TMO'ers and our cars

• Posted: 15 October 2004 08:03 PM #181

[quote author=“mrmgraphics”]If anything, western PA is known for getting heavy, dangerous snowfalls.

WHAT?!  I’ve lived in Pittsburgh since ‘95 and there are hardly ever any big dumps! (maybe 1 every other year).  I’m an extremely avid snowboarder and 7 springs has probably the crappiest snow base and conditions of any place I’ve ever ridden!

Of course, if you’re referring to the Erie area, then yes, they get a bunch of snow, but that’s all lake effect.

• Posted: 20 October 2004 12:43 PM #182

[quote author=“spxyu02”][quote author=“mrmgraphics”]If anything, western PA is known for getting heavy, dangerous snowfalls.

WHAT?!  I’ve lived in Pittsburgh since ‘95 and there are hardly ever any big dumps! (maybe 1 every other year).  I’m an extremely avid snowboarder and 7 springs has probably the crappiest snow base and conditions of any place I’ve ever ridden!

Of course, if you’re referring to the Erie area, then yes, they get a bunch of snow, but that’s all lake effect.

I would tend to agree.  I’ve lived here since ‘91, and large snowfalls have been pretty few and far between.  There was a big one in 1996 which resulted in the 1996 flood.  And I’m sure there were some others.  The kind of rain we got in September is unprecedented for any season of the year.

Certainly it’s typical to get snow here, and sometimes a lot of it.  But we’re not talking New England or upper Midwest proportions at all.  It’s more of a typical Mid-Atlantic pattern, with mostly smallish snowfalls of a few inches and a fairly infrequent chance of a significant snowfall of a couple feet.

And don’t forget to go stock up on bread, milk and toilet paper when they’re calling for a light dusting. wink

• Posted: 13 March 2005 06:07 PM #183

The Ranger is now gone, replaced by my new sporty econo-box.

Introducing my Mazda 2002 Proteg?5

I’ve already cristened it with a white Apple sticker.  Now I’m looking foreward to installing the IceLink iPod controller since I now have a vehicle (or rather a head unit that) supports it.

Signature

PowerBook G4, 15”/1.5 GHz/512/SuperDrive/80 GB HDD

PowerMac G3 B&W, 300 MHz/256/CD-ROM/10 GB and 6 GB HDD’s

Posted: 16 November 2005 07:06 PM #184

I don’t own a Lamborghini. In fact if I did, it’d probably more trouble than it’d be worth, and too expensive to insure. As this woman found out:

http://tinyurl.com/9wjzb

This should be posted to Some people are soooo stupid thread.

More details on http://tinyurl.com/ddh77

It was for sale on Trademe just a few weeks before: http://tinyurl.com/8wgo9

Sob.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 16 November 2005 09:30 PM #185

Gotta say, not a Lamborghini owner either. Also, more of a fan of the older models ( 400GT , Miura and Countach ), but yikes. That’s sad.

Though I have to admit, one of my first thoughts was echoed in the second reply:

HOLY CRAP I HAVE TO FIND OUT WHERE THAT CAR GOES AND IF THE ENGINE + TRANNY IS FOR SALE !!!

hee hee.

(hint: The engine’s behind the driver, not in front)

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Posted: 17 November 2005 03:41 PM #186

Wooo, I remember posting in this thread quite a bit, and I still have the exact same car.  Time for an all new picture of it.

So far, the only major trouble I have experienced was a transmission problem that was fixed under warranty.  The 1-2 shift fork bent and chewed up 1st and 2nd to the point that first was griding going into gear from a dead stop with the clutch fully depressed.  Took 3 days of dealer work to get it all fixed.  :oh:

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 18 November 2005 06:14 PM #187

Posted: 21 November 2005 11:28 AM #188

I swore that I would never get a new car again, depreciation is just too high the first year. Then two things happened. My wife saw a Prius and just loved it (and the milage wasn’t too bad either)

http://homepage.mac.com/geoduck/Travel/Road05/Prius.html

Then I happened to test drive a Cooper Mini and went ape over it like I haven’t since I was I high school motor-head.

http://homepage.mac.com/geoduck/Mini/Mini.html

So we got two cars this year. I can’t afford a new shirt right now but I got some faboo wheels.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 21 November 2005 06:54 PM #189

[quote author=“geoduck”]Cooper Mini

but you’re ruining the grass!

wink

Posted: 11 April 2006 05:06 PM #190

The apocalypse is upon us!

The apocalypse is upon us!  Jason Varner finally managed to get a new car.

Apparently he traded in The Hat for a newer cooler model as well.

Congrats JV.  :D

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 11 April 2006 05:54 PM #191

Naw, I just left THE HAT at work.

But yes, that is my new Scion tC, and it is a fun little car.

And only two days late, eh FE? rolleyes

-JMV

Signature

Honorary Handsome Brute of TMO
    Bearded UNIX Guru-in-Training

Call me jvarner; it’s shorter and doesn’t require capitalization.

Posted: 11 April 2006 06:28 PM #192

Well, the NEW HAT goes very well with the new car. 8-)

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

Posted: 12 April 2006 04:53 AM #193

I keep telling people that Scion makes a nice little car. Nobody believes me, they only remember the xB, the boxy one that looks like Shaq’s shoe.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 12 April 2006 06:35 AM #194

Congratulations Jason Varner!

Wow! What a Babe magnet! (the hat, that is raspberry )

Now crank up the tunes and burn rubber…! smile

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 12 April 2006 08:06 AM #195

Automatic transmission, I’m supposing.

The real joy of driving is in the manual transmission…  raspberry

Oh, and I don’t have a car, because I don’t need one.

But I’d love one of these: