Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Thu, 9:44 PM
- Airpod Skins Add a Splash of Colorful Protection to Apple AirPods
- Thu, 6:05 PM
- New Type Of Smart Mirror Launches Called Daptly Display
- Thu, 6:00 PM
- Apple May Charge $30 to Rent Movies Still in Theaters
- Thu, 5:45 PM
- macOS: How to Change the Default Email Client
- Thu, 5:37 PM
- GameMaker Studio 2 for Mac in Closed Beta
- Thu, 5:24 PM
- Apple, Why Don't You Want Folks Sending Secure Emails on iOS?
- Thu, 1:41 PM
- Apple Buys Workflow, iTunes First-run Movie Rentals - TMO Daily Observations 2017-03-23
- Thu, 11:35 AM
- Apple: iCloud Extortionists Haven't Hacked into Our Systems
- Thu, 10:13 AM
- Here are the Features Apple Cut from Workflow
- Thu, 9:00 AM
- ARMOR-X Magnetic Charging Cable: $19.99
- Thu, 8:48 AM
- How to Check Out Your Printer's Webpage (And Why You Might Want To!)
- Wed, 10:23 PM
- Apple Acquires Workflow App and Developers, Makes Workflow Free Download