Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Wed, 5:22 PM
- Apple and Google App Store Policies Get Slammed in New Study By India Developers
- Wed, 4:30 PM
- Retrofy Your Computer with This Old School Icon Set Inspired by the '84 Macintosh
- Wed, 4:25 PM
- Apple YouTube Ad Highlights How the iPhone Can Protect User Data from Brokers
- Wed, 4:12 PM
- How and Why to Use Zoom on Apple Watch
- Wed, 3:49 PM
- Data Shows Netflix Continues to Lose Subscribers, Including Long-Time Users
- Wed, 2:34 PM
- Apple Introduces Professional Training to Help Growing IT Workforce
- Wed, 2:21 PM
- Google Russia Forced to Declare Bankruptcy
- Wed, 1:25 PM
- Apple Executive Ian Goodfellow Leaves Company to Rejoin Google
- Wed, 1:16 PM
- Quanta Considering Relocation of MacBook Pro Factory to Increase Production
- Tue, 4:40 PM
- Star Wars Future Unveiled by Disney
- Tue, 4:18 PM
- Apple Facing Lawsuit Claims AirPods Ruptured Child's Eardrum after Amber Alert
- Tue, 3:39 PM
- Apple Delays Stricter In-Person Work Requirements Citing Rising COVID-19 Cases