Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Wed, 4:48 PM
- Twelve South Introduces Forté MagSafe Charger for iPhone 12
- Wed, 4:42 PM
- CASETiFY’s New Spring Cases are Great for iPhone 12
- Wed, 3:28 PM
- Password Manager Dashlane Introduces ‘Essentials’ Plan for $4
- Wed, 3:07 PM
- How Many AirTags Can a User Pair to a Single Apple ID Account?
- Wed, 2:59 PM
- The Good and Bad Of the Apple Podcasts Update
- Wed, 2:11 PM
- Apple OS Updates Galore – TMO Daily Observations 2021-04-28
- Wed, 1:39 PM
- RoboKiller Spam Call & Text Blocker 2-Year Subscription: $39.99
- Wed, 1:14 PM
- Next Gen 'M2' Apple Silicon Chips Already in Mass Production
- Wed, 1:14 PM
- iOS 14.5: Here’s How to Start Blocking App Trackers
- Wed, 12:11 PM
- Elliot Page Interview With Oprah to Air on Apple TV+ on Friday
- Wed, 11:20 AM
- Delta to Equip Flight Attendants With iPhone 12 in Bid to Improve Customer Experience
- Wed, 10:48 AM
- Photo Ninja by DoNotPay Can Confuse Facial Recognition Algorithms