Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Wed, 9:49 PM
- Living with Apple's Touch Bar, the Reverse Toaster Fridge - ACM 388
- Wed, 6:42 PM
- World's Largest Rube Goldberg Machine Lights Christmas Tree
- Wed, 5:58 PM
- GoPower Plus Battery Space Gray Has Built-in Charging Cable
- Wed, 5:52 PM
- Why Some High-Profile Hires Don’t Thrive at Apple
- Wed, 4:36 PM
- Nomad Leather MFi-Certified Charging Wallet: $49.95
- Wed, 4:29 PM
- Setapp Brings Netflix-style Downloads to Mac Apps
- Wed, 2:16 PM
- MacBook Pro USB-C Donglegate - TMO Daily Observations 2016-12-07
- Wed, 12:39 PM
- Great Gifts for Groovy Geeks: 2016 Edition
- Wed, 11:56 AM
- Apple Music tops 20 Million Users
- Wed, 10:45 AM
- For Geeks Only: Hey Alexa, Tell Sonos to Play Stevie Wonder in the Kitchen
- Wed, 10:27 AM
- PDFpen 8.3 gets MacBook Pro Touch Bar Support
- Wed, 9:23 AM
- macOS: Archiving a Time Capsule