TMO'ers and our cars

• Posted: 05 June 2003 10:42 AM #31

On the new vs used thing again, I had wanted to say that I think there are merits to both.  I like Audis, for instance, but I wouldn’t be able to afford a new one.  I would consider buying one that was a few years old.  I got a really good deal on my Integra buying it new, though, better than any deal on used ones (even though a used Honda product like that is typically a good bet as a solid car).

Oh, and whoever it was that was looking for new car smell in the Honda, try this:  put the ventilation system on defrost, press the recirculate button, and put the blower on fairly high.  I still get “new car smell” doing that, even after 3 years. :D (New car smell is from the plastic and stuff in there.)

Posted: 05 June 2003 11:28 AM #32

[quote author=“CrazyOne”]Oh, and whoever it was that was looking for new car smell in the Honda, try this:  put the ventilation system on defrost, press the recirculate button, and put the blower on fairly high.  I still get “new car smell” doing that, even after 3 years. :D (New car smell is from the plastic and stuff in there.)

I remember seeing a car air-freshener a few years ago with a scent called “New Car Scent”.  LOL

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 05 June 2003 12:27 PM #33

Actually New Car Smell™ never goes away completely. It’s the smell of the solvents leeching out of the plastic. (which is also the cause of the haze that always builds up on the inside of your windows after a few weeks) If you don’t smoke or leave greasy fast food bags in the car, you can smell it if you let the car sit on a hot day with the windows closed.

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

• Posted: 05 June 2003 12:40 PM #34

I mentioned my ‘97 Plymoth Neon on the first page of the thread.  I got my Title for it from GMAC last weekend, so I guess it’s paid for now.  Bright red, though the maple tree it gets parked under has left a mess on it lately.

Previous car was an ‘88 Dodge Omni hatchback that I bought from a relative of a relative.  Very low milage, and the engine held up well, but the white paint didn’t, and the door hand on the driver’s side broke not once, but twice!  Small, but good acceleration.  I could put it in gear, and get it up to about 30 mph without touching the gas.

First car was a silver Pontiac 6000 LE, ‘82 edition.  It was an outright gift from my uncle in ‘90.  Maroon interior with a tape deck.  It burned a lot of oil after a while, and one evening at a stoplight the transmission gave out, and suddenly all gears were Neutral.(automatic transmission)  We pushed it home with one of my parent’s cars, and eventually gave it as is to a charitable organization.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 05 June 2003 12:42 PM #35

While we’re at it, I’d like to point out two of the worst examples of automotive design I’ve seen in a looooong time. These vehicles personify ugly.

Honda Element

Toyota Scion bx (aka. toaster on wheels)

-Dan

Signature

"ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin

What’s the difference between a Mac and a PC? Macs are designed, PCs are assembled.

Posted: 05 June 2003 12:54 PM #36

I’d like to stand up in defense of the Honda Element.  For those of us who like to get out and get dirty, and then have to get back in the car, this is a dream come true.  It’s *the* car for someone who surfs, because of the neoprene seat cover option, so you and your salt water don’t ruin the seats.  I can’t tell you how many times I wished I could hose out my car, and with the Element you can.  So the car has for function than form.  I’d take it.

Oh, and they use an iPod in one of the demo videos for the Elemet, so how bad could it be?  :D

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 05 June 2003 01:00 PM #37

Yes, jinkies, there some great things about the Element. But it’s still dang ugly. LOL

Signature

Brian

• Posted: 05 June 2003 01:36 PM #38

My first car was a Toyota pickup that was 5 years old, and i am finally getting rid of it after driving it for about 12 years because of the problems that are starting to show up.  Don’t remember mileage, but I’d been putting about 10-12k per year, sometimes more.

Now I’m driving a ‘98 Toyota Corolla, bought mainly for it’s gas mileage.  It’s doing fine.

And with loans, I will never get a loan through a dealership, luckily I have a 401(k) savings that i can borrow against, and it has done well for me.

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

• Posted: 05 June 2003 01:52 PM #39

[quote author=“jinkies”]...So the car has for function than form.

Ugh, the same argument that let this other design mistake hit the market…

The Pontiac Aztek… the car that comes with a… tent? Huh?

