Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
TMO SCOOP - Apple Granted Patent for Tablet Mac (w/Illustrations) [UPDATE]
by , 5:10 PM EDT, May 10th, 2005
Apple Computer was granted a patent for an enigmatically titled "Electronic device" Tuesday, May 10th, 2005. Illustrations for the device clearly indicate it to be a tablet-style Macintosh, and patent filings specifically compare it to the "HP Compaq Tablet PC" and several other tablet machines.
The patent was filed on March 17th, 2004 (first broken by The Register in August, 2004 as noted in the comments), and granted by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) as US Design Patent No. D504,899 on May 10, 2005.
New in the issued patent is an illustration (see Figure 9 below) that demonstrates and confirms that the device is a handheld device with a touch screen.
The patent application noted that, "FIG. 9 is an exemplary diagram of the use of the electronic device thereof; [the] broken lines being shown [are] for illustrative [purposes] only, and form no part of the claimed design"
It's important to note that being granted a design patent does not necessarily mean that Apple has any intention of releasing a particular product, and Apple has filed for many design patents in recent years for products that did not make it to market.
Bryan Chaffin contributed to this article.
- Fri, 9:21 PM
- Apple Pencil Needs an Eraser and Swipe Gestures for Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Redo
- Fri, 3:26 PM
- Mac App Electrum Wallet With Backdoor Spotted in Wild
- Fri, 3:13 PM
- Apple Renews ‘Dear...’ for Second Season on Apple TV+
- Fri, 3:13 PM
- Offsite Backups: Insurance for Treasured Files
- Fri, 2:38 PM
- InvisibleShield Launches a Non-Newtonian Fluid Screen Protector
- Fri, 2:20 PM
- Microsoft Adds M1 Support to Visual Studio Code
- Fri, 2:10 PM
- Jay Blahnik Shows Us Inside the Apple Fitness+ Studio
- Fri, 1:53 PM
- Developers Receiving US$500 Credits for Send Back Developer Transition Kit Mac Minis
- Fri, 1:52 PM
- Ray Liotta Joins Apple TV+ Series ‘In With The Devil’
- Fri, 1:40 PM
- 2020 Smartwatch Sales Flat, But Apple Increases Market Share in Q4
- Fri, 1:06 PM
- Security Friday! Search Engines and Support - TMO Daily Observations 2021-03-04
- Fri, 1:03 PM
- Jamf Sees Boost From Strong Apple Enterprise Demand