Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Tue, 5:01 PM
- iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro Proving Popular in China
- Tue, 4:50 PM
- Antitrust Lawsuit Reveals Apple-Google Search Relationship
- Tue, 4:40 PM
- Apple Removed a Third Party Google Stadia App
- Tue, 4:10 PM
- Address Bar Spoofing Bugs Surface on Mobile Browsers
- Tue, 3:11 PM
- AT&T Boss Says Tech Giants Have Too Much Power in Streaming
- Tue, 3:09 PM
- Mophie Introduces 4-in-1 Wireless Charging Mat
- Tue, 3:04 PM
- It Looks Like The Peanuts Holiday Specials Will be Exclusive to Apple TV+
- Tue, 2:29 PM
- Magnetic Fidget Lightning Cable 3-Pack: $51.99
- Tue, 2:24 PM
- iOS 14.1 And iPadOS 14.1 Now Available
- Tue, 1:31 PM
- Apple Allows Xbox App Update, But Not Microsoft xCloud
- Tue, 1:31 PM
- Apple's Environmental Moves – TMO Daily Observations 2020-10-20
- Tue, 10:49 AM
- Molekule Air Mini+ Purifier Now Supports HomeKit