Product Focus - Get The Dirt On MS Office 2001's Release Info
by , 7:00 AM EDT, September 15th, 2000
Microsoft e-mailed us with information about the release of Microsoft Office 2001. They discussed availability, pricing and system requirements. According to Microsoft:
As we announced at Macworld NY, Office 2001 for Mac will be available in October. We are doing our best to get Office 2001 on store shelves as early in October as possible, and we are targeting October 11.
Products & Pricing
Office 2001 for Mac will include Word 2001, Excel 2001, PowerPoint 2001, Internet Explorer 5, , Entourage 2001. Office 2001 standard packaged pricing will remain unchanged from Office 98. The estimated retail prices are $499 for full version and $299 for upgrade version.
- Any PowerPC processor-based, Mac OS-compatible system (clock speed
of at least 120 MHz recommended).
- Mac OS 8.1 or later (System 8.5 or later recommended).
- 32MB of RAM with at least 1MB of Virtual Memory for systems prior to 9.0; 48MB of RAM with at least 1MB of Virtual Memory for systems 9.0 and later
- Approximately 160MB of hard-disk space for a Drag Install; 75MB for a minimum custom install.
- CD-ROM drive (or connection to a Local Area Network if installing over network).
- Monitor or display supporting 256 grays or 256 colors, with 640x480 or higher resolution.
Additional Items or services required to use certain features:
- 9600 or higher-baud modem (14,400 recommended).
- Some Internet functionality may require Internet access and payment of a separate fee to a service provider.
Microsoft Office 2001's Value Pack also offers:
- Approximately 120MB of additional clipart.
- Approximately 40MB of additional templates and wizards.
- Approximately 140MB of help, add-ins and other components.
You can find more information about Office 2001 at Microsoft's site.
The Mac Observer Spin:The Macintosh platform needs an Office upgrade badly and this additional release information sounds good to us. Hopefully everything will go according to schedule for all Mac users to enjoy the benefits of the new release.
The numbers speak for themselves. You need at least a PowerPC processor and Mac OS 8.1 to run Office properly. The price did not change, which is positive to us since companies like to increase their prices as often as they can.
- Fri, 4:54 PM
- Evidence is Mounting: Apple Will Convert the Macs to ARM CPUs
- Fri, 1:38 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-09-30: iPhone Lightning Headphone Adapters, Listener Comments
- Fri, 12:03 PM
- A Game of Thrones Gets Enhanced Edition Exclusive to iBooks
- Fri, 11:25 AM
- macOS Sierra: Fast Sound Settings from the Menu Bar
- Fri, 11:24 AM
- iLDOCK on Kickstarter: Lightning Port and Headphone Jack for iPhone 7
- Fri, 10:00 AM
- Get 8 Mac Utilities for Free
- Fri, 9:57 AM
- CW Shows Come to Apple TV, No Cable Subscription Required
- Thu, 9:34 PM
- Safari 10: Hide Flash from Every Website Except Some
- Thu, 6:53 PM
- Use 3D Touch in LINE to Read Messages without a Read Receipt
- Thu, 5:55 PM
- Apple Rolls iPhone 7 Commercial, "Balloons"
- Thu, 5:22 PM
- My Fantasy Wish List for Apple's October Event
- Thu, 1:48 PM
- How to Make macOS Sierra Empty Your Mac's Trash for You