Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Tue, 9:58 PM
- And Now for the Leather Desk Pad and Wooden Apple Pencil Stand
- Tue, 9:13 PM
- Study Of AT&T Fiber Highlights Income Inequality and the Digital Divide
- Tue, 6:15 PM
- iOS Control Center Bug Is Freezing Certain iPhones
- Tue, 6:12 PM
- A Tor Browser Might Not Be Your Best Solution for Internet Privacy
- Tue, 4:03 PM
- Emergence of Robots Will, Remarkably, Force a Change in iPad Design
- Tue, 3:18 PM
- Macintosh Original Andy Hertzfeld to Keynote Vintage Computer Festival April 29th
- Tue, 2:55 PM
- Apple Introduces Today at Apple Events to Make its Stores the Place You Want to Hang Out
- Tue, 2:39 PM
- Alphabet's Waymo Offers 'Early Riders' Driverless Rides in Phoenix
- Tue, 1:38 PM
- Uber iPhone Tracking, Carpool Karaoke Delay - TMO Daily Observations 2017-04-25
- Tue, 12:02 PM
- Yet Another Report Pegs October, November for iPhone 8 Release
- Tue, 10:14 AM
- Apple Bumps April's Carpool Karaoke Launch to Later this Year
- Tue, 5:50 AM
- 1 Year Subscription to Instaread: $24.99