Apple Exec: No G5 Laptop "Anytime Soon"
Apple Expo - Apple Exec: No G5 Laptop "Anytime Soon"
by , 9:30 AM EDT, September 1st, 2004
PARIS, FRANCE - An Apple director reiterated on Wednesday comments made earlier this year that the company has no plans to announce a Mac laptop powered by a G5 processor for some time, and that technical issues of putting the chip in a small PowerBook have not yet been overcome.
Tom Boger, director of Apple's worldwide product marketing, told The Mac Observer that consumers shouldn't expect the G5 in a portable for the forseeable future.
"The new iMac G5 (desktop) is thin, but (the G5) is not thin enough for a laptop right now, "Mr. Boger said. "There are great challenges in putting a G5 processor in a laptop. The issues range from power to cooling and its overall size...You're not going to see a G5 in a laptop anytime soon."
Mr. Boger ruled out any G5 laptop this year, and would not even speculate when such a product would be available.
There has been much anticipation and rumor of G5-powered Mac laptop since earlier this year. Chipmaker IBM has made major improvements in its technology to create faster, cooler and smaller G5 processors. Big Blue has sunk billions into installing state-of-the-art chip-fabrication technology into several of its massive production plants, including one in Fishkill, N.Y.
Industry experts report, however, IBM has been unable to effectively make the G5 overcome many technical issues. Existing versions of the G5 chips can't run in laptops because they generate too much heat and consume too much energy. Experts agree keeping the inner enclosures of the laptops cool enough to prevent the processors from malfunctioning have proven difficult.
- Fri, 3:25 PM
- New Teaser Video for Apple TV+ Gives Audiences a Peak at 2023 Programming
- Fri, 2:28 PM
- The Retro 67 Charger from Shargeek Rocks Retro Looks with Modern Functionality
- Fri, 1:32 PM
- Travelin' Tim Goes to Arizona, iPhone Production Woes and More
- Fri, 1:20 PM
- Season Two of 'Slow Horses' Now Streaming: How to Watch the Espionage Comedy on Apple TV+
- Fri, 12:59 PM
- Apple Releases New Betas for iPhone, iPad, Mac and More
- Fri, 12:32 PM
- Gurman: 'realityOS' for Apple's New Mixed-Reality Headset Changes Name to 'xrOS'
- Fri, 12:12 PM
- Apple's Emergency SOS Via Satellite Feature for iPhone 14 Saves A Stranded Man in Alaska
- Fri, 11:59 AM
- Coinbase Claims Apple 'Blocked Its Last' Wallet iOS App Release Following New Policy on NFTs
- Fri, 3:00 AM
- But Just Wait 14 Months - TMO Daily Observations 2022-12-02
- Thu, 4:51 PM
- Opening an Apple Card This Holiday Season Can Net 5% Back on Apple Purchases
- Thu, 3:13 PM
- Concerns in China and More On the Terrible Craziness That Is Twitter These Days
- Thu, 2:56 PM
- Google Doodle Allows Users to Create Their Own Game to Celebrate Life of Developer Jerry Lawson