Any other Pink Floyd fans out there?

• Posted: 15 April 2003 10:42 AM

I’ve always been a HUGE floyd fan.  Love it.  I kinda go through phases where I don’t listen to it much for a while, and then I go on a binge and only listen to floyd for like weeks.  It’s just so awesome.  Every once in a while when I “rediscover” floyd I realize just how awesome they really are/were.

Anyway, I’m heading out to go find the new 30th anniversary edition of Dark Side Of the Moon, that was just released last month. 

Also, some fun floyd/DSotM facts:

(from:  http://www.pinkfloyd-co.com/disco/moon/moon_album.html )

‘Dark Side’ has it’s own CD pressing plant in Germany.

The “Dark Side of the Moon” is one of the biggest selling albums of all time, although it has only been awarded ‘Gold’ status (meaning that it has sold 500,000 copies). The ‘Platinum’ designation for million sellers did not come about until 1976, and the awards were not given retroactively.   

The “Dark Side of the Moon” was recorded between June of 1972 and January of 1973, and was released in March of 1973. It spent 724 weeks on the Billboard top 200. It was on the Billboard charts for 591 consecutive weeks between 1976 and 1988. Yet, despite its longevity on the charts, it topped the Billboard charts at Number 1 for only one week. 

** This album has spent 11 years on the billboard charts!!!!

Signature

Jon

a computer without windows is like a cake without ketchup.

• Posted: 15 April 2003 10:57 AM #1

Yep, Floyd is one of my faves too. Wish You Were Here is probably my favorite of their albums. I never really got into their really early stuff, but I still listen to them often.
    I’m mainly a Dream Theater addict now smile One of their bigger influences was Floyd and you can here it in a lot of their music.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 15 April 2003 11:56 AM #2

I didn’t really get into the Floyd until the mid-90’s.  I didn’t really HEAR them until I went away to college in ‘89, and many people in my dorm were into the new, at the time, “Momentary Lapse of Reason”, and I kept hearing “Dogs of War” when walking down the hall.  I wasn’t too impressed at the time.  I did get to see them live in ‘94, for the Division Bell tour: one of the high points of my life.

I also picked up a couple of Roger Waters solo albums two years ago.  “In The Flesh - Live” is over half Pink Floyd songs, but the rest convinced me to buy “Amused to Death”.  Very nice.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

Posted: 15 April 2003 01:17 PM #3

Re: Any other Pink Floyd fans out there?

[quote author=“Jon Stanard”]Anyway, I’m heading out to go find the new 30th anniversary edition of Dark Side Of the Moon, that was just released last month.

Wow, my 20th anniversary edition is 10 years old already?  :bugeyed:

Even though I was pretty young, I’m old enough to remember hearing “Money” on the Top 40…. rolleyes

Signature

Brian

It depends on what you look at, obviously,
    But even more it depends on the way that you see

• Posted: 15 April 2003 02:04 PM #4

hmmm, gone searching, and no luck.  May have to do Amazon.  I hate to wait for delivery though.

I can’t believe in my town, with around 80K people in the general area, and there is only ONE CD store in town, and they have CRAP selection.  There were two others and they both have gone out of business in the past year.  What’s up with that.

I guess I could try both of the Wal-Marts…

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 16 April 2003 12:22 PM #5

Do you know, I’ve never listened to that whole album?  Must go out and find it.  Currently listening to “A Momentary Lapse of Reason”.

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

• Posted: 16 April 2003 02:12 PM #6

oh man, the old stuff is SO much better then the new stuff.  Dark side of the moon, animals, meddle, and wish you were here, those are the best.  Get them!!

Signature

Jon

• Posted: 17 April 2003 07:59 AM #7

Ok, i will put those on a list to go looking for, AFTER the sci-fi convention next weekend (I only get paid once a month, and this is happening just before month-end.  :cry:  )

Signature

Mac OSX. I’ve upped my standards. Up yours.

“Sort of? Sort of the end of the world? You mean we won’t be certain? We’ll look around and say ‘Pardon me, did you hear something?’?”

• Posted: 25 April 2003 12:38 PM #8

[quote author=“Jon Stanard”]oh man, the old stuff is SO much better then the new stuff.  Dark side of the moon, animals, meddle, and wish you were here, those are the best.  Get them!!

I agree - I’m talking about the wierd psychedelic stuff they did before Meddle.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 25 April 2003 04:05 PM #9

I’m not that into the real early stuff, though I do have A Saucerful of Secrets and Ummagumma.  My favorite nowadays is probably Animals.

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

• Posted: 24 May 2003 08:01 AM #10

I missed the starting gun. Again.

Signature

Karate ni sente nashi

Posted: 30 May 2003 11:16 AM #11

Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a PICT file.

• Posted: 30 May 2003 12:20 PM #12

[quote author=“jpashin”]Several species of small furry animals gathered together in a cave and grooving with a PICT file.

That’s a strange song, but I don’t think the word file is on the end of it.  Considering the age of Ummagumma, I don’t think it has anything to do with Mac graphics files.  On the other hand, I don’t know any other use of the work PICT…

Signature

Common Sense Ain’t.

Posted: 30 May 2003 12:51 PM #13

That’s a strange song, but I don’t think the word file is on the end of it.

The pict in the song, IIRC, is an ancient gentleman from what is now Scotland, who enters near the end of the piece with an unintelligible diatribe, which is probably a pictish rendition of “how can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat!”

This song confirms that Pink Floyd was way ahead of their time and was using Macintosh computers outfitted with MacDraw by 1969, long before the Apple I debuted at the Homebrew Computer Club in Palo Alto.

“Careful with those Macs, Eugene!”