TMO Gift Guide - Gifts for Macheads and Podheads
by , 7:00 AM EST, December 9th, 2004
What better way to bring joy to all of the little Macheads and Podheads (gotta be careful saying that one) around you than to give them a great addition to the love of their life? Here are some of my faves.
My favorite iPod accessory is my Griffin iTrip. It lets you broadcast the music on your iPod to any nearby FM radio. I use my iTrip and my wife uses her iTrip mini constantly in our cars. It is cleverly designed with no wires, requires no batteries of its own and it matches the look of your iPod. They even have a black one. And the price is right. US$35. Griffin Technology.
Product: Delicious Library
Manufacturer: Delicious Monster
Got a friend with an iSight camera, but tired of seeing his ugly mug every time you boot your Mac? Then get him Delicious Library, a database that's fun. Seriously. I'm not kidding. Delicious Library lets you keep track of books, music, movies and games simply by holding the bar code up to your iSight. The item is almost magically entered into the database. Since it uses Amazon to get its info, I was able to scan lots of other types of items as well. US$40. Delicious Monster.
Delicious Monster's Delicious Library
We have all heard about the cool AirPort Express that lets you stream your iTunes music to any stereo in your house. But that's not all it does. It also is a portable (slightly bigger than an iBook power supply) wireless base station for hotel rooms or any other place you might find yourself tethered. But my family loves the fact that it can act as a wireless print server, so that all of our Macs have full-time access to our USB printer. Woohoo! US$129. Apple Computer.
Is a friend interested in OS X's under the hood Unix power, but when you told them to go fsck their disk, he kicked you in the crotch? Put away your codpieces, Unix nerds, and get him Learning Unix for Mac OS X Panther. This book is a great intro to Unix, including the Terminal, windowing systems, and applications. He'll find himself launching Terminal to do things almost every day. US$20. O'Reilly.
What would fun on your Mac be without games? Set up a friend for hours and hours of fun with World of Warcraft. This works well for friends you don't want to see a lot of. World of Warcraft is an MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role-playing game) with thousands of players. He'll choose a race and class and explore entire countries for the foreseeable future. There's even an in-game ebay-like auction system so he can sell those magic items that he can't use to the highest bidder, wherever they may be. US$50. Blizzard.
World of Warcraft
Check out our other 2004 Gift Guide's, too!
- TMO Gift Guide - Gifts for Macheads and Podheads, by Gary Randazzo
- TMO Gift Guide - Five Gadgets for your Mac, by John F. Braun
- TMO Gift Guide - Gifts Cheap on Price; High in Value, by Brad Gibson
- TMO Gift Guide - Gifts For The Technarian In Your Life, by Vern Seward
- Computing with Bifocals - Software to Put Under the Tree, Part II, by Nancy Gravley
- Computing with Bifcoals - Software to Put Under the Tree, Part I, by Nancy Gravley
- Mon, 2:19 PM
- Apple's Brisk Moves to the Future Could Damage Important Revenues
- Mon, 1:41 PM
- The Black Friday Mac Bundle 2.0: $19.99 Today
- Mon, 1:28 PM
- Fake News and Snatched iPhones – TMO Daily Observations 2016-12-05
- Mon, 11:35 AM
- Apple Watch Sales Decline 71% in Third Quarter Thanks to Late Series 2 Intro
- Mon, 10:14 AM
- Apple Beta Testing Improved iCloud Photos Interface
- Mon, 8:13 AM
- Amazon Snowmobile is a Giant Truck That Can Move 100PB to the Cloud
- Mon, 7:44 AM
- UK Police Circumvent iOS Encryption By Snatching iPhone Out of Suspect's Hands
- Mon, 5:00 AM
- How to Show the User Library Folder in macOS Sierra
- Mon, 4:13 AM
- Apple Tells NHTSA That All Autonomous Car Prototypes Are Created Equal
- Mon, 3:13 AM
- 2016 MacBook Pro vs. 1989 Macintosh Portable: FIGHT
- Sun, 12:21 PM
- Mail Tips & Solving Generic Dock Icons – Mac Geek Gab 634
- Fri, 11:10 PM
- Apple Removes Fashion Executive Paul Deneve from Leadership Site [Update]