From Show Floor: Wireless Networking? How About Wireless Printing?
MWSF - From Show Floor: Wireless Networking? How About Wireless Printing?
by , 4:45 PM EST, January 11th, 2001
The Mac Observer staff has been making heavy use of AirPort technology to help give you the most timely news from the show floor. This year, there was even official access from the press room, so we didn't have to randomly search the show floor for base stations with no passwords. So while we are convinced of the value of the wireless technology, the good folks at Epson announced a new spin on wireless networking at the show.
Imagine our surprise as we entered their booth, and saw one of their Stylus Color printers happily printing away, without any computer nearby. Of course, the mystery was quickly solved when we viewed the sign next to the printer, stating "802.11b Wireless Printer Server". We then asked for a demo, and the Epson representative led us to a nearby PowerBook (AirPort equipped, of course) selected their printer from the Chooser, and printed a document. Moments later, the printer started doing its thing.
The unit is expected ti be available sometime during Q2 2001, and should work with any networkable Epson printer, while costing less that US$500.
The Mac Observer Spin:This is really neat, if not somewhat high priced right now. Regardless, it is fairly clear that technologies like AirPort and BlueTooth are steering the entire computer industry down the wireless path, and this demonstration by Espon is simply more evidence of that.
- Fri, 10:59 PM
- Apple Pay Used to Buy $1M Aston Martin DB5 Luxury Car
- Fri, 10:23 PM
- Perpetrator of Friday's Internet Outage Comes Clean
- Fri, 9:35 PM
- macOS Sierra: Disable Auto-Logout if Sierra Enabled It
- Fri, 6:26 PM
- Apple Regent Street Opening Photo Gallery
- Fri, 5:59 PM
- Apple and IBM Partnership: Macs, iOS and Watson Are The Glue
- Fri, 5:05 PM
- Teens Steal $13,000 in iPhones from Natick Collection Apple Store
- Fri, 1:41 PM
- TMO Daily Observations 2016-10-21: iPhone 7 Fire, Microsoft Surface on the Rise
- Fri, 11:22 AM
- iPhone 7 Blamed for Car Fire
- Fri, 9:00 AM
- HYFY Pro 1-Year Plan: $25
- Fri, 8:00 AM
- King of the Hill Intro in Pixel Art
- Thu, 8:19 PM
- Eddy Cue Dampens Expectations for Original Apple TV Programming
- Thu, 7:33 PM
- Mad Max Available on Mac App Store and Steam