TMO'ers and our cars

• Posted: 09 October 2003 09:32 PM #151

[quote author=“Jon Stanard”]Infiniti G35 Coupe, all decked out.  Unfortunately, it’s too about $35k, and I’m not going to be getting one anytime soon either.  G5, and next years vacation are coming first, then I’ll look at a new car.

That’s one of my favorites too.  New car is not in my cards (especially one that pricey) for a long time though.  Maybe in another 2 years I can get a used G35.  Or I might get a used Audi TT Coupe.  I still like it, and I always wanted one….

Posted: 10 October 2003 05:53 AM #152

jabberwock, your car looks very nice.  I wish you and your family many years of enjoyment with it.  And, I too have to wait a couple of years to get my personal choice of cars…

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 10 October 2003 06:48 AM #153

[quote author=“jabberwock”]And FlatEric . . . that thing is a rocket.  What tips for the turbo, other than premium gas?

The most common tip is to idle the car for a min or two after any med to long distance drive, longer if you have been pushing the car hard.  This will let the turbo spool down and generate less problems later in the car’s life.  Its not uncommon for people to buy “turbo timers” that will actually idle the car for you, but I personally don’t have one installed in my car.  There has actually been some comments I spotted saying stock Subarus do not need this as Subaru has improved the turbo design, but I feel that idiling my car for a min while listening to the radio is a small price to pay if it keeps my car healthier.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 10 October 2003 01:26 PM #154

Thanks for the tip FE; It’s taken a few years for me to assure my wife that extended warm-UPs are actually good for a vehicle, so this shouldn’t be too hard.

look for me in the speed traps!

-jabberwock.

I actually first spelled that “spedd traps”, somehow I think it’s more appropriate. LOL

Signature

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.

Posted: 02 December 2003 09:48 PM #155

hmm I guess I missed this thread, went looking for it as I don’t have much experience with any fancy vehicles…

Here’s my current ride, got it used this summer…

1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 (click to see the whole truck)

Signature

-Louie

Posted: 09 December 2003 09:46 PM #156

OH NEW CAR BLISS!  :D

2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS Sport Wagon

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 10 December 2003 02:37 AM #157

ooooh, a wheel! :bugeyed:

(seriously though, nice car!)

Strategically placing a person in front of the license plate does look more attractive than what I did…. but oh well.

Signature

-Louie

• Posted: 10 December 2003 04:15 AM #158

[quote author=“jinkies”]OH NEW CAR BLISS!  :D
    2004 Subaru Impreza 2.5 TS Sport Wagon

And a great car at that too!  :D
    Subaru has always had some great engines. Are they still all four-wheel-drive too?

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

Posted: 10 December 2003 04:43 AM #159

Lots of Subarus around here! Congrats, jinkies. Nice car. smile

Pardon my ignorance, L0u13, but what’s the big deal about the license plate?

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 10 December 2003 05:21 AM #160

My latest object of lust:

I’m a sucker for a curvaceous body. You know, I couldn’t be happier with the Nissan Murano I bought 6 months ago, but man, these things make my heart sing. (Wild thing, I think I love you)

Take a sport wagon/SUV form factor, make it sexy as hell and then give it enough power to scream like a rocket. Mmmmmm.

and 20” wheels. too cool. Ok, I’ll shut up now and go take a cold shower. :innocent:

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 10 December 2003 07:45 AM #161

That’s one sweet car jinkies. And the colour’s nice too.

Signature

Tjeerd van Hoytema

—-
    Join us at irc.macobserver.com #macobserver

Posted: 10 December 2003 09:56 AM #162

Thanks for the congrats, all.  smile

Yes, it’s still full-time all-wheel drive, which was awesome going up the mountain for our vacation this weekend.  I’ll be trying it in snow ASAP.

And Louie, I didn’t have to cover the plates…I don’t have any plates yet.  Just the logo of the dealership.  :wink:

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 10 December 2003 03:55 PM #163

bweels, it’s just one of a few pieces of information I’d rather not make available on the internet. I don’t think anything horribly bad could come of it, but on the off chance it could…

“better safe than sorry”

Signature

-Louie

Posted: 12 December 2003 07:19 AM #164

Oooohhhh! Nice car jinkies!  (and it looks like there’s plenty of room too)  Now I don’t know for sure, but if you live in the San Francisco area, be careful where you park it so that you can avoid getting dinged.  Better yet, you need a private parking stall that reads: “Parking for jinkies only!”

bweels, its a funny thing that whenever I’m driving around and I get a glance of a Murano - I say to myself “that’s one of those cars that bweels has.”  It’s funny how something sticks in one’s mind?

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 07 August 2004 12:45 PM #165

It’s Alive… IT’S ALIIIIVE!!!!

As I promised, here’s the Green Monster:

1994 Mercury Sable V6 3.8L. Bought for $1800 even after tax, title, fees, and warranty. It’s actually my first car. Aside from the color, I love it! =) All it needs are a couple of new tires, and preventative maintenance in a few thousand miles (according to the AAA mechanic who inspected it)

Thanks to everyone here for the car tips, especially Jabberwock for the Car Buying Tips website. It was a huge help both in seeking a new car, and in getting this one.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.