-Dan

Signature

• Posted: 05 June 2003 04:42 PM #40

I actually don’t think the Honda Element is that bad. Sure, it’s different (especially for Honda, which tends to go for safe designs in a lot of its models), but it’s not too bad, IMO. I have been waiting for boxy and/or angular to come back into style ever since Ford discovered the ellipse tool in a CAD program when designing the second generation Taurus and the previous generation Mustang.

And besides, when the Aztek exists, you have to try really hard to get the title of “ugliest car ever”. smile

Signature

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Posted: 05 June 2003 05:09 PM #41

I was going to post a pic of the Aztek but Photodan beat me to it. Here’s another candidate for “ugliest car ever”:

The 1974 AMC Matador!

Signature

Brian

• Posted: 05 June 2003 09:16 PM #42

Brian, that’s one sweet ride man.  I’m jealous.

Ok, I totally missed where this thread has gone in the past couple weeks.

Brian, congrats on your new car.  That’s awesome.  Do you have it yet?  At first I was not at all sure what I thought about the Murano’s, but now they have really grown on me and I like them a lot. 

New vs. Used.  I think I answered that before.  New all the way.  I LOVE having brand new.  Nothing like it.

Here are a couple updates on our BRAND NEW 2003 Honday Odyssey (about 5 weeks old now): 

While we were in Hawaii on Vacation, we left it at my sister’s house while she watched our kids for us.  So, the morning after we left, my borther in law, in his BRAND NEW (1 week old at the time) Acura TL, backs out of the drive way, and smashes the front end of his Acura into the rear end of my Odyssey.  Small dent on the Van, ripped the front end off the Acura.  About $5000-6000 later (both cars, covered by insurance), it was all fixed before we got home.  Not very nice.

So, after we had been back home for about a week, I’m looking at the passanger side sliding door and notice there is a big old swirling scratch all over the door.  I’m like WHAT HAPPENED.  My wife says she was at a friends house and her little two year old decided it was pretty to draw pictures on the car WITH A ROCK!!!! 

So, I have to take it in to get buffed to see if they can get it out (it’s a light scracth, so it “might” happen), and if not I have to get it repainted and pay the $250 deductible.  I’m planning on making them pay it (the parents of the little girl) but my wife feels too weird about it.

So, it’s had a bit of wear and tear in the past 5-6 weeks.  :cry:

Now that my wife has a new car, I’m getting the itch to get another one for myself.  It won’t happen right away, but I’m eyeing the new Nissan 350Z.  It’s awesome, and now that we have a Van I don’t have to have the excuse that it’s not a family car.  I’m also considering an Acura TL type-S or a new Nissan Maxima (I have a Maxima now, and loved it right up until the new model came out…)

I waste WAY too much money on cars.  Well, and computers…..

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 06 June 2003 12:15 AM #43

Ugliest car ever? You obviously have not seen the Reliant Robin:

Yes, it had THREE wheels.

But anything Vauxhall/Opel/GM makes comes pretty close to the ugly, boring car list in my book…

Signature

Eindvijand

Resident “Crazy Belgian of TMO”™

“It takes twenty years or more of peace to make a man; it only takes twenty seconds of war to destroy him.”
    – King Baudouin I of Belgium

Posted: 06 June 2003 01:08 AM #44

Ok, I think Eind wins for Fugliest Car Found.  :bugeyed:  That’s awful!  And the color isn’t helpful.

The debate over new vs. used has been taken up by the NY Times, and it seems that used is winning .

Signature

Still evil, after all these years.!

Posted: 06 June 2003 04:48 AM #45

[quote author=“jinkies”]Ok, I think Eind wins for Fugliest Car Found.  :bugeyed:  That’s awful!  And the color isn’t helpful.

Agreed :bugeyed:

[quote author=“jinkies”]The debate over new vs. used has been taken up by the NY Times, and it seems that used is winning .

I agree with everything in the article and pretty much said the same on Page One of this thread. There’s no doubt that patiently looking for the right used car and driving it for a number of years is the most cost-effective way to buy and own a car.

But I’ve done that every time so far, and at this point, I just *wanted* a new one, dang it! :eg:

Signature

Brian