Mac Geek Gab #120: Passwords Explained, RAM Utilization, and .Mac Sync Usefulness
Show notes for Mac Geek Gab Podcast For Monday, September 14th, 2007
John and Dave explain Mac OS X's password security, decide whether or not .Mac sync is worth it, help an ailing hard drive, and more! Don't miss this special weekend edition of The Mac Geek Gab.
Sponsor: PDFpen: Effortlessly edit your PDFs. Add text, images and signatures, combine and split PDFs, reorder and remove PDF pages, and fill out and save PDF forms. Check out the "scribbles" feature for correcting papers and more.
Note: Shownotes are complete!
- Embedded Systems Conference
- How Mac OS X Implements Password Authentication
- How Mac OS X Implements Password Authentication, Part 2
- Enabling Firmware Password Protection
- Using Workgroup Manager on Mac OS X Client
- .Mac Sync
- Mac OS X Sync Solutions
- A detailed look at memory usage in OS X
- USB 2.0 Server
- AirPort Extreme Sharing
- Mac OS X: About file system journaling
- Drive Genius
- Change the Finder's default name for duplicated files
- Podcast and New Media Expo
- Culture Catch Salon @ PME 2007
- - You're downloading today's show from CacheFly's network
- BackBeat Media Podcast Network
- MacGeekGab AAC Enhanced Feed - Thanks to [removed]eval(unescape('[removed]('Michael Johnston')'))[removed].
Podcast-related sites to visit (and vote for us!):
- Subscribe to the Mac Geek Gab in iTunes! - Show Details - Write a review!
- PodcastAlley - Vote (please!)
- Podcast Pickle
|[removed] var frappr_mapheight = 210; var frappr_mapwidth = 210; var frappr_mapzoom = 60; var frappr_host = "http://www.frappr.com/";var gid = 587916;[removed] [removed][removed]|
[removed]eval(unescape('[removed]('E-mail John and Dave')'))[removed] (even an audio comment, if you please!), post in the comments below, Skype your message to "macgeekgab", or call and leave a voice-mail at 206-666-GEEK!
This podcast is recorded on a Mac using Audio Hijack Pro. As for equipment, John is using a Behringer C-1 microphone going through a Behringer Eurorack UB1222FX-PRO mixer, monitored with Etymotic ER-6i Isolator earphones, then straight in to his Mac. On Dave's end, a Heil PR-40 microphone is used, and the whole show is mixed "live" through a Mackie Onyx 1220 FireWire-enabled mixer before being pumped back into the Mac (via FireWire, of course), and is monitored with Ultimate Ears UE-7 Ambient earphones. Each microphone is run through a channel on a Behringer Autocom Pro-XL MDX1600 compressor, a touch of reverb is added with an ART FX-1 processor, and the whole thing is then compressed in software on the Mac. The show is recorded to AIFF, and then converted and uploaded with an Automator script. Michael, aka Computernap, then goes through and enhances the show to provide you with the AAC version. You can hear more details of the setup and how it's mixed on Episode #32.
Find more editions at the TMO To Go: Mac Geek Gab index.