iTunes and CDDB

Posted: 21 June 2001 03:21 AM

I don’t seem to be able to access CDDB any more from iTunes. When I “Get CD Track Names”, I get an immediate response saying: An error occurred while accessing the CDDB server. Check your internet connection and configuration.

Because I’m obviously connected OK (how else could I send this message), and I’m not running from behind a firewall, for good or ill, I don’t know what’s gone wrong. I’m using a 512k cable modem, with a fixed IP address, and I don’t have any problems anywhere else.

It used to work, up until a couple of weeks ago - I even submitted a few track lists to CDDB. But now, nothing. )-8

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 19 June 2001 06:26 AM #1

It is possible that the CDDB was down for awhile.  Are you still having problems?  What version of iTunes are you using, for OS X or OS 9.1?  I just tested mine on OS X and it connected fine.  Have you installed anything new since you last ran iTunes?  Let us know.

Signature

Signatures are for geeks…. I’m a geek.

• Posted: 19 June 2001 06:45 AM #2

It is working for me too though it was a little slower than usual.

Signature

Windows sucks.

Posted: 19 June 2001 12:31 PM #3

I’m using 1.1.1 on OS X - and it hasn’t been working for well over a week now - maybe two.

I haven’t tried using it in 9.1 - maybe I’ll switch back tonight and have a look.

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 19 June 2001 12:41 PM #4

Laurie, it’s working for me too, in X.  iTunes 1.1.1, X 10.0.3.  Direct connection to the Internet.

Signature

Editor - The Mac Observer

Favorite (but less relevant than it used to be) Quote: Microsoft’s tyranny lies not in its success, but in the way it achieved and maintains that success.

• Posted: 19 June 2001 12:59 PM #5

It seems you are not the only one with this problem.  See the following threads:

Apple Discussion 1
    Apple Discussion 2

They talk about deleting iTunes preferences in OS 9 in the first one as a solution for problems in OS 9, but I don’t see a solution for OS X yet. Hmm.

Thread 1

Thread 2

The only other thing I can think of would be to find the info for iTunes in your user Library file on OS X, but I’d have to be at my OS X machine to suggest what to do.

If these help, great, otherwise I may write back later.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bryan on 2001-06-19 16:16 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retro on 2001-06-19 17:03 ]</font>

Signature

Posted: 19 June 2001 10:14 PM #6

Thanks Retro - didn’t think of that.

I went into Preferences, got rid of the Itunes property list (well, renamed it, to be safe) and restarted Itunes.

I now have the track list of The Small Faces’ Ogdens’ Nut Gone Flake…

Well, now you all know how to fix it when it happens to you…

Signature

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 20 June 2001 06:16 AM #7

Wow, what a shot in the dark!  You’re welcome Laurie, and thanks for sharing your solution!

I am slowly learning how to troubleshoot OS X, and its now clear that instead of Preferences files, we have plists.  Unfortunately for all novice OS X users, you now have to look in a new location for a semi-cryptically named file.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Retro on 2001-06-20 09:19 ]</font>

Signature

• Posted: 20 June 2001 08:24 AM #8

I just thought of something Laurie.  If you would, open each of the files in the plist editor and compare them.  That is, if you have the developer tools installed.  It would be kind of interesting to find out where the file changed and became corrupt.

Signature

Posted: 21 June 2001 03:21 AM #9

Sorry - once I was happy that it was working again, I stupidly deleted the old one and emptied the rubbish (I think you say trash?). So I can’t do the diff.

Never mind - when it happens again, I’m sure I’ll get hold of the details.

Signature

@LaurieFleming