New Apple USB Mouse, Really!
MACWORLD Expo - New Apple USB Mouse, Really!
by , 2:15 PM EDT, July 19th, 2000
Apple has announced that it has redesigned its mouse and renamed it the Apple Pro Mouse. This new unit is replacing the infamous "hockey puck" that used to be the default USB mouse shipping with new Macs. The mouse was given a warm welcome during Steve Jobs' keynote address. Mr. Jobs wowed that crowd by giving all of the attendees a free unit at the end of the show. According to Apple:
Based on a high-precision optical tracking mechanism, the Apple Pro Mouse won’t stick or skip around — and you’ll never have to clean its cage. This could be the world’s most accurate pointing device, next to your finger. Because this mouse comes right to the point with an optical sensor that provides spot-on cursor control — and unparalleled accuracy.the new mouse is shipping with all new desktop units and is available fpr US$59 at the Apple Store. You can find more information about the new mouse at Apple's site.
Goodbye, mouse ball
The Apple Pro Mouse has no rollers or tracking mechanisms to wear out or clog, and no mouse balls to fish out and clean. Besides all that, there’s no distinguishable mouse button. Instead, the entire Apple Pro Mouse is in effect a super-sensitive button — the body pivots up and down to actuate the click mechanism. It even lets you fine-tune the way it clicks, with user-adjustable click tension. The elliptical shape equally accommodates right and left-handed users, and its glass-smooth surface makes it a joy to use. Would you need a special mouse pad for your Apple Pro Mouse? Not really. The optical mechanism works like a charm on just about any surface. About the only time you’d need a mouse pad is when you’re using the Apple Pro Mouse on a highly reflective glass or mirrored surface. In a case like this, a regular mouse pad will do nicely.
The Mac Observer Spin:It was about time, but we are happy to see Apple actually listening to its customers. The hockey puck mouse was not fine for everybody and it looks like the new rodent will change that. Steve Jobs actually acknolwedged this during his address, once again getting a laugh from the audience.
- Thu, 8:04 PM
- Jony Ive's Inside-Look Video for MacBook Pro with Touch Bar
- Thu, 7:39 PM
- ACM 382: How Pro Are the New MacBook Pros?
- Thu, 5:53 PM
- Apple Adds Support for 3 Video Codecs in Sierra and El Cap
- Thu, 5:36 PM
- Apple Releases Combo Updater for macOS Sierra 10.12.1
- Thu, 5:06 PM
- Apple Unveils Thinner MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, Touch ID, More
- Thu, 3:46 PM
- Apple's 'Hello Again' Event Wasn't About the Mac After All
- Thu, 3:25 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-27: Apple's 'hello again' Wrap Up with new MacBook Pro Models
- Thu, 2:44 PM
- Apple Commercial: 'The new MacBook Pro featuring Touch Bar â€“ So much to touch'
- Thu, 12:53 PM
- Mac Observer Apple Keynote Live Coverage
- Thu, 10:25 AM
- Apple Retail Stores Set Stanchions Overnight, Hints at New Product Availability Today
- Thu, 9:47 AM
- Apple Store Offline Ahead of 'hello again' Media Event
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- Rotating Car Phone Stand: $13.99