Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Thu, 5:41 PM
- Display Panel Orders Show iPhone Sales Higher Than Last Year
- Thu, 3:46 PM
- Adobe Launches Photoshop Elements 2023 and Premiere Elements 2023: Apple Silicon Upgrades, New AI Features and More
- Thu, 2:58 PM
- Ad-Free Instagram Experience 'OG App' Removed from Apple App Store
- Thu, 2:17 PM
- Apple Announces 4Q22 Earnings Call on October 27
- Thu, 2:10 PM
- iOS 16.1 Beta 3 Allows Users to Preload In-App Content After Install
- Thu, 1:43 PM
- Analysts Say, "What did Bloomberg Say?"
- Thu, 1:07 PM
- Hiker Tests the Apple Watch Ultra On A Three-Day Hiking and Backpacking Adventure in Scottish Highlands
- Thu, 12:49 PM
- Cloudflare Releases API That Will Bring iOS 16 Feature Bypassing CAPTCHAs to More Websites
- Thu, 11:56 AM
- Kuo: iPhone 15 May See Further Segmentation Between Pro and Pro Max
- Thu, 3:00 AM
- An Intervention Call and a Secret Science Project - TMO Daily Observations 2022-09-29
- Wed, 4:24 PM
- Apple TV+ Announces New Untitled Documentary Featuring 'Korea's Mermaids'
- Wed, 3:45 PM
- Apple Looking to Ready Apple Music Classical for Debut Sometime This Year