TMO'ers and our cars

• Posted: 14 April 2003 08:46 AM

We’ve been looking for a long time, and finally bought a new van this weekend.  We’ve been needing it since we had our third child this past fall, and three kids in a car just does not work well at all. 

So, we just got a new Honda Odyssey.  Very nice.  Like it a lot.  Can’t believe how expensive the danged things are though…

anyway, out to make money to cover the new huge car payment….

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

Posted: 14 April 2003 09:18 AM #1

Nice, Jon. Congratulations! I guess you’re not a true American family these days without a minivan. LOL

We were driving a Sable stationwagon with three kids. When the fourth came, we *had* to get a minivan. They’re essential in my mind for families. As long as we have kids around I’m sure we’ll have one.

Those Odysseys look very nice. We have a 6-year-old Caravan that’s starting to show it’s age. Probably try to get a couple more years out of it, though.

Meanwhile, I have MAJOR lust for one of these for myself. Can’t afford it, though. :(

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 14 April 2003 09:21 AM #2

I haven’t decided on the Murano yet.  Can’t tell if I really like it or not.

I drive a 2001 Maxima myself, and I absolutely love it.  Awesome car.

Signature

Jon

Posted: 14 April 2003 01:29 PM #3

Now its time to see how long until your first dent.  My new car lasted three months.  (It got dented earlier today when somebody backed into it,  I’m still annoyed that the guy never noticed me and could not hear me honking my horn at him.  Oh well, I’m a bit annoyed, as I’m sure you can tell.)

New cars are always fun to deal with though.  I love my new car and hope it lasts for a long long time.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 14 April 2003 01:38 PM #4

Hmm, my father is driving a minivan that’s now 16 years old.  It’s had an engine replacement, and been repainted once, but it’s due for a replacement.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 14 April 2003 10:01 PM #5

Congrats, Jon! Wishing you many years of safe and trouble free driving   smile

• Posted: 15 April 2003 09:01 AM #6

I was up at my Sister’s house in Salt Lake when we bought it.  We always get into the new car vs. old car debate their.  It got a bit more into it since I was buying a $30 K car while I was there.

They are the type that buy a 3-6 year old car, and pay it off in 3 or so years.  Then they drive it for another 3-5 years and put a ton of miles on it (and put a lot of money in it for that matter too.)  Although they have a payment that is $150-200 less per month then mine, they are putting $1000+ per year into repairs.  The way I figure it, is that we are not paying TOO much different for our cars, except for that mine are all brand new, under full factory warranty.  I lease them too, so in three years I turn it in for the brand new model.  I have not done a single car repair (outside of oil changes and occassional tires) in about 6 years.  I bet my sister has spent $10-15,000 on car repairs in that same time. 

anyway, no real point here, just funny….

Signature

Jon

Posted: 15 April 2003 09:53 AM #7

I’m quite familiar with that debate. I’ve argued with myself a number of times. :D

I’ve always bought used cars. I’m the guy who buys yours when your lease is up. smile

What’s best depends on a number of factors, I suppose. Cars depreciate so much in the first couple of years. If you take your time looking around and don’t let yourself get emotionally taken in in the process, a carefully purchased used car can be a great deal. I’ve usually bought cars from 1-3 years old with 25K-50K miles on them. I pay for them over 3-5 years and then usually drive them a few years beyond that. If you’ve done your research and bought the right car at the right age, you shouldn’t have to be putting much into it in repairs until after you’ve paid it off. I’ve never had a car that’s cost more to repair than continuing payments would’ve been.

Right now I’m driving a ‘96 Intrepid with 144K miles on it. I’m due for a change. My stepdaughter will turn 16 in November and I’m planning on giving it to her then. So I’ve got between now and November to find the right vehicle and don’t have to rush into anything.

Before this one, my string of cars went like this: ‘88 Merkur XR4Ti that I drove into the ground at about 150K miles (loved that car and miss it); an ‘83 Fiero I only had for 2 years; an ‘83 Prelude I totalled in an accident with about 135K miles on it; and my first car, a ‘77 Civic (remember those tiny things?!) that I sold for $400 with 142K miles.

I’m going to look into leasing a new one this time, though. I’m better able to afford it now and I’m starting to travel somewhat for my job and need to depend completely on my vehicle. I would miss those few years with no car payments, but on the other hand, lease payments are usually less than loan payments and always having a new car under warranty would be great. I’ll have to see what I can find. I think the good lease deals that are typically advertised have mileage limits around 12K/year. I’ve consistently been putting 17K-18K on yearly, which would drive the cost of a lease up.

I’m thinking about looking for a small car-based SUV like the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute, Honda CRV or a Toyota RAV4.

