TMO'ers and our cars

• Posted: 09 August 2004 02:31 AM #166

The only photo I have of my car, oddly enough, is at night in the snow. And a friend is borrowing my digital camera so I can’t take another one at the moment.

The facts:
    - 1998 Ford Taurus
    - Currently has 49,470 miles
    - I’ve had it about 1.5 years
    - It’s red

OK, I don’t have any good info on it. I’m not a car buff so I don’t really know. It takes me where I want to go without fail, and that makes me happy. smile

• Posted: 09 August 2004 07:56 AM #167

I’ll probably post some pics when I’m not at work, but here’s the lowdown on the family cars:

* 2004 Audi S4, 6-speed, 0-60 in 4something, silver (it’s rediculous, Dad’s new toy)
    * 2003 Lexus RX 330, black (oh the joys of mooning people in the car via the backup camera located above the license plate)
    * 2000 Ford Excursion Limited, 4wd, blue/tan (the only choice for moving my sister and I to college at the same time, 8 hours away, and for taking the guys snowboarding, or hauling equipment for an eagle scout project, etc)
    * 1996 Audi A4, automatic, deep green (the one that will probably be mine once I graduate from college next year *crosses fingers*)

And on a sentimental note, we had a red 2000 VW Bug Turbo for a while, but traded it in towards the Lexus.  The torque on that turbo made it extra special.  The S4 we have now could blow it out of the water, obviously, but that little thing could really get you to 0-20 in no time flat (great for sneaking into little openings in heavy traffic)

• Posted: 09 August 2004 11:54 AM #168

1997 Dodge Intrepid.  It’s the car that my mom and I share.

• Posted: 27 September 2004 04:41 PM #169

In the last 7 years I have owned these vehicles:

In Order:
    1975 Ford Torino Elite (First car, still own, bought for $250)
    1989 Dodge Colt Hatchback
    1988 Mazda B2200 SE-5
    1993 Ford Ranger RegularCab 4cyl
    1993 Ford Mustang GT Convertible (Still own)
    2003 Ford Ranger FX4 SuperCab

My babies :D

The Torino (swapped out the 400 for a 460 in 2000, roughly 400HP at the flywheel)

My Stang (drove it backwards into a ditch (very minor damage) on a snowy night, prompting the purchase of the 03 Ranger)

Signature

PowerBook G4, 15”/1.5 GHz/512/SuperDrive/80 GB HDD

PowerMac G3 B&W, 300 MHz/256/CD-ROM/10 GB and 6 GB HDD’s

Posted: 27 September 2004 06:34 PM #170

[quote author=“iDu”]My Stang

Sweet. 8-)

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 27 September 2004 07:28 PM #171

[quote author=“bweels”]Sweet. 8-)

Thank you!

Signature

PowerBook G4, 15”/1.5 GHz/512/SuperDrive/80 GB HDD

PowerMac G3 B&W, 300 MHz/256/CD-ROM/10 GB and 6 GB HDD’s

• Posted: 27 September 2004 11:21 PM #172

I currently own (Not drive. Wasnt allowed to bring my car down here, which explains the lack of photo) a 1966 Jaguar E-Type. It was given to me by my family as a hunk of scrap to rebuild as my senior present. I love that thing, though it has a competition with itself to see whether it can suck down gas or oil faster.

Signature

Cadet Robb Loeb, AFROTC
    Det 020

• Posted: 27 September 2004 11:45 PM #173

[quote author=“iDu”]

Very nice.

I love the mid-60s through mid-70s ridiculously oversized coupes with equally ridiculously huge V8s. smile

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Posted: 28 September 2004 01:30 PM #174

I’m a middle-aged bloke (there, I said it), who’d rather spend his money on Mac hardware, a heat inverter and a bathroom remodelling than spend loadsa money on a new car.

Here’s what mine looks like:

Except that mine is a Holden Vectra and this is a Vauxhall Vectra; mine is grey and this is red; mine is in New Zealand and this is in England. Otherwise they’re identical.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 04 October 2004 08:58 AM #175

+

Here’s my latest car, a Saturn ION 3 Quad-Coupe:

I love this car. It’s got those mini-doors in back (some call them “suicide doors”) that makes it very easy to access the rear seating area, plenty of power, great handling, awesome sound system (now playing Fallen by Evanescence at ears-bleeding volume), and—most of all—reliability. That reliability really came in handy two weeks ago.

On Friday, September 17, the area where I live (near Pittsburgh, PA, USA) was hit with perhaps the worst flooding ever as remnants of Hurricane Ivan stalled. I was at work in Saxonburg, PA. By 4:30 PM our ( II-VI Incorporated ) main entrance drive was submerged. Roads all around us were being closed. My home—20 minutes away in Natrona Heights—was usually accessible via a back road. Police had that road shut down.

Areas all around Natrona Heights—Freeport, Upper and Lower Burrel, Tarentum—were being hit so hard people were being rescued by boat…some off of two-story rooftops. And I had to somehow get home.

The next photo comes from this online article from a local newspaper . I didn’t drive through that particular area, but I did have to drive through countless areas that weren’t faring much better:

Despite forging through countless areas that had water rushing against my undercarriage (16” tires, roo!), the Ion never sputtered once, and I made it home safely. I’m sticking with my Saturn!  :D

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

• Posted: 04 October 2004 09:00 AM #176

Um, this one time in Seattle…. It was raining hard….and my E-Type kinda hydroplaned across a puddle….. :D

Signature

Cadet Robb Loeb, AFROTC
    Det 020

Posted: 04 October 2004 12:50 PM #177

+
    [quote author=“AFCdtLoeb”]Um, this one time in Seattle…. It was raining hard….and my E-Type kinda hydroplaned across a puddle….. :D

Typically, that’s all I deal with around here, too. If anything, western PA is known for getting heavy, dangerous snowfalls. I don’t know what the deal is, but given last year’s tornado that nearly smashed my house and this year’s floods, I’m thinking of moving someplace where I won’t have to worry about all these natural disasters. (Like, say, the plains of Kansas, Florida, or California’s west coast…. raspberry )

Signature

mrmwebmax (formerly mrmgraphics)
    Max out your site! mrmwebmax.com

Posted: 09 October 2004 08:28 PM #178

[quote author=“AFCdtLoeb”]Um, this one time in Seattle…. It was raining hard….and my E-Type kinda hydroplaned across a puddle….. :D

Subaru - The Beauty of All-Wheel Drive.®  :wink:

(Yes, I still drive the WRX.)

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

Posted: 09 October 2004 09:02 PM #179

[quote author=“FlatEric”][quote author=“AFCdtLoeb”]Um, this one time in Seattle…. It was raining hard….and my E-Type kinda hydroplaned across a puddle….. :D

Subaru - The Beauty of All-Wheel Drive.®  :wink:

(Yes, I still drive the WRX.)

I’ll second that.  I couldn’t get my car to spin on ice, and I was trying.  smile  C’mon snow!

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 14 October 2004 03:55 AM #180

A few years back, I was riding in a friend’s Toyota Spectrum when it hit a puddle. the sound was something like:

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR*gloosh*eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.