TMO'ers and our cars

Posted: 12 April 2006 04:58 PM #196

[quote author=“macinnerd”]Automatic transmission, I’m supposing.

The real joy of driving is in the manual transmission…  raspberry

Correct on both counts.  I offered to teach Jason how to drive stick a while back when I had a 95 Honda Accord, but he never took me up on the offer.  And I don’t teach people with my WRX.  So Jason remains unfamiliar with how to drive manual.

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 13 April 2006 08:56 AM #197

My wife has decided she would like

I pointed out that it isn’t street-legal, that Tony George isn’t selling, that I’m not about to steal from the Indianapolis 500 Museum (not without taking the ‘67 turbine, at least)

and that there are two policemen living on our block, but that doesn’t seem to matter to her.

And yes, she can drive a manual.

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 10 May 2006 06:14 AM #198

Prius Update

We have had the Prius for a year now (~19,000 miles) and we took it on a road trip to Chicago this last weekend.
    First leg; Minneapolis to Wisconsin/Illinois border 342 Mi 53.1 MPG
    Second leg; Wisconsin Border to Chicago and back to Tomah Wisconsin 331 Mi 51.5 MPG
    Third leg; Tomah Wisconsin to Minneapolis 174 Mi 53.8 MPG

A couple weeks before we used it to bring a linen cabinet home for our bathroom remodeling project and we’ve hauled everything from water softener salt to furniture in it. We’ve also had as many as 5 people in it without it feeling too cramped. We’ve never had a car with this much space.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 10 May 2006 10:56 AM #199

Re: Prius Update

[quote author=“geoduck”]
    A couple weeks before we used it to bring a linen cabinet home for our bathroom remodeling project and we’ve hauled everything from water softener salt to furniture in it. We’ve also had as many as 5 people in it without it feeling too cramped. We’ve never had a car with this much space.

My parents bought one a while ago too. One of the few cars that I am able to sit in either the front or back seat of without having to adjust the position for legroom. I’m 6’2”. VERY impressed. Too broke to afford one though.

Meanwhile, Old Musty, aka The Seafoam Beater (my ‘94 Mercury Sable) has been passed amongst family in Oregon, and finally resold for half the purchase price. So I am once again an official pedestrian.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 10 May 2006 11:31 AM #200

Where about in Oregon? I grew up in Eugene.

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2006 07:47 PM #201

And now, a comparison of Jason Varner’s and my vehicles:

Mine’s still faster than yours JV.  raspberry

Signature

According to statistics, half the world is below average intelligence
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."-George Bernard Shaw
    "You can’t change that by gettin’ all…bendy."

• Posted: 08 October 2006 09:32 PM #202

Well, I don’t think I ever got around to posting a picture of my old car in this thread, but now I have a new one, so…

Well, it’s new to me!

Also, that’s my old car in the background, so hey, two birds with one stone!

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Posted: 09 October 2006 08:57 AM #203

Isn’t your hood handle missing?

Ok, so this one’s missing it’s bumper…

• Posted: 11 October 2006 08:59 PM #204

Yeah. One of the previous owners shaved it off along with the front turn signals and various other things. You can still pop the trunk lid from inside the car, though, so it’s not as inconvenient as it looks.

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Posted: 12 October 2006 04:52 AM #205

[quote author=“x136”]Yeah. One of the previous owners shaved it off along with the front turn signals and various other things. You can still pop the trunk lid from inside the car, though, so it’s not as inconvenient as it looks.

OK I’m not familiar with California laws, but don’t you need turn signals to be street legal?

Signature

• Posted: 12 October 2006 06:07 AM #206

[quote author=“geoduck”]OK I’m not familiar with California laws, but don’t you need turn signals to be street legal?

Street legal? Bah; hasn’t stopped me from driving this baby around town:

Of course, that top speed of 229MPH may have something to do with my not being caught. [Fires up Rush’s “Red Barchetta” on the ol’ iPod]

Signature

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.
    - Oscar Wilde

Posted: 13 October 2006 11:38 AM #207

Maybe it’s OK as long as your back ones are there. Just like license plates! In France you need both in order to be street legal.

• Posted: 21 October 2006 01:42 AM #208

[quote author=“geoduck”]Where about in Oregon? I grew up in Eugene.

Noooo!! I live in Eugene and everywhere I turn I run into someone who is connected to other people that I know. And now it’s happening on the Internet!...

Posted: 18 November 2006 08:34 AM #209

If I could own a special car or when I own this special car, I will post a pic.  In the mean time, I will kindly ask our members to keep an eye out for me for a 1985 Toyota Celica GTS Convertable that is for sale in the Southern California area.  You know, it’s a long shot, but I’m hoping to find one in good condition that someone is willing to let go cheap (around $2,000.00 or less) for a good cause, to a good home, to someone who will appreciate and care for their vehicle, for a sympathy sale, and because they are willing to help a friend from TMO out. :D Hey, this could be fun trying to find one, sort of like the seven degrees of separation game?  How about this; does anyone know anyone or knows of someone who knows of someone who owns an 85TCGTSC… smile

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan

Posted: 05 December 2006 09:58 AM #210

Yeah Baby! Yeah!  :D

It’s been a life long dream since 1985 to own a 1985 Convertable Celica GTS but, due to the cost (@$19K), at the time I had to settle for the less expensive Corrolla GTS( which was still big bucks for me @$13K). The dream would fade in and out over the years until finally last Friday it finally happened; I found an affordable 85 GTS Convertable in good condition that I could buy. I wish that I had the time to go over the car completely, but since driving it home and parking it in the garage, I continue to have to balance my time between work, family, hunny-do’s, chores, and etc… But you know what? I enjoy just being able to look at it sitting in MY garage! And!, I named her “Katara,” after a character in the “Avatar” cartoon series.
    There are a few minor things that it needs or could use but, otherwise, the car is Great! No pictures yet but when I do, I’ll need help posting them. 

Now I have every material thing that I’ve always really wanted: My 20"iMacG5, my iPod video, and now my ‘85 Celica GTS Convertable.

I’m the luckiest and happiest dude on the planet! LOL

Signature

You can save your money to spend later on retirement, but you cannot save the days of your youth.  Therefore, spend some of your money on yourself and enjoy life now!       
      thepoeticjuan