We shall see…..

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 15 April 2003 11:38 AM #8

I’ve always thought very little of leasing.  It is something that was instilled into me by my family.  My current car (which will hopefully have its new dents removed tomorrow by a paintless dent removal guy) is not a leased vehicle, I took out a loan to pay for it.  This has been something of a debate between me and my roommate as to which route is better.  He has a leased Ford truck which is behaving badly.  He is beginning to feel happy that he is returning it.  My Subaru is only 3 months old, and I’m hoping it will still be in good condition in 3 years.  I’m guessing the reason my family usually does not lease cars is we tend to keep them for much longer than 3 years.  5 years seems to be about the minimum span of time for owning a vehicle around here.

I’m curious if length of ownership and cost are significant factors in the lease vs. loan argument.  Should be interesting to see what everyone else thinks.

(Woooo! 100 posts smile )

Signature

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw

• Posted: 15 April 2003 11:41 AM #9

The other issue involved for leasing for me is that it is a 100% write off for my business.  If it takes me down a tax bracket, then it’s paid for itself.  Also, I don’t have to pay the money to myself (and pay tax on that money) and then pay the payment, I just have the business pay the payment.  It works very well.

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 15 April 2003 11:47 AM #10

I paid about 8 grand for a 3 year old car, three years ago.  Almost done with loan payments, and no problems with it, still looks spotless.  It’s a fire red Plymouth Neon, ‘97 model, about 43,000 miles on it.  Newest car I’ve ever owned, too.  Only complaint is that acceleration could be better when I’m merging with highway traffic, but I get almost 30 miles per gallon.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

Posted: 15 April 2003 11:58 AM #11

I owned a 96 Red Plymouth Neon for a while.  It was crap.  A/C broke twice, leaking all coolent out, the engine’s head gasket went, the transmission leaked, water got in one of the doors and shorted out the sensor, paint came flaking off, bit of rubber cushioning were falling out form the rear springs, it blew the lids off of 2 seperate batteries, and had minor failures of other part in the vehicle.  My family ended up selling it so we would not have to pour any more money into the thing.  I really hope yours lasts better than mine, but my mind has been made up to never buy from Chrysler Corp again.

Signature

• Posted: 15 April 2003 01:34 PM #12

Getting a new car is IMHO a waste of money. If you buy a 1 year old used car you’re very likely to save anything between 10 and 30 percent of the retail price. We’ve never had a new car. Our latest, a Hyundai H-100 van was 2.5 years old when we bought it. After some minor adjustments (CD Player, Electrical fan for the cargo compartment) it has served us pretty well. Ours looks like the picture one, but has a closed cargo section and is built for Europe and not New Zealand with left side driving.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

• Posted: 15 April 2003 07:17 PM #13

I just bought myself my first new (used) car a few weeks ago. It’s a ‘99 Camry XLE, and it’s pretty great. I’ve always drove clunkers my mom picked out for me. Very nice of her, but I was afraid to drive them too far from home. I’ve been thinking of taking more classes, or getting another job and I want to be able to drive more than 40 miles away to do so. It totally stinks having to worry about whether or not your car is going to make it to/from a destination.
    My car history over the past 8 years has been:

‘84 Mercury Grand Marquis (drove into the ground)
    ‘78 Chrysler New Yorker (awesome car, but it just never worked right)
    ‘84 Mercury Grand Marquis (the first car brought back from the dead.)
    ‘86 VW Golf (wonderful, but too small!)
    ‘90 Plymouth Acclaim (granny car).

I’ve always like the VW Passat, too…but $20k for a 2- or 3-year old used car is outrageous! And I like Nissans as well, but my local dealership didn’t really have what I wanted.

Anyway, new cars are fun. Congratulations, Jon!

Signature

—Katherine

• Posted: 15 April 2003 10:58 PM #14

We traded in our 2001 camry for the Honda Odyssey.  You’ll love your camry.  They are such great cars.  So reliable, we’ll built, and smooth to drive.  We had a 1998 camry before the 2001 one also. 

Even though the camry is great and reliable to drive, and WAY comfortable, it just can’t touch the fun of my Maxima though.  I love that car.  We actually considered trading in the Maxima instead, since we only had 9 months left on the lease of the camry, and when it’s up I could go get another new maxima, but I hated the idea of driving the camry for that long after I’ve gotten used to my Maxima.  It’s SO fun to drive.

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 16 April 2003 04:42 AM #15

A VW Golf too small? How tall are you? I’d find a Golf an ideal car. Not too big so it’s easy parking. And if you want to, you can tune it so it’ll do 130+ mph. Overhere even the police drive VW Golfs.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver