good consolation prize to me

• Posted: 19 March 2003 03:20 PM #14

I am thrilled. He may not be the most exciting guy in the world but he is extremely intelligent and a tech geek. Hurrah!

• Posted: 19 March 2003 03:25 PM #15

[This and the following 2 posts have been edited to remove bold tags - Photodan]
    This is pretty pathetic. 

Al Gore is confabulator, plain and simple.  Apple seems to be doing the same lately about expenses and other such related matters.  So, it kind of makes sense to me.

Who can forget the “I owned a chicken farm,” fiasco?  Remember that?  Al Gore said that he owned a chicken farm.  When a reporter did some digging and research and confronted Al Gore as a liar, Gore had to admit that it was his father actually owned chickens—and only about 20 at that, not the “10,000” that Gore claimed.

Then there is the issue of “inventing the internet.”  I guess now that he’s with Apple he can legally state that he’s associated with inventing the internet. 

I think that Steve bringing Gore on is just a desperate measure to bring some money, Democratic deep pockets, into 1 Infinite Loop.

Personally, I got fed up with the peeling paint Titaniums-cracking hinge Titaniums-warping 12-inch Powerbooks (from heat)-raster shift eMacs-cracking case Cubes-‘Wind Tunnel’ Power Macs-Apple computers and just turned to Sony systems instead.  That was topped off by the revelation that my money is jetting Jobs around on a 140 MILLION dollar jet and giving his executives 1.5 MILLION dollar loans.  Meanwhile, YOU SUCKERS are fighting with Apple to pay for petty issues like your peeling paint issues.

Now your money can feed and house Gore and his confabulators in addition to Jobs’ “largesse living.”  While he’s jetsetting around the globe you Apple consumers and the poor laid-off Apple employees can think about how Apple and Jobs treats all of you. 

This is the same as if Bill Gates was so desperate that he brought George Bush (Jr. or Sr.) onto the board of directors at Microsoft.  It’s so partisan it’s pathetic.

Apple must be desperate.